HOW TO: A4 Intake manifold cleaning

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Just chisel the head off and remove the rest of the bolt remains once you have the tube off.

Of bring it by my place. :D

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I wasn't planning to remove the connecting pipe (as the nuts holding it to the turbo look also welded in place and I'm afraid the studs from the turbo will break off)... if I cut off the bolt heads, will I be able to pull the cooler away from the connecting pipe once I remove the 3 screws holding the cooler to the intake manifold? I suppose I can destroy the cooler, as I've got a spare sitting around... should only take me a couple of weeks to find it...

Y.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
This is where a set of torches come in real handy for heating nuts and bolts in order to unsieze.

It's tight back there - I have never tried to remove the cooler with the pipe still attached. I would think that a ratchet strap pulling the engine forward a little might be beneficial if you are going to try.

Do you have the car apart yet or is it still driveable?

Also, I have a spare, clean intake for an ALH - its yours if you want it.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
The car's partially apart... (up to the stage where the cooler needs to be detached...) Only torches I have are MAPP and Propane... maybe I'll give up and drive the car and drop it off at Brandon's... I suspect that the turbo may need to be replaced as well... (too much oil in the intercooler pipes for my taste... although if I can improve the airflow, it might be passable...)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I guess "thanks" for putting together these YouTube videos, but it'd probably be viewed more favourably if you were to have a bit more input into the tdiclub community before you spam a bunch of threads with the obvious aim of trying to up the view count on your YouTube channel.