Tire and suspension size question

TDI
02 jetta
Hi guys I am in the market for some new tires. My size is 195 60 15 and I am looking at a set of 195 45 15 and am wondering if anyone else runs low pros. I also am looking around to doing a suspension overhaul and the way I drive it looks to be time to fund something a little more aggressive. This is my first attempt at ever trying to build a suspension system so I am taking it one day at a time. Engine work is easy but I don't know the first thing to look for when upgrading suspension.

TDI
02 jetta
I am looking to make the ride mildly aggressive but have the ability to tune around. Eventually I would like to get a set of 16" rims but for now I want to reduce the tire height as much as possible. I also would like to drop the car 1" is there any information here that can help.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
I wouldn't recommend deviating from OE tire size significantly, especially going smaller. Your speedometer will be very inaccurate (you'll be going much slower than indicated) and your odometer will rack up more miles than you'll actually drive.

If you want low profile tires, you need larger diameter wheels.

For instance, you can maintain stock tire circumference with the following tire/wheel combinations:
195/65 15"
205/55 16"
225/45 17"
225/40 18"

If you're looking to drop an inch, lowering springs (at the minimum) are in your future. You could also consider a variety of other suspension mods including coilovers, upgraded control arm bushings, R32/TT front suspension conversion, rear sway bar, etc.

TDI
02 jetta
Thanks guys after much reading I now understand you're view. I will wait on changing tire size until I get a set of rims. I am also going to save for a set of coilovers and just take it easy for a little while while I do a bit of engine cleaning...

I am thinking about getting a 5sp mk4 tdi and gutting it. I want to build a rally car so I may keep the the automatic stock as the mpg green diesel and the 5sp for messing around or rainy days.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
A rally car? Oh, ok. Pay careful attention to the air filtering, and you'll probably want a good breather for yourself as well. It will be one of the things you'll need in order to cope with all the dirt kicked up by all the other racers blasting by you.

Cheers!

PH

TDI
02 jetta
Blah Blah Blah lol I'm not interested in racing. I say rally car as more of a example of the style of suspension I am interested in implementing in my car. It may not be a race car but I have a certain way with corners that tend to wear stock parts out hella fast. Especially on rainy days I am like a little kid again. I refuse to change the way I drive so I must make the car submit to my needs lol.

I am going to start another thread on the project this weekend.
Spoiler--- A/C system complete overhaul
Egr delete with race pipe
C/V axles L/R
Front struts- Left stock until $$ for coilovers
Cooling System complete flush
Full Front and Back Brake service Rotors/Pads System Flush
and anything else that raises its ugly little head.