Left Outer CV boot replacement?

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
I need to do a LF wheel bearing/hub replacement in my MK5 Jetta, and before I started I noticed that the CV outer boot is cut.

Assuming that I have the hub/bearing assembly removed, can the CV boot be replaced without removing the entire axle assembly from the car?

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
You can replace it with the axle in the car. You will have to remove the joint to pull the bearing anyways. When I am doing these in the driveway, versus up in the air on a hoist, I just pull the axle. The LF is the easiest axle to pull, but as stated, you can do it in the car. As far as the boot goes, I prefer Lobro, which I believe is the supplier to VW. There is some durability questions on Miele and some of the other brands. Swapping the boot out is easy and there are a few videos and how to guides out there.

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
I just replaced both hubs on my 2006 Jetta and noticed the same problem with my LF boot. I just bought a new axle for $80. At that price I should have bought two. That's new not refurbished and comes with a lifetime warranty from AutoZone. I have a 190,000 miles on the car and I doubt I'll need another one before it dies. Pulling the axle out and replacing it shouldn't take more than an hour if you have all of the tools (XZN socket for the axle to transmission bolts).

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
When replacing the hub/bearing assembly, pat attention to the torque values and the sequence for the axle bolt. There is a parallel thread going on, you might want to take a look.

As for CV boot, VW requires a specific tightening torque of the clamps. Special tool is required for that to achieve satisfactionary results.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
This will be my project tomorrow...

I picked up a crimping tool to take care of the clamps... hopefully no nasty surprises tomorrow.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I just replaced both hubs on my 2006 Jetta and noticed the same problem with my LF boot. I just bought a new axle for $80. At that price I should have bought two. That's new not refurbished and comes with a lifetime warranty from AutoZone. I have a 190,000 miles on the car and I doubt I'll need another one before it dies. Pulling the axle out and replacing it shouldn't take more than an hour if you have all of the tools (XZN socket for the axle to transmission bolts).

I hope you're right, but keep your receipt because you are about to become an axle changing professional. VWs are know to eat new Chinese axles for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

After several changeouts most either spend the money for Raxles or rebuild their old ones. Although you can also swap sides, changing the outer cv joints from left to right. Or idparts has a new line of axles.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Tdijarhead is spot on. I have had luck with Napa though, re-manufactured axles for my 06 were OEM for $69.00. The core charge was cheap enough that I keep the old one as a spare.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Raxles is the way to go, that is where I bought both of my axles. I've just installed the passenger side axle of my BRM last night, one hour job. Installed the driver side 75k ago, still going strong.