How good is the Mann filter?

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Mann oil filters seem to get good reviews on the forum. I bought the Mann W840/2, as specified on their German website(for the AHU engine) and compared to the OEM filter #068115561E. The Mann is made in Germany and the OEM is made in France. Here they are, side by side.
If I managed to load the picture correctly, you can see difference's in the inlet holes...4 on the Mann, 6 on the OEM. The Mann also seems to lack an anti-drainback valve. These are not the same filters. Price for the OEM, before tax, was $22.90, the Mann was $20.40. I saved around $3 for a filter that I hesitate to use. What a deal!

M

mickey

VW issues a specification, and then buys filters from whoever meets that specification the cheapest. I doubt very seriously that there is one OEM supplier for all their filters! Mann is sometimes the supplier...sometimes not.

Generally speaking, "Made in Germany" parts for German cars are excellent.

-mickey

Dieselfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, red. 1998 Jetta, black. 2002 Golf, black. 2003 Golf, red. 1999.5 Golf, red. 2005 Golf, red.
I get Baldwin filters from my local Chevron oil distributor for 5.49 plus tax. These are also a very good high quality filter. I don't know if shipping would be cost prohibitive or not but I would be happy to ship them up to you if you like.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I used to put Mann filters on my old Rabbit Diesel and my Audi Diesel. Seemed to always work well. That particular filter did have an anit-drainback valve, but I don't know about the units for the TDI.

gardentender

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GL 5 spd, 2001, Galactic Blue
for my TDI, i've seen Mann Filters made in Germany, Spain and Austria.
while VW subcontracts out to Mann for some OEM filters, it appears that Mann, sub-subcontracts out to various suppliers, too.
nothing earthshaking here.

MacGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta, black
I would presume the Mann would meet or exceed specs, and be more than safe to use. They don't have to look identical to perform properly. Mann is definitely a good product.
That is a helluva price though.
I use Baldwin B114's I get local for ~$7cdn + tx, I could bring some to the T.O. gtg on the 19th or you should be able to get some local to you too...email them & find your local dealer.
They have the right pressure relief, unlike Hastings. Pays to check specs...

Joe Golf

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Passat 1.8T
I noticed that the IMPEX site shows only a cartridge [filter element] for the TDI and a filter can [disposable] for the gasser. What am I missing here?

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Joe:

Generally speaking, the A-3 TDI's use the spin-on filter and the A-4's get the larger cartridge media without metal wrapped around it.

ALCO's AHU TDI is an A-3 and you are correct that your 2002 TDI needs the filter cartridge and not the traditional spin-on style.

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
Thanks for the offers to ship/bring filters, but I'm OK for now...got a few in the garage. Having just gone out of warranty I can look around for alternatives to the dealer-stocked filters. They are an outrageous price! And I change them every 6,000 km's...probably too fussy (read anal) but it's a critical maintenance item.
Checked Balwin's website but they keep coming up with the Jetta 4, no matter whether I put in '99, '98, '97... but I'll figure it out. Also have a couple of 068115561B's left from my '95 Turbo Diesel. I wonder what's the difference between the "B" and the "E" aside from slight diameter difference and big price difference?