Trunk release and Alarm

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
How is the electric trunk release and the alarm tied together?

For several months, the electric trunk release on the drivers door, and on the remote would not open the trunk (have to use the key in the trunk lid).

I thought it was the trunk release motor, and replaced that, the dash shows the trunk open or closed, so the wiring harness to the trunk release is good.

When I first troubleshooted the issue, VCDS showed the error "01134 - Alarm Horn (H12)", and Googling this error, does not provide a clear answer on the problem, only were the Alarm Horn is (in the right side front fender).

Today, I noticed that when I opened my car door, the car alarm was active, but the door was not latched, and when I opened the door, the flashers on the car were active, but no alarm.

So, that tells me that the alarm does not work (hence the VCDS error).
If I replace the alarm module in the fender, should the alarm start working, and my trunk release work?

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Some time ago, my car exhibited the same behavior as you are describing at the end of your message (alarm shows on, but door not latched). I also had problems with the driver door not opening / closing properly. The vehicle also exhibited other strange behavior, and it was all caused by a defective servo motor in the driver door's latch: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=451892 Take the latch apart and measure the DC resistance of the motor. If it isn't around 3 ohms, you found the problem.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The trunk harness has several wires, and they can be broken just enough to do some really strange things. Does not take much current to complete the circuit to tell the appropriate module that the trunk is latched, but it does take some current to run the opener actuator.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Since I know the alarm does not work, I probably will replace that first,
and then look into the wiring.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Today, I noticed that when I opened my car door, the car alarm was active, but the door was not latched, and when I opened the door, the flashers on the car were active, but no alarm.
Probably an electrical/mechanical issue with the drivers door latch and/or frayed wires in the drivers door harness. My drivers door will lock sometimes enough to arm the alarm but will still allow you to open up the drivers door which sets off the alarm.

The horn not sounding might be a defective horn or a wiring issue.

Since I know the alarm does not work, I probably will replace that first,
and then look into the wiring.
From what you said, the alarm does work except it is kind of wonky. Pull the boot back that is between the drivers door and the "A" pillar and look for frayed wires. The drivers door harness was a little to short on the early A5's causing fraying inside of the boot I mentioned.

Last edited:

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Drivers door latch and wiring harness was replaced several years ago.

I guess it could be the wiring from the trunk release switch in the door? But neither the switch on the door, or the remote button opens the door, so that
tells me the signal is not getting to the controller that electrically opens the trunk.

Anyone know which controller that would be, and were it is?