The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
I thoroughly enjoyed the progress of your build and have gained new knowledge during your project.
Thank you for sharing and hope this is repaired with some type of improvement at the same time.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Hey John glad you're OK and hope this really jump starts progress on the Porsche. It will be a learning experience with the insurance company but fixing it even at a salvage point is the only thing to do...unless swapping into a 4motion wagon.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
4motion maybe. I don't buy enough groceries to need a wagon :D

I'm pretty sure this is only going to slow down the Porsche progress due to cash flow :( I could probably make some progress with other parts of it though.

This weekend I'm getting my backup vehicle that I just purchased up to snuff(clutch to come another weekend, it needs it bad)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
How about a 4-motion wagon?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Sad day...
Heading south on a 4 lane highway out of town, car in front of me signals to take a left, slows down. I slow down with it, lady behind me is not paying any attention, speeding toward me, looks up, hits brakes, steers right, almost hits the ditch, steers left and BAM!
When I moved back in August last year, it only took a few days for me to realize what terrible drivers Minnesotans are. Nothing I've seen since then has caused me to change that opinion.

Also, bad driving seems to have no correlation with gender, age, or national origin.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Got a call from the adjuster, they still haven't gotten the valuation back, I'm guessing its hung up on the TDI part of the deal.

They estimated the damage at $3000+ The valuation will have to come back over $5000 for them to not consider it a total loss.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Structurally its repairable. When compared to a 1998 Passat V6 Tiptronic with 173,000 miles, they are calling it a total loss.... Compare it to a 99.5 jetta TDI, its repairable. I will dispute this and get it repaired.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What's with all of the good VWs getting totaled lately? :confused: :(

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
ughhhhhhhhh idiot drivers ***. sorry to see your nice passat get smashed! :(

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Sad, seems collectible VW's diesels make prime targets for moronic drivers.... then the hassle of fair valuation with insurance adjusters to make it right, despite it not being your fault. Hope you get that baby back on the road soon, looking new. Demand it be repainted in factory Glasurite paint. I've not found anything else as good yet.

etag1949

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta,1998 Jetta(sold)
I had this silly thought yesterday that, given the rarity of this particular car, might this be a TDIfest 2012 project? Dunno if it's done but the talent to get it done would certainly be there.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Repairable! No salvage stamp.

THe car is sitting right in the MIDDLE of my driveway(1 lane wide) 50-100 feet from my garage...

I have a check in the mail.

-ETA- its off to the side, in the dirt... gonna be fun getting it into the garage if I can't steer it.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
And if they did give any problems-just point this thread out to them;)......be careful not to park it too close to the street-you saw what happened to compu85's & VeeDub's Eco:(...... too many inattentive drivers these days:eek:.......

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Any progress on the repairs?

Repairable! No salvage stamp.

THe car is sitting right in the MIDDLE of my driveway(1 lane wide) 50-100 feet from my garage...

I have a check in the mail.

-ETA- its off to the side, in the dirt... gonna be fun getting it into the garage if I can't steer it.
What is the status of the repairs to the Passat? Any news?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I've been swamped with work, vacation, setting up a temporary daily driver, amongst other things where I haven't touched the car :(

Tomorrow I'm renting a dolly to pull a Jetta home to replace a head, at the same time I'll pull my Passat up to the garage so it will be next in line for repairs.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Spent a a little time on it yesterday, Sirpuddingfoot gave me a hand.
Donor car has a newer set of these:

And one of these that isn't broken off

The rest of the knuckle is still in here, lower control arms might be ok, I will see whats on the donor car before pulling them

Wheel is still good right?

And this is supposed to be the straight control arm

I might dismantle the front end on the donor car today. Its pretty low on my list of priorities but maybe I'll get to it.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Small update:

I replaced the broken suspension, bolted up a fender and front bumper cover and have been driving it for about a week. I'll take a Stage 3 TDI running winter tires in the summer over a 170hp Audi A4 any day of the week.

I'll stop by some body shops soon, I have a connection to one who just got back from vacation.

The support above the wheel that holds the fender(and does virtually nothing else) is tweaked upward 1/8-1/4" causing the fender to sit a little high, its not even pushed in. The door is a little mangled but still functions fine. The tab that bolts the front bumper to the fender is broken off so it hangs a little. Its a pretty sad looking car at the moment but hopefully it can get better soon.

I have some new exhaust clamps and a Vibrant resonator, along with another hanger so I can fix up the exhaust. I hope to get some time doing that soon. Right now my garage is completely occupied.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I felt like taking some pictures. I detailed the engine bay for the Eurowerks 6 car show.

This is all post accident, I've been driving it like this for a while now. Wheels are temporary.

shadowhand

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Next time I see this car, I'm going to take a good long look at the engine bay... I was a bit preoccupied last time. ;) Really amazing to see the old pictures and how much better it looks now.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
well we can set you up with some big injectors and give you a reason to come down again if you want ;)

I did my own alignment when I got it back together, I assumed the left side was good so I adjusted it until the steering wheel was straight and everything felt great.
I'm also running 16" wheels. My mileage went up almost 4MPG to 45-46mpg with the same driving style(and I'm not afraid to get on it)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I wonder if someone at VWofUSA/Canada follows this string, thinking "why didn't we sell a ton of these here?"........We all know they would have if they had taken the risk. I'm sure I would have owned one by now if they had.......