remove the vent guts easily !!!!

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Well after venting everytime I fuel my NB for the last 73k miles, I decided there has to be an easier way.

I pushed on the vent tab towards the outside of the filler and it fell on the ground.

It is white plastic with two o-rings and the vent tab mounts inside. I removed the inside black tab assembly by prying it out and saved it in case some day I want to restore the vent lock out tab.

I removed the one torx screw for the filler door and rubber gasket assembly, the metal clip for the flap lock and the entire fuel door with rubber gasket came out. That exposed where to reinsert the white plastic piece.

Hind sight says remove the filler door and gasket first to see where the vent goes. Even better is to remove the right rear tail light and bingo everything is right there !!

I now have an open vent all the time when the filler cap is off for refueling.

No violation of EPA code, one just needs to remember there is no air pocket in the tank when full so the best time to do this is before you are going to put 50 miles or so on the vehicle.

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
well I filled up today, first time since I took out the vent guts.
WOWEEE, as the tank filled to the point where I usually have to vent, all I heard was a whistle sound as the air escaped out the open vent.

I was able to fill to the brim very easily.

This is the best thing since sliced bread.

I strongly recommend this to all venters.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
hmmm

me thinks it is time for me to try this . . .

Hopefully i don't have to take as much crap off as you do on the NB

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Did this tonight. Okay I'm going to have to contain my excitement for a sec to offer this serious caution: When you go messing with your fuel system you are so-to-speak playing with fire and if you screw up in any way or modify the factory design you are absolutely on your own and furthermore risk serious damage to person and/or property! If you have a gasoline-powered vehicle you must just stop reading now because 1. it's all the more dangerous and 2. this modification will render your evaporative emissions system useless.

For an A4 Golf (2002):

Open fuel filler door. Remove Torx screw. Unscrew fuel cap. Remove door and inner trim by carefully pulling out at screw hole; a tab near the hinge holds the forward edge in place. Pull rubber drip hose out of fender without fear or hesitation.

To the rear of the fuel filler you will see a black plastic "finger" approx 1" diameter (left as you look at the filler neck). At end of said finger there is a slot with a white tab. Use flat screwdriver to pry at this tab and remove white check valve assembly. Helps to push on vent "button" from inside filler neck. Discard black "vent guts" and reinstall (important!!) white valve body. Enjoy easy to-the-brim filling!

Thanks again Frank!

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Whooo hooo Ted did it first
sounds like I can do this in the parking lot at lunch! Or at least this weekend . . ..

Thanks guys

and Ted - What evaporative emissions system?

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Yes I did it with tools I had in the spare tire well - if you carry a Torx driver you're set.

Evap is no big deal on diesels; this isn't hurting the environment one bit.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
The men in black suits from the Department of Environmental Protection....are watching us....they will round us up ..and one day hang us togeather ....from a gas pump

[ June 14, 2002, 12:24: Message edited by: Herm TDI ]

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Really this is no big deal, as diesel is so much less volatile than gasoline.

If you did this to a gas-powered car you would be venting hydrocarbons to the atmosphere at a terrible rate - with today's modern vehicles the fuel system is often the worst HC contributor - and you'd also be stupid, because defeating the vent does increase the chance of spillage, and spillage of gasoline is not to take lightly!

Diesel is less of a worry, just don't get it on your shoes! I think actually the "ventectomy" is safer as when I vented I usually had to peer into the filler to make sure the tab was engaged, with the attendant risk of fuel-in-eye. With ventectomy you can stand well aside.

Ted_Grozier

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GL 4-dr
Actung!

To be absolutely clear: You must reinstall the white valve carrier or your tank could leak at the filler neck!

Remove only the black vent "guts" as described above.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
couple notes to Ted's instructions.

Find that white tab. . . PUSH on it with a screw driver while pushing on the vent button. The white assembly comes out towards the rear.

Very simple the Rubber gasket, the door and the vent tube come out as one peice and go back in pretty easily.

took no time at all. I'll report on monday or tuesday about the improved filling without the guts!

BongoBrains

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Golf GLS Silver/Blk
I did mine yesterday. Maybe took 5 minutes. I filled up afterwards, and loved not having to deal with the valve. This is a 'no brainer' mod for any other "venting-addicts" out there.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Hmmm, I'm not finding this "white" tab to push on with the screw driver

Can I ask which way to push on the vent button? I'm guessing push it toward the rear of the car not the usual push in to vent???

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I dunno what it looks like on that ancient B4 of yours Lew, but on your other ones the A4 hs hte white tab kinda pointing down and towards the lower outside of the barrel sticking out on the left side of the filler neck.

Push the tab in (the torx wrench you used to remove the outside probably will work too) and with a finger push towards the rear on the vent button (hold it in the 'vent' position while pushing) - damn maybe i'd better get the camera out and show yall . . . hmmmm pics won't be up till monday but lemme see what I can do.

