CR140 Stage 3

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
^^ that is the first law of TDI modding, the first HP are always the least costly. From there the cost per HP rises almost exponentially.

Installing my first CR170 / Stage 3 tune for a customer next week. Looking forward to seeing the result.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
What is the expected gain in hp and tq for the stage 3 mod?
Looks like the most current Stage 2 tune is getting about 185 whp and 350wtq.
Is this mod really only puling and extra 15hp and 10ft/lb? If so this makes a fairly spendy mod for those that need a stronger clutch.
It all depends on the dyno they're on. Some are reporting numbers that high, realistically its a +20hp gain for the standard Stage 3 tune, so if they saw 185whp on Stage 2, they're likely to see 205whp on that specific dyno, same day, same corrections, etc.

vwracer, its ok to have options, but don't be a broken record.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
What is the expected gain in hp and tq for the stage 3 mod?
Looks like the most current Stage 2 tune is getting about 185 whp and 350wtq.
Is this mod really only puling and extra 15hp and 10ft/lb? If so this makes a fairly spendy mod for those that need a stronger clutch.
You also have to look at area under the curve.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Bingo. High peak numbers with stock turbos often show curves that include a big torque spike, and an engine that tails off on HP approaching 4K. The larger turbo will show more area under the curve and more consistent power delivery throughout the rev range.

And it's not cheap. However, leaving the car stock is. If you want to save money don't modify.

steve05ram360

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 2D Golf
most people don't realize this... is a car more fun to drive with 20~30 hp/tq out on both ends of the curve or with just that extra 5 hp at the peak... I'd take 20~30 hp/tq under the peak any day. Plus if the curve is widened on both ends even better.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
For representation only, not for comparing numbers because they are 2 completely different vehicles in different states. It only accurately shows how much wider the powerband is. I never dynoed my car on Stage 2.

Last edited:

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
It appears you've got the stage 2 lines inverted... its makes it look like its pushing almost 300hp and but only 160 ft/lb.... either that or it was a turbo honda.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
For representation only, not for comparing numbers because they are 2 completely different vehicles in different states. It only accurately shows how much wider the powerband is. I never dynoed my car on Stage 2.

Excellent work as always.
A great example of a clear graph showing the true story.

jsf350

TDI
13 jetta tdi
stg 2 tune 185hp/350 tq ???
where is that seen? my stg 2 malone dyno'd 165/312... right on the money per malone website

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
It all depends on the dyno they're on. Some are reporting numbers that high, realistically its a +20hp gain for the standard Stage 3 tune, so if they saw 185whp on Stage 2, they're likely to see 205whp on that specific dyno, same day, same corrections, etc.

vwracer, its ok to have options, but don't be a broken record.
He thought is was a pricey upgrade, I have done it and it is, just letting people know real world expectations...Some people I have talked to about this think it's a $300 used turbo when it can run into the thousands, am I right or wrong???

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Dyno's lie, they are just a tool, if you want real world numbers run the quarter mile and figure the stats...

jsf350

TDI
13 jetta tdi
i understand every dyno is different...
my car freaked out on the dyno and every light on the dash was on...
it then pulled 3 consecutive 162-165 hp/ 305-312 tq

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
I think this is the most gain with this turbo rather than peak numbers. It's a nice smooth flexible power with this windmill. It's quite impressive top end speed/power, this is where this turbo shines. Also i'm averaging 4-5 ish mpg better.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Update: In 12/2013 my 2012 JSW DSG was on a DynaPack at Innovative Motorworks (PA). The vehicle had a Stage II and the complete EGR system was in tacked . The JSW made 183 hp/318 tq. I just had the Stage III installed and the EGR was deleted.

The tune is not completed. After I left the shop Mark Malone emailed Les @ Diesel Dubs and wanted to make changes. After the car is re-flashed I'll get back to the dyno.

I feel the JSW has at least 200hp/350tq. It runs extremely smooth and pulls hard at all speeds and is smoke free. It's not a neck snapper but it feels great!

Thanks to everyone on this thread!

