ringing from drivers side under load between 3k-4k rpm

ARGH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
these are probably silly newb explanations or just shut up and deal with the car's quirks, but oh what the hell. I have no mechanic skills, at all.

1] there is an intermittent ring coming from what I believe is the engine compartment from the drivers side area when the car is under load between 3k to 4k rpm. it is usually a faint ring but can get quite loud.

2] I also noticed that on a cold start when it reaches idle it likes to stumble somewhat, almost wanting to stall, but not quite. if I tap the accel pedal to blip the rpm's when they reach idle the car will stumble again, slightly.

3] one last thing, when I open the hood of the engine and rev the motor while standing I can hear a loud knock from the engine itself, almost as if pistons are hitting something. I do not hear this knock while driving the car, though.

points 2 and 3 might be normal because the engine only has 19k miles on it so maybe it is breaking in. but point 1 I know cannot be normal because it is extremely irritating.

I know I should just take it into the dealer to have these checked on but I am afraid I might be wasting their time or they wont be able to find anything because maybe the problem(s) have not gotten worse enough.

edit; 2012 tdi sportwagen manual trans, stock.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Don't wait too long. Even if they roll their eyes and think untoward things relating to yet another neurotic customer (assuming they can formulate such polysyllabic words in their teeny little minds:rolleyes:) you would then have it on record that something is wrong. This provides a history in case it gets catastrophic 100 miles past the warranty.

Cheers!

PH

ARGH

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagen 6MT
Don't wait too long. Even if they roll their eyes and think untoward things relating to yet another neurotic customer (assuming they can formulate such polysyllabic words in their teeny little minds:rolleyes:) you would then have it on record that something is wrong. This provides a history in case it gets catastrophic 100 miles past the warranty.

Cheers!

PH
good point!