Official list of HPFP Failures

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Looks like no injectors either?
He said MK5? Didn't know they had HPFP's?
Sure did. CR TDIs came out with the 2009 M.Y. Jetta. Golf followed 1 year later.

Mk V's had PDs from 2005.5-2006 (which were made well into the 2007 M.Y.), then there was a gap, and the 2009s came out with CRs; 2010 Golf was a Mk VI, but '10 Jetta was still the Mk V. The Mk "VI" Jetta came out in the 2011 M.Y.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Sure did. CR TDIs came out with the 2009 M.Y. Jetta. Golf followed 1 year later.
Mk V's had PDs from 2005.5-2006 (which were made well into the 2007 M.Y.), then there was a gap, and the 2009s came out with CRs; 2010 Golf was a Mk VI, but '10 Jetta was still the Mk V. The Mk "VI" Jetta came out in the 2011 M.Y.
So you are confirming what I said, MK5's don't have an HPFP. They have a tandem pump. ;)

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
No. 2009 Jetta JSW, and all 2009, 2010 Jettas, are CRTDIs, w/ HPFP.:p
LOL, I reread what was wrote, could have sworn 09 and up was MK6 but guess I am wrong, ;)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
09s were still MKV. The 10 JSW was a 5.5. The 11 Golf was a MKVI. The Jetta sedan became the NCS in 11.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
I can't believe this hasn't had a new post in 2 months! Hope all is well for everyone. Carry your lucky rabbit foot, horseshoe, etc!

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI Highline returned for refund
The vast majority of people owning these cars are turning them in so the number of member HPFP failures should go down.
I was thinking the same thing and I was also considering that allot of the cars aren't being driven so they can qualify for the buy back...lol Our class action lawsuit, concerning our buyback, is still before the courts in Canada. Since we have extended warranty, we are still using our car.

Last edited:

pschatzow

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
2014 Jetta TDI

Hey Guys,

Been having the flashing glow plug light and check engine light come on a bunch of times. Had the time to bring it in to scan the codes. P0089 & P0191. Found this forum so figured I would give and update:

Year:2014
Build Date:
Make/Model: VW Jetta
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 60k
Diesel Fuel Source: Exxon Sunoco (mainly on Garden State Parkway)
Additives: NO
Problem: Metal in fuel filter
Dealer: Shrewsbury VW

I explained to the dealer that this is my 4th VW. Explained the ODI investigation and that basically nothing changed in the car until 2015 (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm trying to hold out until next summer for VW to buyback the car and do not want to put anything into it. Thanks everyone.

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hey Guys,

Been having the flashing glow plug light and check engine light come on a bunch of times. Had the time to bring it in to scan the codes. P0089 & P0191. Found this forum so figured I would give and update:

Year:2014

Build Date:

Tranny: DSG, 6M

Mileage: 60k

Diesel Fuel Source: Exxon Sunoco (mainly on Garden State Parkway)

Additives: NO

Problem: Metal in fuel filter

Dealer: Shrewsbury VW

I explained to the dealer that this is my 4th VW. Explained the ODI investigation and that basically nothing changed in the car until 2015 (please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm trying to hold out until next summer for VW to buyback the car and do not want to put anything into it. Thanks everyone.

Not sure if you're going to have any luck with them putting time and money into this when you're going to do they buyback anyway. This is covered under warranty but they will most likely want you/push you into the buy back immediately.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pschatzow

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Not sure if you're going to have any luck with them putting time and money into this when you're going to do they buyback anyway. This is covered under warranty but they will most likely want you/push you into the buy back immediately.

Good luck

I had luck! Dealer replace HPFP covered by VWOE! $1500 in total cost. No pushback from dealer to take buyback now. I guess I was lucky.

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I had luck! Dealer replace HPFP covered by VWOE! $1500 in total cost. No pushback from dealer to take buyback now. I guess I was lucky.

Good work but judging by the total amount they only put the new pump in and didn't clean or replace anything else. That tab should have been around $6000-$8000

I would delay to much in getting the buy back done within the new warranty time of the pump.

pschatzow

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Good work but judging by the total amount they only put the new pump in and didn't clean or replace anything else. That tab should have been around $6000-$8000

I would delay to much in getting the buy back done within the new warranty time of the pump.

The paperwork said the cleaned out the system and put in a new fuel filter too. I'm hoping it gets me til next spring/summer 15-20k miles (I commute 80+ a day) keeping my fingers crossed. Thoughts?