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
You guys have me seriously interested in this turbo swap.. but how are your clutches handling it? I read mention of rumbling under power, presumably because the torque is bottoming the springs in the DMF. Is a SMF upgrade with a similar clutch to stock enough? or are we getting into the $1300 clutch territory?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
It runs extremely smooth and pulls hard at all speeds and is smoke free. It's not a neck snapper but it feels great!
This is my impression as well after driving jfettig's JSW. While it has a lot of torque it isn't nearly as much of a neck snapper as say a heavily modded alh which is fine since it will likely mean transmission components might survive. What really impressed me was how smooth the power delivery is. It is deceivingly fast. :cool: Now somebody just needs to figure out how to get around the EGT limiter so more fun can be had for longer. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Update: In 12/2013 my 2012 JSW DSG was on a DynaPack at Innovative Motorworks (PA). The vehicle had a Stage II and the complete EGR system was in tacked . The JSW made 183 hp/318 tq. I just had the Stage III installed and the EGR was deleted.
Are these wheel or adjusted crank numbers? If they're wheel numbers they don't jive with your driving impressions. My ALH with 315 torque at the wheels was more than "quick." 1st gear was useless, you had to be careful to avoid wheelspin in 2nd, and it was pretty easy to break the tires loose in 3rd. And the car would pull hard and quickly to 125 MPH and beyond. Maybe we need some 1/4 mile comparisons to verify the dyno numbers.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
These were wheel numbers. This dyno is bolted to the hubs The pulls were done in third gear because of the DSG. The real world driving experience was the same as you explained, with wheel spin and top end. A 1/4 mile comparison would be the real standard!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
3rd gear pulls tend to give higher numbers I'm told. And the hubcentric dynos are a little more generous than some roller dynos. With those two factors in mind the numbers make sense. My wagon showed about 15 HP/20 ft/lbs less on a dyno dynamics dyno than a hubcentric dyno.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I will be doing quarter mile runs at BUG O RAMA Sunday in PHX, should be a fun day, car show, swap meet, drag racing at firebird raceway, I'll post my times on a new thread...

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
This is my impression as well after driving jfettig's JSW What really impressed me was how smooth the power delivery is. It is deceivingly fast.
That is a good way to describe it, it is quieter in general than my ALH was - in my 03 Wagon you really knew / felt when the turbo came alive. A few times I catch myself rolling into 2-4th and be surprised when you look down and see you are doing 70+. The 09 has a super smooth power delivery, really fun to drive in the "normal" RPM band around town. It may only be a 20HP peak gain for the turbo, but the usable torque available across the whole band is so noticeable.

Mr.Chill's quote of my car "going like a scalded cat" comes to mind and still makes me chuckle.

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
I also did the he BFI Stage I Dog Bone and transmission insert mount. You do get more vibration as stated. I find it tolerable. It's mostly at idle in gear but you also you feel it slightly under way at low speeds. My wife didn't realize it until I told here.

They're the least aggressive of all the others I could find.

The speed does creep up real fast and you do have be careful. My wagon doesn't look like a sleeper anymore and I don't need extra attention.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
I also did the he BFI Stage I Dog Bone and transmission insert mount. You do get more vibration as stated. I find it tolerable. It's mostly at idle in gear but you also you feel it slightly under way at low speeds. My wife didn't realize it until I told here.

They're the least aggressive of all the others I could find.

The speed does creep up real fast and you do have be careful. My wagon doesn't look like a sleeper anymore and I don't need extra attention.
Same one I used, good choice, vibration will go away with break in miles, it is a little softer that the one ECS sells...

MIVWTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW DSG (RIP), 15 GSW
Same one I used, good choice, vibration will go away with break in miles, it is a little softer that the one ECS sells...
Did you also do the BFI S-I motor mount? I had the ECS dog bone. It was extremely uncomfortable!

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
Did you also do the BFI S-I motor mount? I had the ECS dog bone. It was extremely uncomfortable!
No, but I did do a Diesel Geek shifter and a BFI heavy shift knob, it completely transforms the car if you have a manual...I left all other mounts oem...

GearheadzTV

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 JSW DSG
I am about to order a 2.5" DP & mid-pipe from BuzzKen and Im interested in this turbo swap also. Found this on EBay and Im wondering what else would be needed additional to it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-G...Parts_Accessories&hash=item338a66f61b&vxp=mtr
Is that the same turbo you guys are swapping too?
Im currently tuned Malone stage 1.5 and DSG tune. I understand I would need to upgrade to stage 3, correct? Anything else?

EDIT: just noticed that is a stock 140 turbo...This is the Turbo I am referring to: http://www.fixmyvw.com/cr-stage-3-turbo-borg-warner-03l-253-016-g/

Last edited: