Tires for '09 Sportwagen TDI

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
My OEM tires are Bridgestone Turanza EL400, which I wore out in 21k miles in my recently traded (hooray!!) Toyota Camry Hybrid. These were dreadful tires on the Camry Hybrid.
Question: Different size on TDI (205-55/16 vs Camry 215-60/16). Can I expect that this size is going to be any better than the ones on the Camry? I know the tire itself gets abysmal ratings at Tire Rack, but I've only read reviews from Camry Hybrid owners.
In Arlington, VA, we only get the feared ice storms, and the occassional 2-4 inches of snow, so I'm reluctant to get dedicated winter tires, so...
My wife won't be happy about a tire changeover (dealer refused to assist..big surprise?)...as the premature tire wear on the Camry was one of (many) excuses I used to trade for the TDI.

KS_Jetta

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed Manual
My Jetta came with the Continentals which lasted 24,000 miles (down past the wear bars). I replaced with Bridgestone Potenzas which do great in rain and do handle better BUT be aware of rolling resistance. I lost 2-3 MPG when I switched. After the fact I researched and noticed a considerable difference in the rolling resistance. I found another set of VW rims on eBay at not too bad of a price and put dedicated snows on them. Wow. Can push snow with the front bumper. With the freezing rain and snow we get around here and my 160 mile per day commute - insurance. It's not like I won't use up tires - this way I can spread the miles.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
My car came with Michelin Pilot MXM4s (225/45R17) and I have been happy with them in all weather conditions. I do wish they had more grip in the dry, but c'est la vie.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I don't particularly care for the Turanzas, but they are not as bad as the Dunlops I had on my previous Civic Hybrid. Both sets of OEMs (on both cars) had horrible reviews/ratings on TireRack, and I value those ratings because they've always been accurate in my experiences. When my Turanzas are shot, I'll most likely be replacing with the Yokohama AVID V4s which I have on my Mazda.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
KS_Jetta said:
My Jetta came with the Continentals which lasted 24,000 miles (down past the wear bars).
Crazyness. I have 21k on my conti's and they look like they have at least 40-50% left.

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
velociT said:
Crazyness. I have 21k on my conti's and they look like they have at least 40-50% left.
My Conti's lasted to about 9k... Then I sold them :D and my stock rims.

To be serious though, I did not like them very much. They were an ok passenger tire IMHO, not bad in the wet, not bad dry either. But for me, wanting to have some fun, they were real easy to chew up pushing the car though, and just did not have that much grip when doing so of course.

So to the OP you are just looking for a passenger tire no? Then driven reasonably the Conti's are a good tire. Btw you did not say what brand you have. Some got Michelin's or others as their OEM tires.

Edit: Ok so never mind you got the same "Bridgestone Turanza EL400" on your TDIs wheels?

Last edited:

barshnik

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE w/roof, nav
Are there any ill effects (other than the MFD, speedo, and odo reading slightly low) from using a slightly 'taller' 205x60x16 than the stock 205x55x16?

Typically, the tire diameter is 25.7" (60's) vs. 25.0 (55's) inches, with of course slightly fewer revs per mile for the 60's. No engine management issues? Maybe slightly better highway MPG's due to slightly fewer rpm's? Thanks,

John F

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Yes, my JSW has Turanza EL400, same as the Camry Hybrid, different size.
Question was, will the different size give me substantially different performance?
I need the perfect compromise (!) between summer/winter, not dedicated summer AND dedicated winter tires. I love the Michelin Exaltos on my 93 Audi S-4. They do everything much better than average...
Thanks for the comments.