Tech-savvy teens help buyers learn how to use car features

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
All good I guess. Can you imagine those "tech savvy teens" not having a clue about the underlying process the technology controls? Just because you understand the interface part of the technology doesn't mean much.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Can you imagine those "tech savvy teens" trying to figure out a crank window, putting a key in the lock to open the door, reading a paper map, shifting a manual transmission?

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Can you imagine those "tech savvy teens" trying to figure out a crank window, putting a key in the lock to open the door, reading a paper map, shifting a manual transmission?
Much as I thoroughly enjoy generation bashing, all the feature packed cars and trucks for sale nowadays only offer features that are in demand.

Me thinks that the next big things will be the adoption of the self-driving car and "connected" cars that automatically ding your insurance and deduct a speeding fine from your bank account whenever you exceed the speed limit.

V8Boatbuilder

TDI
2013 Passat TDI, 2017 GSW TSI
Me thinks that the next big things will be the adoption of the self-driving car and "connected" cars that automatically ding your insurance and deduct a speeding fine from your bank account whenever you exceed the speed limit.
This. It's scary - because with devices like Progressive's "Snapshot" customers are already giving up even more liberty in the effort to save a few bucks.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
"Progressive Snapshot" is such a moron contrived device. What it does is tracks your rate of deceleration and the time of day you are driving.

So if I brake hard to avoid an animal crossing the road or have to go get milk at 11:00 o'clock at night, I get dinged.:confused:

Probably with snapshot the best thing is to never drive your car.........

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
<snip>Probably with snapshot the best thing is to never drive your car.........
Great rates, though, if your car stays parked 24/7.:rolleyes:

Reminds me of how a relative got around the breathalyzer mounted on one of his cars after about his 5th DUI... just had it mounted in one of his older vehicles and rarely ever drove it.

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Probably with snapshot the best thing is to never drive your car.........
To be honest, I wonder how long it will be before these devices are mandated for all road going vehicles.

I'm a freedom loving American and love the ability to let it rip on some open back roads, but from the "save the children" perspective I'm really surprised someone hasn't proposed this as legislation. "This" being a device that senses the speed limit on the road you're on and limits your car to that speed. Tie it to some nebulous "fighting terrorism" action and you could justify Federal grant funding to buy the devices and infrastructure without cost. That would also make it possible to directly tie the road tax you pay to the mileage you actually drive instead of fuel consumed. Win-win for both sides of the political aisle, as one side gets to hammer folks with more taxes and the other side gets the obscene corporate profits that will result from having the G pay for something required in all vehicles and installed on every mile of public road. Driving is a privilege, not a right, and if you don't like it take the bus.

Of course, when this does finally get proposed the Kardashians will be doing something stupid again so America will yawn and go back to the Twitterverse.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
If my mother needed help, she'd pass up on the dealer assistance and wait for me to set it up and to provide instruction. It's not calculus or organic chemistry but I get it that some people are mystified by consumer electronics.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
I understand that both Progressive and State Farm are being sued because their devices screw with the Can-Bus. There have been numerous instances of batteries being drained and driveability issues caused by this POS.
Then there is the fact that they can use this against you. This is more and more Big Brother. It's the same question I have for those who give out their personal info on social media; Why would you do that?

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
If my mother needed help, she'd pass up on the dealer assistance and wait for me to set it up and to provide instruction. It's not calculus or organic chemistry but I get it that some people are mystified by consumer electronics.
It's mainly because they do not take the time to read their owners manual.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The kind of snapshot type device I would like to see is one that would erase your ECU if your airbags went off.:rolleyes:

Kind of a 5th Amendment for cars, if you will. If the 5th applies to me, why shouldn't it apply to my electronics?

Last edited:

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
It's mainly because they do not take the time to read their owners manual.
I can understand that, after looking at the owners' manual for my '14 JSW: 3/4 page of warnings such as "Don't grab a moving belt" to every 1/4 page of actual information. What an abomination.