new rims & snow tires

rustynutts

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Any one run snow tires with different rims in the winter ? If so, what size do you use or recommend ? I have a 2012 jetta sportwagen tdi

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I use 16” Steelies from tirerack.com for winter as many TDI’ers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
16 "steels as well for the winter. Over the years, I have been the most pleased with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
16 "steels as well for the winter. Over the years, I have been the most pleased with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 snow tires.
That's what i run. But we don't get a lot of snow here. If you do where you live you might want to try something more aggressive.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I have always used 15 & 16 inch wheels on my previous tdi that they would fit. On this Gen my understanding is that 16s are the smallest that will fit over the brakes. I happen to have an extra set of 17 inch wheels now so that is what I will use this year. General rule of thumb has been smaller wheels and narrower tires for snow.

In the mid-west where ice and compacted snow is as much a problem as deep snow many around here use the blizzaks. I've had very good luck with them. They do have very soft tread and short tread life. This will be my first winter in years with a more general snow tire so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

Bottom line is dedicated snow/ice tires are substantially better in those conditions than "all-season" (no season) tires.

rustynutts

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Prsa1 I see you are from Mpls. I am originally from the Fergus Falls area and the Blizzaks were used alot there also and that is the tire I was wanting to use. What size rim and tire set up do you recommend ?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Do you need to run TPMS Sensors on your winter tires ?
On the 2014 (I have been told) the tpms logic is driven by the wheel speed sensors (abs/traction control et AL). Not sure if your year is the same.

For cost, etc go with the smallest wheel you can, in this case 16,and the same or slightly narrower tire. Tire rack, etc can let you know wheel/tires that will fit and you can put the tire sizes into this site, below, to see what impact they have on speedo/odo.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Do you need to run TPMS Sensors on your winter tires ?
You dont need TPMS sensors on any tires MK6 Golf family cars all use the wheel speed sensors in the ABS system to tell if there is any difference in speed between all 4 wheels. If there is a difference (more than likely because one tire is going flat), beyond a pre set value, it triggers the TPMS light. You reset the base value of the system when you press and hold the TPMS button in your glovebox, the car then re-learns the value over the next few miles of driving. GM had the same system in their cars in the late 90's early 00's.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
205/55R16

Loyal to Nokian Hakkapeliitta, every time I drive something else I feel regret.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
205/55R16

Loyal to Nokian Hakkapeliitta, every time I drive something else I feel regret.

Really? Whats the average life of miles on those tires?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Thought I'd share this photo of my Wagon with Michelin X-Ice 3s on it from last Winter, in Madison WI.

Climbed the hill to the Capital on unplowed roads, no problem, except getting stuck behind a Civic with summer tires (and CA plates). Students!

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Really? Whats the average life of miles on those tires?

Like you, I also drive a lot so this is a key concern for me.

80k-100k km is not unusual, so about 50k-60k miles.

Their warranty is outstanding, which is a nice bonus.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Like you, I also drive a lot so this is a key concern for me.

80k-100k km is not unusual, so about 50k-60k miles.

Their warranty is outstanding, which is a nice bonus.

Awesome! We are about the same. I drive with Pirelli P7’s and average life is 70-80k miles and of course rotate and valance every oil changes....

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
and of course rotate and balance every oil changes....

You balance your tires EVERY oil change??

My tires are balanced once when they're put on the wheels and maybe 1x a yr when they are changed over from summer-to-winter or vice versa. Unless a tire is hopping or doing something weird there is no logical reason to have them re-balanced.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
You balance your tires EVERY oil change??

My tires are balanced once when they're put on the wheels and maybe 1x a yr when they are changed over from summer-to-winter or vice versa. Unless a tire is hopping or doing something weird there is no logical reason to have them re-balanced.
Exactly. The same with an alignment. No need to mess up things by doing them too often.