2006 Jetta P2564 Troubleshooting Help

hbabler

TDI
2006 Jetta
Good morning,
I hope that you guys can help me with some troubleshooting that I am doing on my car. I have an intermittent P2564 code that has been coming up, I have followed some troubleshooting procedures that I found on my turbo diesel but I am kind of stuck.

I have not been able to find any broken wires leading to the boost sensor, and the connector was free of corrosion.

Is there anyway to check the boost sensor signals both to and from it? I have been able to locate any information on what voltages the connector is supposed have. Are there specifications on what ohm readings the sensor is supposed to have?

I am going to pick up my mityvac out of storage later today to check the actuator and make sure that it is not leaking.

I am leaning towards the issue being the sensor itself but I want to be sure before I replace it.

Does anyone have new actuator assemblies for the BRM's any more? I found some old links but it seems that no ones stocks them anymore.

Thanks for the help.

CampanellaCoasting

TDI
2005 BEW Jetta GLS, 2004 BKW Touareg
Its most common for the wiring, but could be the turbo or another component.

1. Check for 5 V power supply on pin 1 Lilac/White (LI/WS) with they key in the ON position or with the engine RUNNING.

2. Check for ground on pin 3 Yellow/Green (GE/GN) at all times. This ground does go through the Engine Control Module (ECM).

3. Verify the integrity of the signal wire at pin 2 Green/Brown (GN/BR) to pin T60/9 Green/Black (GN/SW) at the ECM. Check for open circuit, short circuit to ground, short circuit to power and short circuit to another wire.

4. Manually move the wastegate rod to check for free play in the shaft and ease of movement.

5. Apply a vacuum to the wastegate with the key on. There should be a signal change of state on pin 2 as more or less vacuum is applied.

6. Check for carbon buildup on the variable vanes of the turbocharger.

Good luck and hope this helps.

hbabler

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for the post!
Pin 1 on my car is a ground.
Pin 2 seems to be the signal wire.
Pin 3 is 5vdc

Pin 2 and Pin 1 seem to have a little bit of a short, I have an auto ranging multimeter and I forgot to look and see what range it was in it was around .887 or something like that. I believe that it should have been open correct?

CampanellaCoasting

TDI
Thats all I have for you. Try and find a wiring diagram, but if the system checks don't work out you should be able to pinpoint what is wrong.

I could look through Alldata and find the diagram, but the testing procedure is right from a trusted website that our shop pays a lot of money each month to access.

Even the 2004 BEW has pin 1 as 5V reference. If you don't have 5V at pin 1, Check to see if there is voltage on the ground side. If so, you have corrosion or resistance somewhere in the ground.

Make sure you are backprobing the wires while the connector is plugged in. Connect the common lead directly to the battery.

Good luck.

CampanellaCoasting

TDI
I missed the part where you have problems between power and signal. I was on my lunch break and didn't have much time. Well at least you have a starting point now.

It sucks you have to trace out your wires now, but I would start in the connectors. Look for any signs of corrosion or anything that could carry electrical current between terminals.

If you find the connectors are ok, then you need to look at the wires themselves.

The two next most common problems are dirty vanes in the turbo or the sensor itself, but with a funky signal wire, definitely start there.

danimal17

TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI manual
Its most common for the wiring, but could be the turbo or another component.

1. Check for 5 V power supply on pin 1 Lilac/White (LI/WS) with they key in the ON position or with the engine RUNNING.

2. Check for ground on pin 3 Yellow/Green (GE/GN) at all times. This ground does go through the Engine Control Module (ECM).

3. Verify the integrity of the signal wire at pin 2 Green/Brown (GN/BR) to pin T60/9 Green/Black (GN/SW) at the ECM. Check for open circuit, short circuit to ground, short circuit to power and short circuit to another wire.

4. Manually move the wastegate rod to check for free play in the shaft and ease of movement.

5. Apply a vacuum to the wastegate with the key on. There should be a signal change of state on pin 2 as more or less vacuum is applied.

6. Check for carbon buildup on the variable vanes of the turbocharger.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Campanella, I have a P2564 and this post is super helpful. However, I've never touched my ECU. Is there enough access for me to get in there with power on, visually locate pin T60/9 and put a volt meter on it? Or are you suggesting to watch for a change in resistance across the pins on the ECU connector?

Thanks in advance.

Da Tow'd

TDI
none yet-'85 Golf n/a diesel
Hi Gang,
I'd like to get in on this conversation as I'm in the same boat.
I'm working on a '04 Jetta PD with the dreaded p2564 code 385k km
already cleaned the turbo with oven cleaner and have the vanes and vacuum pot moving with external vacuum pump
moves the rod and will hold vacuum
egr parts all cleaned
checking the wiring
no 5v or ground the wires and connector look clean
where is the ECU located ?

where did you guys find a break in your wires?
I have a VCDS
thanks
hank

danimal17

TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI manual
The breaks seem to be just a few inches from the actuator connector most times. The wires will wear at the opening of the loom by rubbing against the edge. Mine were actually torn when some snow and ice ripped off my plastic skid plate. There is a little "T" junction where the smaller loom joins into a larger one about 30 cm from the actuator. It's worth checking there while you're at it since the wires make a 90 deg turn.

If the wiring checks out, maybe you have a bad actuator, see here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=424002

Da Tow'd

TDI
I pulled the cover off the wires up to the Tee
the wires seem to go up toward the right front strut then into the cabin
I'm going chase the wires and stick a pin in the wire up top to check the continuity at the plug
a little dab of dielectric grease on the hole afterward
cheers

Da Tow'd

TDI
I found no connection in the #2 signal wire doing the a continuity test
green/brown wire broken about 20mm away from the plug
I snipped off the connector and soldered 3 new extension wires and shrink tubed them
thanks for the help
cheers
hank

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Hank did your car go into limp mode with the P2564?

Da Tow'd

TDI
I never drove it.
The TDi was delivered to my shop with check engine and airbag lights on
I'm trying to get it OK for the vehicle inspection.
It is from out of province so it needed to be inspected before she could get the plates