1Z/AHU Billet CCV drain plates, shift knobs, and custom machining

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
How are everyone's coolant flanges doing? I've had about a dozen shipped out for a while, it would be cool to know how they're working out!

I'm also making a new batch of CCV plates today for anyone who's in need.

The flange itself seems to be fine, but I just can't get that connection to the three-way hose right. I had initially tried a fancy barbed fitting, which leaked, then I got a straight pipe like you used, but it still leaks. It wasn't too bad for a while, but I recently had to replace the three-way hose, and now it just leaks a lot. Maybe the new hose is just a little oversized, although it felt like it went on snug. I tried with the spring clamp first, then switched to a worm drive type, but I've replaced that twice now because if you tighten those too much, they just break. Did you have any issues with your straight pipe? I may have to try another kind of fitting. Or some RTV, but that seems a little to permanent. It is driving me crazy.

thechoochlyman

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Is the OD of the pipe very smooth? You may want to polish it up with some 230 grit sandpaper and then put a very small amount of permatex liquid thread sealant on it. But it does sound to me like the hose nipple may be a bit larger than the old one.

Be sure the pipe is sticking out far enough for it to go well down inside the hose. Maybe even bring some calipers to the hardware store and see if you can find another 3/4 NPT pipe with a slightly larger OD. You may even find something in brass that works.

Campbellonh

Veteran Member
TDI
formerly:Passat, 96, white and 10 Jetta, white gold
It seemed pretty smooth but I can try that and the thread sealant. It is long enough. It bottoms out where the hose necks down to a smaller diameter. Thanks.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Here is a custom-ordered coolant flange I just finished for a customer. It's made to fit an AHU engine block, accept a Mk1 Golf temperature sensor, and delete the coolant return line. It's going into a TDI Vanagon project.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I should take some photos, but though I've not, the tensioner pulley you made for me is doing wonderfully. I took the time to replace the bushing and put new grease in too. There is a little wiggle from the tensioner doing its job and working just right. Thank you for a custom piece that works so well, or as well as a metal cylinder should ;).

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Bump for a excellent product. My 1Z has not leaked a drop since installation. Yesterday, assisting my son in diagnosing & removing the temp. sensor coolant flange on his BRM, I told him of this product, the 1Z/AHU situation & your product. My comment was I am going have to tell Chooch that their is a need developing for his products in the BRM family.

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Bump for a excellent product. My 1Z has not leaked a drop since installation. Yesterday, assisting my son in diagnosing & removing the temp. sensor coolant flange on his BRM, I told him of this product, the 1Z/AHU situation & your product. My comment was I am going have to tell Chooch that their is a need developing for his products in the BRM family.
That's excellent! I'm always happy to hear success stories.

Is this the BRM flange you're talking about? Might be a bit more of a challenge, but I'd be up for examining one.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
That be the beast. If you want it, I will send you the one that came off the car yesterday. You might want to run a interest thread in the MkV forum to gage interest.

Did you ever do anything on the B4 thermostat housing?

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
That be the beast. If you want it, I will send you the one that came off the car yesterday. You might want to run a interest thread in the MkV forum to gage interest.

Did you ever do anything on the B4 thermostat housing?
That would be awesome. I'll PM you my address.

And no, never did much with the thermostat housing. I think a replacement is possible, but I might have to outsource some welding for it - probably the same situation for the BRM flange. Honestly, I should have outsourced welding for the 1Z flanges on the hose barbs, but I was trying to keep the cost as low as possible.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Can you go into more details on this? "complete serpentine roller assembly for 1Z/AHU with SKF 6203 bearing" Do you have the option to decrease the diameter so that I may run two (I'm trying to work out a serpentine conversion to eliminate that damn v belt)

thechoochlyman

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan
Can you go into more details on this? "complete serpentine roller assembly for 1Z/AHU with SKF 6203 bearing" Do you have the option to decrease the diameter so that I may run two (I'm trying to work out a serpentine conversion to eliminate that damn v belt)
Sure, I can make the pulley diameter in whatever size you need. Is everything else on the serp roller remaining the same?