Differential fluid change?

Bugger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB/2007 DuraMax
I have a 2001 NB TDI Automatic.
I changed the ATF today and I was trying to find a way to change the differential fluid.
Is it seperate from the automatic? Seems like it would be.
I searched my bentley manual and this site every one make mention of it but I can't find any proceedures, specs for oil,pictures or how to's
Can you steer me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Ken

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can access it through the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) hole in the upper part of the diff housing. So long as they are not leaking, they are generally not anything that needs to be messed with.

Bugger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB/2007 DuraMax
The case is wet(outside bottom) not dripping wet just wet. I need to at least check the level I have 167,000 miles on it.
Can the level be checked?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yes, there is a hash mark on the VSS drive gear itself.

Just to clarify:

The 01M automatic:

gearcase (the "transmission/planetary/torque convertor" part):
G-052-162-A1 (.5 L container, 1.0L is A2 suffix).

differential (the part we are talking about here, with the spider gears/final drive): G-052-145-A1/A2.

The diff only holds about .75 L total.

Bugger

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB/2007 DuraMax
I found it in my bently manuel it all in the wording they call it a final drive not a differential.
Takes synthetic gear oil SAE 75/90W
Now the only problem is there are 2 sensors one is called vehicle speed sensor and the other is called transmission vehicle speed sensor?
The vehicle speed sensor is not really accessable you need to unbolt the transmission from mounts and lower transmission 2 1/2 inches for access! Freaking VW what were they thinking! Even changing a head lamp on a NB is a bfd.
If I have to remove the transmission vehicle speed sensor to check the fluid level, it looks like I would only have to remove the air filter box to gain access.
You guys are a lot of help.
Thanks again.
Ken

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
You don't have to mess with the mounts. The sensor you need to remove is on the final drive, rear of the transmission - above the axle flanges. Might be easier to access from underneath.