Issue tightening down swaybar bushing

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
For my first time replacing the clutch, steering rack, and pretty much my entire front end, things have been going good, but I hit a snag today. Didnt quite have the sway bar bushing clamp lined up right while bolting it up and realized I was stripping it out. Could not get the bolt to re-thread after that. I did my best using a tap (held by vice-grips) on the edge of the opening and with a new bolt I was able to get it going again, but it stops just short of bottoming out and just doesn't get any tighter. Should I have run the tap all the way through? I would need to pick up a proper handle. Could I try washers? Leave it alone without torquing down this side? How likely is it to back out here? It's pretty tight on there.
Thanks.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
You can bash the captive nut off fairly easily with a hammer and chisel then just use a regular but and bolt.

Had to do that previously when a bolt snapped

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I did my best using a tap (held by vice-grips) on the edge of the opening and with a new bolt I was able to get it going again, but it stops just short of bottoming out and just doesn't get any tighter. Should I have run the tap all the way through? I would need to pick up a proper handle.
I've used a 12 point socket, extension, and T handle to tap where I couldn't get in.
Do you have a straight shot to the hole?

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
I've used a 12 point socket, extension, and T handle to tap where I couldn't get in.
Do you have a straight shot to the hole?
No, subframe is back in unfortunately, coming at it from the side. T handle is what I need to get I guess if I'm going to try the tap again. The thing is the angle is so funky.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
the bolt you're using is too long and it's bottoming on the sub frame
Was wondering about that, but I could have sworn I got the same size bolt.

I'll check on this tomorrow though. You may be right.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
You can bash the captive nut off fairly easily with a hammer and chisel then just use a regular but and bolt.

Had to do that previously when a bolt snapped
Contemplated doing this but worried that if the welds were strong and I wasn't able to knock it off I'd be in worse shape. Good to know it can be done, thanks.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Contemplated doing this but worried that if the welds were strong and I wasn't able to knock it off I'd be in worse shape. Good to know it can be done, thanks.

Funnily enough I thought the same but came across a thread on here where the guy did it so gave it a go, a couple of good hits it was off. The part the nuts welded to didn't even flinch.