To avoid this mess in the future EPA (& CARB) should….

Status
Not open for further replies.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Do all the testing in a real world mold.

Just set aside the cost of "moving testing"

Put ALL cars (including gassers) on the roads for a few mile test.

The cheating will end. Maybe.

Then after the first time a car (or human) is damaged-crashed-bumped-harmed-stolen-whatever …

..all will return to the statuesque.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L

Then after the first time a car (or human) is damaged-crashed-bumped-harmed-stolen-whatever …

..all will return to the statuesque.
Status quo?

Do all the testing in a real world mold.

Just set aside the cost of "moving testing"

Put ALL cars (including gassers) on the roads for a few mile test.

The cheating will end. Maybe.
Regulatory agencies don't have the personnel, budget, or time to test every single passenger car and truck for sale in the United States.

Part of the reason the penalties are so harsh for VW is because manufacturers self-certify their cars. Heavily penalizing a manufacturer that self-certifies an illegal car sends a strong message to other manufacturers to follow the law.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Regulatory agencies don't have the personnel, budget, or time to test every single passenger car and truck for sale in the United States.

For sure Oklahoma can't-won't do testing.

The budget is broke.

Doubt it even is brought up for a vote. So bad ~`~` so sad ~`~` :eek:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The micro version:
Your neighbor is throwing his trash in your yard. Now it's your mess to clean up, not his.
Tell us what you really think about china. Last I heard they were opening one coal fired EP every week. ~`~`~` :eek:

Does anyone know for sure how many coal fired plants they (china) has GOING NOW?

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Just because California is so overcrowded with people and cars there should be no reason to hold the rest of us at ransom. Local municipalities could handle their own pollution problems in their way.
And that is what California is doing; handling their own pollution problems.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
When you have cars producing tailpipe emissions that are cleaner than the air being drawn in, you have to ask what emissions?

Carb needs to demand scrubbers to be mounted on all volcanos, NOx traps floated in every thunderstorm to neutralize NOx formed from lightening, and demand HC converters for forest fires...

Tongue in cheek, but emissions for cars are at a point that we have long passed the point of effective regulations where natural emissions exceed anything we could possibly produce.

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
Sure won't be long before they put up the signs "No Internal Combustion Engines Beyond this Point" and we will need an electric vehicle to proceed.
If that is what it takes than so be it.

msjulie

TDI
2011 tdi golf, 2013 tdi golf, 2014 tdi beetle convertible in the family
Sure won't be long before they put up the signs "No Internal Combustion Engines Beyond this Point" and we will need an electric vehicle to proceed.
If that is what it takes than so be it.
Some European cities going there .. thus the gas/electric hybrid. One thing about an EV, they do more smartly off the line...

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some European cities going there .. thus the gas/electric hybrid. One thing about an EV, they do more smartly off the line...
Bull roar on all EVs -- :mad:

and for the Lovers of such ~`~` for the most part they are burning COAL. Hello CARB

C C

TDI
GSW
One thing about an EV, they do more smartly off the line...
Do not expect to proceed much farther after "smartly off the line" occurs. Down time to refuel is painfully long and often.

I saw my first and only Tesla while I driving on the turnpike . . . but it was on a rollback.

msjulie

TDI
Do not expect to proceed much farther after "smartly off the line" occurs. Down time to refuel is painfully long and often.
I saw my first and only Tesla while I driving on the turnpike . . . but it was on a rollback.
Someday we can hope; along with the VWs in the house we have a lease on a Fiat 500e (how much different can you get). The commute is a slog anyway so the car is good there; employer offers free charging so haven't done that at home in months. A time and a place for everything maybe...

C C

TDI
GSW
. . . employer offers free charging . . .
Your employer is offering it free to you but everyone else is paying for it. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Send your fellow citizens a thank you note.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Your employer is offering it free to you but everyone else is paying for it. There is no such thing as a free lunch. Send your fellow citizens a thank you note.
Free is "free" the employer is encouraging the technology and paying the bill.
I don't think that you or the rest of the country are being billed for it.
Even if metered to the employee it would encourage the technology.
Many far North companies offer power outlets for engine heaters and this is not a big stretch from this practice.
Sounds more like sour grapes to me.
I might consider an electric car for commuting if my company had a charging station even if I paid for it.
Probably the electric car is the future, but it will be delayed until the right group has the only way to get the money out of the deal!.
I know all about the SPORT and FUN of ICE cars and I like fun cars, but I also consider transportation to be a utility to get me from point A to B.
Electric cars are now pretty dull, but don't necessarily have to be.
Also "Of course" the price of oil is dropping and the driving force of economy might well be counter to the development of electric vehicles.
All of that being said I like my TWO JSW TDIs.

msjulie

TDI
Free is "free" the employer is encouraging the technology and paying the bill.
This is correct; no taxpayers are funding this cost. In addition, whenever possible, the power source is all renewable FWIW

E cars great for shorter commutes, still respect the TDI for it's cross country legs; have done that twice now and nothing beats it..

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
MsJulie "you go girl" you have it right. Using the car for the job is what should happen. You wouldn't use your JSW to haul gravel.
Now besides if California solves it's pollution with EV's the rest of us won't be held hostage to so many rules which do not apply as the concentration of pollution is not at a harmful level in most of our communities.
Still looking for best of both worlds a TDI Hybrid.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've seen many Teslas in the Toronto area (More than Nissan Leafs by far), and I've never seen an EV on a tow truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.