Brakes

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
I have 33000+ miles on my bug and am hearing a squeal already from the brakes. How long did your OEM brakes last on your Bug?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Squeal or grinding? We have a lot of brake noise complaints that are just surface rust and humidity. A couple hard stops later and most cars loose the noise.

35,950 on mine and the brakes still look new.

Jason

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
I'd have a look first. I did that once with an old Volvo only to find out that it was a small piece of gravel which wound up putting an 1/8"deep groove in the rotor. Just my 2¢.

JayT

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver Beetle, 2013, Moonrock
I'm at around 55,000 and looking good at inspection last month.

Interesting note though...at 40,000 mile at vw dealership (because it's dsg maintenance time :eek:) they wanted to replace my rotors because they had aforementioned rust on them. I of course told them to sod off.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
I see a lot of NE cars that need rotors long before the pads wear out. Some are down to 30-40% functional friction surface. I just keep an eye on mine and keep them clean. Maybe a lite cut on the lathe if they start getting bad.

But then my golf had 163K on its original brakes before some dimwit pulled out on me.

Jason

DouginNC

TDI
2013 Beetle Convertible
25,000 and they look new. Ours do squeal the first few stops in the morning but it completely goes away after they warm up.

Big Poppa Pump

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI
I'm at around 55,000 and looking good at inspection last month.

Interesting note though...at 40,000 mile at vw dealership (because it's dsg maintenance time :eek:) they wanted to replace my rotors because they had aforementioned rust on them. I of course told them to sod off.
What did you pay for the 40k service?