Timing belts?

bbishop633

TDI
99.5 TDI
It's that time. This is the first timing belt I'm having done in this car since I got it so I need some input. I talked to a buddy of mine and he said he gets his off some website that gives 25% off for being a member of this forum, any truth to that? I was on idparts and wasn't sure if I should spend the extra money on the OEM kit or if the idparts kit will be fine? Just wondering what everyone is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
idparts.com is a fine vendor... as are boraparts.com, dieselgeek.com, metalmanparts.com, and a couple whose name escapes me at the moment...

Just make sure you don't take any shortcuts (such as not using the proper tools)... the procedure outlined here in the "Articles" section is quite thorough (except for a small error near the end)... www.myturbodiesel.com also has a good writeup.

Yuri

bbishop633

TDI
99.5 TDI
so basically it doesn't really matter if it's OEM or not? I just don't want to be taking any short cuts, if it makes a difference to spend a couple extra bucks I'm all for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
Here is the tool kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380601964649?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I would not buy the large overpriced kit since it just has a ton of unneeded parts. When you go to take the cam sprocket off, just remove the bearing cap and tap the gear off with a punch at the base of the gear. Which also makes installing the seal easier.

When I did my first belt, I ordered the kit from idparts, just to get it done and see who the rollers were made by. The next belt, I bought rollers and belt kit elsewhere, then bought the bolts and seals from idparts. Although, you need to know what good and bad parts are. As in most VW parts are just reboxed from a select manufacture, or even if it's not VW direct, a INA roller will always be a quality part across the board (as an example).

Whatever you do, don't buy the supper cheap-o ebay kits, they will take your motor out!

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
Here is the tool kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380601964649?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I would not buy the large overpriced kit since it just has a ton of unneeded parts. When you go to take the cam sprocket off, just remove the bearing cap and tap the gear off with a punch at the base of the gear. Which also makes installing the seal easier.

!
I am sorry you are wrong here every part in a IDPARTS kit needs to be used. Its like saying if the water pumps is not leaking do not replace it???
Bob Mann

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I am sorry you are wrong here every part in a IDPARTS kit needs to be used. Its like saying if the water pumps is not leaking do not replace it???
Bob Mann

You don't need to replace the roller studs which many people seem to buy from idparts thinking it's needed. Not necessary.

As for the original poster's wondering whether to buy OEM vs aftermarket parts, go with the lower cost kit from reputable places like idparts, boraparts.com, etc. They are sourced with the same high-quality parts as OEM. I have heard some of the parts are from the same source as OEM. I've used them on all the timing belt jobs I've done including my own cars with confidence.

bbishop633

TDI
99.5 TDI
ok cool thanks guys. This is not a job a plan on tackling myself, I just wanted to get the right kit ordered and then I'm taking it in to get done. A few guys I work with have the same older model cars so I'm just going to take it to the same guys they use. Just wanted some input.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm just going to take it to the same guys they use. Just wanted some input.
Wouldn't hurt to check with us to see if we heard good or bad things about them... (the closest well-known TDI tech to you is in Coral Springs, BTW...)

Also: please check with the tech to see if he'll permit you to bring your own parts (some don't), and if so, which kit he might prefer...

Yuri

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
YMZ is right get some feedback first and ask if you can bring your kit and what will the labor cost be.
I only let customers bring parts from IDPARTS.com to install at my shop.
I charge for a ALH timing belt job using a kit I supply from IDPARTS and new VW antifreeze and a free loaner car for a day $695.
Bob Mann