differential fluid change

gstspeedster

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon(Bora Variant)
Hey everyone, I'm getting ready to partake in changing the filter and fluid on my 02 wagon. And most likely attempt the Kerma pressure mod as well. I've found the thread on changing the auto tranny fluid, but it mentions the diff oil is changed seperatly. Is there a thread on changing this oil as well? I couldn't find any thread via searching for it. Or is this the diff oil something you should not change? Thanks in advance.

gstspeedster

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats the thread I found about changing the tranny fluid, but I was wondering if there happen to be one on changing the Diff fluid since I don't have a Bentely manual. Or does this mean I should go out and get one??:) Thanks for your help..

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
You know what? I just went through my Bentley and I couldn't find a damned thing about draining the final drive fluid. I could find checking, quantity and even the part #, but not draining. If it were me, I think I'd use my oil extractor. Anyway, pull the speedometer gear to check the level. Just the tip should be wet when it comes out. .75L of 75w90 ( G-052-045-A1 ) would do. Hope you have a Vag-COM, you'll need it for changing the ATF.

gstspeedster

Veteran Member
TDI
My brother has a Vag-Com for his GTI, I'm assuming its the same for a VWs.. I just got into the VW thing. Since my BMW X5 4.4i was getting 13mpg in town and 17 on the highway and premium gas prices, it was a no brainer to switch to a TDI for me. But I do love my wagon now!! Well I have a Pella extractor, maybe I'll do it that way as well. I guess I will have to go get me one of those manuals, I don't know where anything is on this car. I've just been using the online how to dos and videos to figure things out. I wonder if someone has a manual in electronic form?? So where is the speedogear located??:confused: Yeah, see how much I know about these things. And I want to change my own timing belt as well..:eek: Don't know if I'm ready for that one.. Well thanks again for your help.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Save the tmming blet for later. Waaaaaay later. I consider myself a pretty good home mechanic. A timing belt is something I have yet to do and won't unless someone who has done them before can guide me the first time.