2002 jetta tdi timing belt replaced - won't start

jharty

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS
Re: Von Zeplins question

I picked it up, got the engine to temp for a timing check via vagcom
Initially Timing Graphic showed yellow unable to graph due to advanced timing (timing number 93)

I had him adjust the IP per instructions (loosen 3 bolts, nudge the 22m sprocket)
First nudge counter clockwise to retard the advanced timing, brought it to 30-34 timing number, and halfway between blue and red.
Second Nudge Clockwise to advance timing brought the yellow line to between blue and green, with a timing number of 57-60

I opted to stop there for now.

I was working off of this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=240450
as the suggested 'just below blue line for optimized fuel efficiency with no affected performance' etc etc.

Is it recommended to just get it to the 70-72 per 'spec' or will this timing that it is at now do, what will the ramifications of a 57-60 timing spec bring me long term, short term etc.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I just set mine slightly advanced, so the green line on the Ross Tech is showing and it says slightly advanced on the bottom.

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
Is it recommended to just get it to the 70-72 per 'spec' or will this timing that it is at now do, what will the ramifications of a 57-60 timing spec bring me long term, short term etc.
That should be fine.
The 0.70-0.72mm spec is when using a mechanical dial indicator tool.
VagCom graph just uses a general graph with generalized numbers to show a place marker on the graph range.
VagCom numbers on timing graph do not reflect/parallel actual 0.xx millimeter numbers , although it would be very very nice if they were coordinated that way.

Sounds like you have successfully completed your first timing belt maintenance. Congrats !

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Amazing thread. let me get this straight, I have another car to drive, so it's OK if my car gets FUBARed by a mech learning how to work on my car.

The good part is that the mech in question had an open mind enough to learn how to complete the job correctly. Sometimes, maintaining loyalty to a trusted person can reap some rewarding benefits.