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
The paperwork said the cleaned out the system and put in a new fuel filter too. I'm hoping it gets me til next spring/summer 15-20k miles (I commute 80+ a day) keeping my fingers crossed. Thoughts?
Be smart.

Get VW to take it back today.

vmb

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Well, I think my poor 09 may be succumbing to this...

Year: 2009
Build Date:
Tranny: DSG
Mileage: ~135k
Diesel Fuel Source: BP, Philips 66
Additives: Occasionally Howe's Diesel Treat
Problem: Back in March, started sputtering like a cylinder was not firing, let out acrid smelling grey smoke. Went away on it's own. Started again last week after refueling, got worse over the week, with it stalling once in a drive-thru, now has glow plug light blinking and CEL on, with it running in limp mode, sputtering as it does. Still lots of grey smoke. A few small metal flakes in filter housing, but nothing too serious. When it was driving fine, but just sputtering, the fuel consumption seemed normal.
Dealer: Baxter VW Omaha. Have not gone to the dealer yet.
Status: Going to be pulling codes and likely changing my dieselgate option to the buyback, assuming I'll be able to get it to the dealer...

At this point, with my transmission clunking about while shifing into 2nd, and when going from drive to park or neutral, buyback seems more economical. I don't want to, but...

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Well, I think my poor 09 may be succumbing to this...

Build Date:
Mileage: ~135k
Diesel Fuel Source: BP, Philips 66
Additives: Occasionally Howe's Diesel Treat
Problem: Back in March, started sputtering like a cylinder was not firing, let out acrid smelling grey smoke. Went away on it's own. Started again last week after refueling, got worse over the week, with it stalling once in a drive-thru, now has glow plug light blinking and CEL on, with it running in limp mode, sputtering as it does. Still lots of grey smoke. A few small metal flakes in filter housing, but nothing too serious. When it was driving fine, but just sputtering, the fuel consumption seemed normal.
Dealer: Baxter VW Omaha. Have not gone to the dealer yet.
Status: Going to be pulling codes and likely changing my dieselgate option to the buyback, assuming I'll be able to get it to the dealer...

At this point, with my transmission clunking about while shifing into 2nd, and when going from drive to park or neutral, buyback seems more economical. I don't want to, but...
There's so much "fail" in this scenario that it's tough to know where to begin.

I continue to be amazed that owners are willing to run their struggling engines, on the assumption that the engine will somehow heal itself.

Hope you make it to the buyback.

vmb

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Well, some good news, may have dodged a bullet.
Pulled codes this evening, P1237: Open circuit in injector #1 and misfires in cylinder #1, throwing code P0301. What little I was able to find points more to electrical problems/possible ECM failure.

Oh, I'm certain that the engine isn't going to get up and fix itself, regardless of what it is.
Staying off it until I can get all the lawyer crap figured out. Even if that means towing it three quarters of the way to the dealer on buyback day. "Sure guys, it runs perfectly fine."

Only reason I never suspected HPFP back in March was because there was no other symptoms. It wasn't until last week when things started to get really weird that the thought crossed my mind. It just seemed like a misfire, probably caused by an injector not opening properly. In fact, with the codes that were pulled, that seems to be the case.

Regardless, hopefully I'll be able to get something to work out.
Been eying some mk4 Golfs around here... That ALH is looking more and more appealing..

white2011

TDI
2011 Jetta
Year: 2011
Build Date: ? Car at dealer
Make/Model: Jetta
Tranny: 6M
Mileage: 73K
Diesel Fuel Source: Most recent fill up Shell - Use Shell, 76, Chevron
Additives: No
Problem: HPFP Failure - It occurred while driving - we slowed down for left turn, the car stalled and would not start. No warning lights were noticed. Luckily we were on a two lane road in a mountain town instead of the much busier roads we normally drive. Thankfully we have the extended towing with VW as we were 40+ miles away from a dealer.
Dealer: Moss Brothers VW in Moreno Valley, CA - This happened last Sunday and the dealer has been very helpful - quickly getting my husband to the only rental car company open on Sunday just before they closed. They also were very helpful to me, inviting me and my 2 german shepherds inside to wait and crafting a water bowl for my dogs. The service department has been very helpful keeping us updated on what is going on.
Status: Car is at dealer - they had to order some parts and it looks like it will be complete tomorrow. Dealer has indicated it will be covered under warranty.

Update: Our initial experience with Moss Brothers with the Sunday sales team and initial calls from service were excellent. However by the end of the week they deteriorated. It was difficult to get information on the status. When we got the car back not only was it not washed, but they had left the windows open and there was bird poop inside.

