Brake Wear Indicator Light Problem

kenney1880

TDI
2002 Jetta
I just changed my front brakes last night on my 2002 Jetta TDI and I replaced the pads on the drivers side with non indicator style pads. I was thinking that i could just jumper out that plug and put rtv over the connector. Has anyone done this and is their anything else that causes that light to come on? Saw some talk about brake fluid resovoir? Does that cause that light to come on too? I swore my owners manual said it was brake wear indicator light. I assumed it was the indicator on my drivers side pad.

I guess I want to know if that light is looking for a ground or if being open or (unplugged) will prevent the light from coming on?

If someone has the circuitry on this I would love to take a look at it.

Thanks
T

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The red "brake" lamp comes on for low fluid or loss of pressure in one circuit (senses pressure differential).

The orange lamp that looks like two brake shoes and a round circle is the low pad indicator.

So which one is on?

And what pads did you install that did not come with a sensor??? Some Autozone crappy parts or something?

Ate, TRW, Pagid, Mintex, Jurid all come with the sensor.

kenney1880

TDI
2002 Jetta
Yeh the orange or in the Aviation world (Amber) indicator.

I can't remember the brand. I had the option of getting the ones with the sensor or without. I chose without simply cause i don't like that indicator. They were like $40 a piece.

I can't afford exspensive auto parts at the moment. So these will do for now.

I guess I feel like when I rotate my tires and check the brakes I have a better handle on when to change my pads then the light does. The pads I replaced had life on them.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I agree the pad sensor is kind of useless, especially since the rears wear faster anyways.

You should be able to jump the wire (I simply use the old pad's sensor connector as a jumper) and the lamp will go out. On some models, you may need to drive the car to make the lamp go out, I forget which models are like that.

kenney1880

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks! I will use the old connector and use it as a jumper.

yes my rear pads were worn more then fronts. They lasted 80,000 miles.
Those are next. I just have to get that tool to push in the calipers.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
kenney1880 said:
Thanks! I will use the old connector and use it as a jumper.

yes my rear pads were worn more then fronts. They lasted 80,000 miles.
Those are next. I just have to get that tool to push in the calipers.
I used ATE semi-ceramic last time and thats what I did, no problems yet.
I just do a visual when changing seasons.