Great car weekend!

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
I did my TB on the '01 5-spd (it has 56k miles but I wanted to get it done before the heat sets in). Went very well!! Upon first start up after the new belt, it fired right up like it was last Friday! I was hoping that I would have to mess with the pump according to the vagcom but it was perfect! I was getting 56 mpg before but now, I should be getting even higher according to its new setting.

The old setting put me right in the middle of the graph but the new setting puts me up at the top of the shaded region. According to Pete (drivbiwire), this setting should increase the fuel economy.

Different topic: I asked this before but got no answers. My question was 'where is the speedo gear drive on an auto?'. Look at the vacuum pump then look nearly straight down behind it. It's black & has wires going into it. Remove the wires, jack up the car, remove the bottom engine cover and use a 22mm wrench from underneath. I sucked out the gear lube and refilled with new lube. This took about 15 minutes. The capacity is only 0.7L and I was able to suck it all out.
I wanted to change this with the tranny fluid but had no time to find it. This is a 'must' to anyone changing their auto tranny fluid.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
jim,

did ya see the PDF that DBW wrote on the auto fluid change? And all the pictures? It might be in there . . .

Its on my TDI page or for the PDF link:autoFluidchange.pdf

as for the mileage . . . if you are still in the gray shaded area, rumor has it that you won't see any difference. The box just is the range that the car CAN get the proper timing. To get it more advanced you need to do the adaptation stuff that Boundless has been fiddlin with. But I wouldn't touch the adaptations if the car is modified at all.

glad to hear the weekend went well!!!

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info Geoff!
That's a lot of info you have on your page.

I forgot to mention that I also put my ss plate in betwn the exhaust inlet & the EGR. I cleaned the IC a month ago or so & left off the vacuum line--no engine light came on. When I did the TB this past weekend, it was great to see the EGR valve look exactly like it did last month!

A tip on the valve cover. Thank goodness my dad helped w/ the first TB. When I removed the cover, he immediately looked at the 4 inner corners near the cam where the cover hits. Sure enough, they used black RTV gasket maker from the factory. Just a dab on each of the 4 spots. He didn't tell me of this before when we were planning the TB change but in the trunk of his car he brought his black RTV gasket maker because he suspected this to be the case. It's very hard to see if you're not looking for it since it's black & matches the gasket on the valve cover. BTW, he drove down from Ohio to do this--gasket maker & all

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Pete, thanks but that's not the speed gear. The speed gear is pictured in the Bentley but not its location. This is what's used as a dipstick for the final drive gear lube. This is also where you change the final gear lube. Anyways, it's in back of the vacuum pump but on the tranny of coarse--just above the left (driver's side) axle. If I have time tonight, I'll check my 'thing' (parts cd) & email you a pic. BTW, I did have the part out that you show in your pic.

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
Pete,

I don't know how to email a pic from the 'thing' but here's the info :

Model=JEM
Year=00
MG=4
SG=09
Illustration=409-50

It's number 10 called pinion-speedometer

It doesn't show a good pic of its location but it's easier to get to from underneath the car & using a 22mm open end.