AC relay, 2004 TDI Passat

Stu04TDI

TDI
2004 Passat and 2006 Jetta
Question? I just ordered a relay from Westportparts.com. Are they legitimate? Or did I just give this guy my money? Will I get at least a week of AC before I sink $50 to the dealer? AC s/n 8D0919578A. Cost was $15 for the relay, plus shipping. :eek:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Sure hope you checked your electric fan (passenger side, radiator) to see it it is working. If it doesn't work, A/C will come on and cycle off when the compressor gets too hot. Guy I bought our 2nd Passat from put in three A/C relays before finding out the fan was toasted.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
I wouldn't even put it in. This guy sell low quality Chinese crap. Search on Prothe on the forum more info. Then again, the worst that could happen is that your car could catch fire.:eek:

BTW, if you have or know someone with a soldering iron, these relays are very easy to fix

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=261933

Last edited:

Stu04TDI

TDI
Thanks, I should have read these posts first. For all newbies on this site, please read all of the tech forums on who to buy from and not to buy from. I'm glad it is only $15 bucks. After reading about the relay, I pulled it out of the car and took it apart to find the point solder joint cracked. I applied new solder and magic; I now have cold air again. It pays to read these post!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thanks, I should have read these posts first. For all newbies on this site, please read all of the tech forums on who to buy from and not to buy from. I'm glad it is only $15 bucks. After reading about the relay, I pulled it out of the car and took it apart to find the point solder joint cracked. I applied new solder and magic; I now have cold air again. It pays to read these post!
Nice!!;)

Stu04TDI

TDI
Update, justed received an email telling me the a/c relay was out of stock and did I want a refund or did I want them to send it to me when they got it in. I said "refund"! Thanks again you great bunch of VW brains!!!! YOU saved my wallet and my car!!!!

SeaBlood

TDI
2005 Passat sedan
A/C relay fixed

Almost 3 1/2 years now and this spring the A/C just started acting up in March when a sporadic hot day materialize and I tested the unit.Took between 5-10 minutes to flash up then and has anytime since then. Figured on getting around to the relay soon but today clinched it when at 28 deg c today it finally started and then quit after 3 min. Got home pulled the fuse panel cover off, pulled relay, identified one problem connection, soldered her up. cool air again.
well done TDI forum!!!!!!!