G

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
images taken - I'll post the pictures in this thread or on their own page as a "How to remove vent guts on an A4 G/J"

all thanks to Frank M's inspiration!

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
The good news is....I was trying to do the ventectomy on an A4 (I'm fortunate to have a diesel selection!) The better news is I did find the the little white spot on the lower left as Geoff described but alas....the bad news is pushing on that with a screwdriver and pushing on the vent black button didn't move anything!
I'll have to try my OTHER Golf to see if I can get that one to work!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Yippee!

Irpavlo, you just need to push HARD on the vent button once you have the little white "slot" pushed in. Mine stuck a bit, confounding me for a while. I just jammed a flat-blade screwdriver into the white slot so it stayed in place without me holding it. Then I got a phillips and set it in the little hole in the center of the vent button so I could push it to the "vent" position and toward the rear of the car at the same time. I needed a little leverage to get it to go. Pushed HARD on the litle button toward the rear of the car and POP! out it came. It will be real easy to do again if I want to do it on another car. Once you have it apart you will see how easy it really is.

Demon_Beetle

TDI
98 NB TDI,04 Golf TDI,15 Golf TDI
Hey fellas, I had the same problem where nothing wanted to move. Use a smaller screwdriver to press on the white release tab. While holding the white release tab push hard toword the rear of the car on the vent lever. you wont break it. Trust Us, it will fly out the rear. Now that you have it out, There is a black plastic clip that is holding the lever you normally push to vent. It is under tension from a spring inside so carefully remove the clip. I personnal placed the spring and clip back in and put the vent lever part in the bin with all the other VW OEM parts that were a waste.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tools needed:

-T-20 torx wrench
-Screwdriver from spare tire well (or any other flat screwdriver one prefers)

There are 14 photo documented steps on the following page:
Ventectomy page (edited to change link to pics page)

at step 7 push hard on the vent button while pusing with the screwdriver.

i moved the release latch for the fuel door so I could more easily get my big paws back there.

Put everything back in the way it came out . . . pay close attention to the metal tab on the latch - if it isn't exposed then you'll be unable to get the door open alone . . .

I'll be stopping for fuel a day early this afternoon to try it out . . .

Last edited:

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Thanks GeWilli! Excellent pictures, as usual.

As often as I fill up, I'll probably do that mod tomorrow. I'm assuming that this is a better solution than just "breaking it off" as has been discussed before.

Jeff (108.6K miles since 5/1/01 and climbing fast!)

Frank M

BANNED
TDI
NB
Originally posted by GeWilli:
Tools needed:

-T-20 torx wrench
-Screwdriver from spare tire well (or any other flat screwdriver one prefers)

There are 14 photo documented steps on the following page:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Nice pictures GeWilli. Wow access is alot better on your car than the NB. I had the extra step of removing tailight, all of 5 minutes extra.

I can't wait for fill ups now. The other day I got anxious and refueled at just below the ¼ mark. Took 12½ gallons whereas I am consistently refueling at 14½ to 15½ gallons.

I like the whistle noise too.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah Joe It'll put you in super street modified goofy horsepower class

I filled up last night - OH MY GOD talk about wonderful.

fantastic - took no time at all - man I wish I had done this from the get go.

I'd say this is a MANDATORY modifications for anyone doing the vent trick. even for those that aren't.

I LOVE IT.

LOOOOOOOVE it

(did I mention I think this is a FANTASTIC modification?)

THANKS FRANK

JOE OLEARY

Veteran Member
I am going to try it tonight after i bolt on my new stickies.(If i can get them balanced right today)
Look out auto-x,new tires and ventless.
Dont tell.
Joe

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Geez, I now want that mod! Question, just how hard is it to remove the rear tail light? Frank mentioned it for his NB. I drive one too. My tank is almost half full but I will go and fill it up after this mod anyway just to see how much of a difference it makes on the filler neck. If I read it right, with this mod, you now fill up like a gasser would.

Demon_Beetle

TDI
I filled up the demon beetle. I usually have to fight five or six cut offs in between the foam and hit/missing the vent lever.

Today though Hubba hubba !!!!

It filled to 14.2 gals before the foam cut it off. I waited about 20 sec. then finished filling to the rim. topped off at 14.9 gals. Just about sniffing fumes.

NB's dont have to remove the tail light. I didnt and besides having to push VERY HARD on the vent lever while pushing on the white tab it was very easy.

Demon_Beetle

TDI
I filled up the demon beetle. I usually have to fight five or six cut offs in between the foam and hit/missing the vent lever.

Today though Hubba hubba !!!!

It filled to 14.2 gals before the foam cut it off. I waited about 20 sec. then finished filling to the rim. topped off at 14.9 gals. Just about sniffing fumes.

NB's dont have to remove the tail light. I didnt and besides having to push VERY HARD on the vent lever while pushing on the white tab it was very easy.