My rad fans are done..

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI(RIP), 2011 Jetta TDI Highline(RIP),2015 Passat TDI Highline
where is a good place to get new cooling fans?..the smaller one is missing a piece..so it vibrates..and the bigger one is seized.....or is there a better set up???.....thanks in advance...Ken

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
guess it depends if you're planning on keeping the car and spending money on it - the Source would be the way to go for used. I'd probably check with Precision if he can get jobber fans or not.

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok ,priced out the bigger fan.used is75...new from precision is 100...newfrom don valley vw is 280....lol going with precision
Also,has anyone done this before??? I need to know if I can replace the fan without taking out the rad???
Thanks ken

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually ,that's what I read first. Doesn't say how to remove fan though.
No need to test fan. Doesn't spin freely by hand. Its messed up.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The fans are mounted to the shroud with 3 x T27 torx screws. If you don't have a T27 torx bit, a T25 will also work. The wiring might be strapped to the shroud with zip ties? Find the harness, unplug and the swap should be pretty easy.

here is a picture from my alternator removal how-to showing the fan hanging under the car as it had to be removed to get the alternator out:

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks nigel,as always lol. So I guess I have to takeoff the metal skid plate then eh???

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
You may be able to get them from up top? I don't know as I have never tried. Give it a shot. But I will tell you it will be a lot easier to get the bottom fan screws with it off.

kennster

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok. Thanks again guys. Also nigel,do you have anymore vagcom/laptop combos?mine got stolen outta the car. Thanks