Golf TDI's and reliability?

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Looking for an accurate look at reliability when it comes to the Golf TDI. Specifically, looking at long term reliability and maintenance upkeep.

How long will these engines last with regular maintenance upkeep? Looking through some threads and posts, it seems there are more than a few that have broken the 300,000+ mileage barrier.

It is hard to tell what kind of maintenance items will be required or expected though on a long term basis. Timing belts seem to be a big trend as far as them going out and needing to be replaced every so often (around every 70,000 miles from what I have gathered).

What I am really trying to figure out is if buying a used Golf TDI will be a good car that I can rely on with little maintenance. Or if it is something that is known for its maintenance issues, and its something that will be an on going project.

My brother had all kinds of issues with his Jetta (gas, not diesel), and I have gotten info from a couple individuals who expressed that they had multiple maintenance problems. But is this the norm? Or are these the guys who are in the very small percentage of people with issues?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
What I am really trying to figure out is if buying a used Golf TDI will be a good car that I can rely on with little maintenance. Or if it is something that is known for its maintenance issues, and its something that will be an on going project.
I think that's going to be dictated by the car you select. These cars do require a bit more attention. If you seek a gas 'n' go relationship, Call, this car is horribly wrong for you and the allure of "50 mpg" will be meaningless.

Many here seem to find $8,000 cars that require another $5,000 in catch-up maintenance. Don't get caught in that trap. Most dump these cars just as big $$$ maintenance is due.

Welcome aboard!

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Be specific. What is it that makes them specifically not "gas and go" cars?

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
On the MKIV Jetta which is almost the same as a golf, the engine as long as basic maintanence is done (normal stuff i.e. oil changes...) then the car will go on and on, the timing belt is rated for about 60k miles too 100k miles depending on the belt, as once you replace it you will buy a 100k belt but most came with a 60k belt from VW, but other than the timing belt you have the clutch which all depends on how and where you drive. They are very reliable IMO, and i am just starting to replace some minor engine seals and plugs after 11 years and 240k miles. The interior has a few bits that will break, but overall it is a well built piece of german engineering.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
It means it's not a Honda or other Asian car that can be ignored when it comes to maintenace/care. IOW, it won't agree with 99.68% of the American driving public ;)

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Looking for an accurate look at reliability when it comes to the Golf TDI. Specifically, looking at long term reliability and maintenance upkeep.

How long will these engines last with regular maintenance upkeep? Looking through some threads and posts, it seems there are more than a few that have broken the 300,000+ mileage barrier.

It is hard to tell what kind of maintenance items will be required or expected though on a long term basis. Timing belts seem to be a big trend as far as them going out and needing to be replaced every so often (around every 70,000 miles from what I have gathered).

My brother had all kinds of issues with his Jetta (gas, not diesel), and I have gotten info from a couple individuals who expressed that they had multiple maintenance problems. But is this the norm? Or are these the guys who are in the very small percentage of people with issues?
It all depends on the year/model and who had it before you. VW's wont tolerate neglect or misuse at all. They are more expensive to maintain/repair then your average Honda/Toyota and finding good mechanics to work on them is the biggest issue IMO. VW service departments will not only screw up your car but charge you a arm/leg for it.

You have to really love VW's to own one, they will drive you to drink otherwise.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I'm only at 360k miles on my 02 Golf TDI and it's still way too early to tell. :cool:

The TDI engine has a 25,000 hour life rating. The standard conversion from hours to miles is 45 miles/hour. That's 1.125 million miles! Maintain it properly and it will go that long. :cool: IIRC, a pic was posted in another "how long will it last?" thread of the odometer of a NB TDI somewhere in Texas with over 900k miles on it. :cool:

Last edited:

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
All more great info!

Timing belts, clutch's, will go out on everything, including Honda's. If these are the maint maintenance issues, I consider them still to be neglegable.

I just want to make sure there isn't a specific laundry list of things that are known to give many problems on a consistant basis.

1tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 99.5 Black
Like my 4runner has more maintenance issues too worry about and it a "Asian" car, I find the jetta much easy too work on too, it is much less suceptable to rust than the toyota is.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
All more great info!

Timing belts, clutch's, will go out on everything, including Honda's. If these are the maint maintenance issues, I consider them still to be neglegable.

I just want to make sure there isn't a specific laundry list of things that are known to give many problems on a consistant basis.
Not all cars run the amazing exploding DMF, which mine exploded at a piss poor 60k miles. The turbo didn't last much longer going at 80k miles.

CALL911

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Only VW knows accurately the reliability of their cars. Everything else will just depend who you talk to ....
...thats why I am asking the question on this TDI forum, so that I can find the actual people that own and maintain them to find out their experiences.

Hondroid

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed 5 door.
This was exactly the question I was going to ask as my first post.

Being a long time (1992) Honda Acura owner, I've come to like the reliability these cars offer. NEVER have I had to take a Honda in for repair and thus they are easy to work on (maintenance).

Having said, I like that new Golf TDI. And I see from Consumer Reports it beats out the Civic for reliability.

So, I'm going to take a gamble and buy a Golf, soon as I sell my Acura.

The only downside is the dealer doesn't have any. They say I have to wait till September. That's a long time without a vehicle.

Any input would be appreciated.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
1: It's a VW.
2: It's a Diesel.

Most VW engines are interference engines, meaning if the timing belt "goes out", $eriou$ damage is done to the engine. The timing belt needs to be changed by someone competent, using the required special tools, on or before the specified interval.

Hondroid

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed 5 door.
AAAHHHH! I bought a 2011 Golf TDI! No more Honda Acura.

Now I have to wait for it….maybe two weeks…maybe more…..

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
This forum cannot possibly do my reply justice. I need a russian funeral dirge playing softly with an evil manaical chuckling in the background...

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Bought my first TDI in Summer of 2005, a 2001 Golf with 38k miles from the original owner. Drove it for about 10k miles just to get to learn it, then did all the maintenance that I could think of. Timing belt, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, oil change and filter. Then I had it chipped (RC2), fantastic!!!! New clutch G60/VR6, evolution skid plate (saved the engine at least three times), .681 5th gear, Audi TT bushings, Koni reds, Golt GTI headlights, aux lighting. When I first got the car, it was averaging 40 - 45 mpg, now it is getting 47 -54 mpg. I put about 190k miles on it in four years, and the car almost paid for itself in fuel savings over the van I used to drive. It now has 233k miles on it, and my daughter is driving it. The only thing she'll have to do for the next year or so. is "fuel and go". She lives in Baltimore, so she won't be racking up a lot of miles. I hope that helps answer your question.:)