Last edited:

cwdykstra

TDI
2009 Jetta
Year:2009
Build Date: 10.08
Mileage: approx 128,000 miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Various, Last 4 fill ups at Chevron
Additives: None
Problem: Within 10 miles of a fill-up, while going up a mountain highway, Engine Malfunction light along with Glow Plug light illuminated and car stalled almost immediately. Car would turn over but not start again. Towed to dealer and the dealer says HPFP has had a catastrophic failure.
Dealer: Lithia Volkswagen Reno, NV
Status: Dealer has suggested calling VW to request help paying for the repairs, as the part is past the extended 120,000 mile warranty period for the pump and they cannot authorize it in house. Called once and VW refused to help with repairs. Not sure what to do now.

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Year:2009
Build Date: 10.08
Mileage: approx 128,000 miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Various, Last 4 fill ups at Chevron
Additives: None
Problem: Within 10 miles of a fill-up, while going up a mountain highway, Engine Malfunction light along with Glow Plug light illuminated and car stalled almost immediately. Car would turn over but not start again. Towed to dealer and the dealer says HPFP has had a catastrophic failure.
Dealer: Lithia Volkswagen Reno, NV
Status: Dealer has suggested calling VW to request help paying for the repairs, as the part is past the extended 120,000 mile warranty period for the pump and they cannot authorize it in house. Called once and VW refused to help with repairs. Not sure what to do now.
That is tough, sorry to hear that.
Start researching...
Some people have had the repair done {paid for by VW} long after warranty has run out.
The media has been a very good source to get things done.
There are a few threads on people who have done the repairs themselves but have had really big problems along the way, making it not a good choice.
How much have you invested in the car..
Can you afford to just walk away from it?
It is approximately $7000US to $10000Cdn repair.

white2011

TDI
2011 Jetta
Gas Mileage Down Since HPFP Replacement

Since our repair at the end of May we are noticing worse mileage - maybe 3-5 mpg. Has anyone else seen this? I'm wondering if they are including a diesel pollution change as part of the repair.

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta
Build: 2008
Model: Jetta
Trans: 6 speed manual
Mileage: 104k ish
Fuel source: Mostly Hess, varying amounts of Shell, Racetrac, and once Wawa.
Additives: none at that time.
Problem: Stalled on 3 lane Rd. - thought maybe I had 3rd instead of 1st and stalled it. Restarted with lack of power. Was able to get into a parking lot, it then ran with notable lack of power. Stalled again, and from that point on, it only cranked. Had it towed to dealer at that time.

Mine failed around 104k miles. I was surprised by the amount of metal flakes. Dealer sent sample off to Michigan. Sample came back clean, so VW replaced pump along with injectors and other assorted items.
Oddly enough, the car exhaust now sounds a little throatier than it used to.

Last edited:

Steve67

TDI
2014 vw Passat Tdi
2014 Passat tdi hpfp failure/VW no help

Failed while driving on interstate. When these pumps quit it's very hazardous and dangerous situation for the driver. I wouldn't want an inexperienced driver behind the wheel trying to maneuver a powerless car through rush hour traffic.

VW Passat
DSG
69,000 miles
Kroger
VW has refused to give any assistance at all.
Reported to NHTSB

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Failed while driving on interstate. When these pumps quit it's very hazardous and dangerous situation for the driver. I wouldn't want an inexperienced driver behind the wheel trying to maneuver a powerless car through rush hour traffic.

VW Passat
DSG
69,000 miles
Kroger
Reported to NHTSB
Seriously!? That's crazy that they aren't going to help with fix, at all. Considering we all get extension on warranty that does cover turbo, fuel and emissions equipment, I can't believe they told you no help what so ever.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

VW Passat
DSG
69,000 miles
Kroger
Reported to NHTSB
Didn't the extended warranty apply to the Passat as well? 10y/120k miles unless it was misfueled. If it was bad fuel then you should go after Kroger.

Toronto

TDI
2009 Jetta
Just wondering as I follow this page even tho I sold my tdi years ago

Why are people still holding on to them if VW is offering everybody a buyback option ? You know about this hpfp failure and the scam regarding the emission, who would want to keep this car now ?

Smokin_Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wondering as I follow this page even tho I sold my tdi years ago

Why are people still holding on to them if VW is offering everybody a buyback option ? You know about this hpfp failure and the scam regarding the emission, who would want to keep this car now ?
They feel it won't happen to them...
Or they don't know about the problem with the hpfp..