let's play: Name That Piece of Metal from the Oil Pan!

Blacktree

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 5-spd
Have you done any engine work lately? It looks like maybe a bolt was put in the wrong hole, bottomed out, and caused metal to break off the other side.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds right. It's definetly cast and it sure looks like a bolt forced it loose.
Look inside the lower block, you may see where it came from. Can't remember if the oil pan bolts are thru holes, but I do believe the two bolts adjacent to the bell housing are longer.
Probably not critical.

lowrider12

TDI
2003 Golf ALH
thanks for answers!

a TDI trusted mechanic replaced the head (with new AMC) about 10 months ago. The head gasket & timing belt needed service so we figured we might as well throw a new head on it while we're at it.
He did replace leaking main seal, and clutch.

Do the wear lines on the 2nd pic add any info? They're all in the same direction. Might those lines be original from the factory?

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
thanks for answers!
a TDI trusted mechanic replaced the head (with new AMC) about 10 months ago. The head gasket & timing belt needed service so we figured we might as well throw a new head on it while we're at it.
He did replace leaking main seal, and clutch.
Do the wear lines on the 2nd pic add any info? They're all in the same direction. Might those lines be original from the factory?
Look for oil seeping from the affected bolt, as it now has a pathway to the outside.
The marks are from machining the inside of the block.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Looks like Iron not aluminum, correct? One of the Idler bolts maybe? Check for oil behind the front cover. OW!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Before anymore of you "armchair" mechanics just to any more conclusions I worked on it. I also used the correct bolts, the correct torque and methods on the car. There is a very good likely hood the part was broken and sitting in the lobed corner of the pan for some time. Long before I worked on it as the car had many miles on it.

And yes, it's a machined point on the block somewhere. Hard to say where though. There are many.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Sounds like you agree with the assessment of the "armchair" mechanics?

So why the attitude?

A simple "it wasn't me" would have sufficed. I expect you'd have made the same assumption if you weren't personally involved.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Sounds like you agree with the assessment of the "armchair" mechanics?

So why the attitude?

A simple "it wasn't me" would have sufficed. I expect you'd have made the same assumption if you weren't personally involved.
Many of us take our work very personally, I know I do (glad I don't work on cars).
Some previous posts sort of concluded it was from the back side of the rear main, from a too long fasteners, he's just saying, No, it's Not.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Many of us take our work very personally, I know I do (glad I don't work on cars).
Some previous posts sort of concluded it was from the back side of the rear main, from a too long fasteners, he's just saying, No, it's Not.
and where did he say it WASN'T from the rear main seal area? ... there are two machined areas inside the block that accept that size bolt on the opposite wall, one is the rear main, one is the front seal holder ... someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'll confirm later on one of the disassembled "armchair" :rolleyes: blocks i have in the shop

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI
There are indeed two spots it could come from looking at the block I have here. Rear main seems the probable one. But if you use the correct bolts. The ones that come in the the stock rear main you won't have an issue unless there was a machining defect or assembly damage at the factory. I worked on the car 11 months ago. I can't tell you if I did a rear main or not. if it was the issue it would leak. Badly.

jasonTDI

TDI
and where did he say it WASN'T from the rear main seal area? ... there are two machined areas inside the block that accept that size bolt on the opposite wall, one is the rear main, one is the front seal holder ... someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i'll confirm later on one of the disassembled "armchair" :rolleyes: blocks i have in the shop
Where's the middle finger emoji....:rolleyes::eek:

Chill out.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
There are indeed two spots it could come from looking at the block I have here. Rear main seems the probable one. But if you use the correct bolts. The ones that come in the the stock rear main you won't have an issue unless there was a machining defect or assembly damage at the factory. I worked on the car 11 months ago. I can't tell you if I did a rear main or not. if it was the issue it would leak. Badly.
possibly the front seal holder area then? it's uses sealer on the flange instead of a molded rubber gasket so it would not leak if broken through

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
No offense meant and none taken