CR140 Stage 3

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I have been running Stage 3 on my CR140 for a couple months now, still making minor tweaks. I did a bunch of research and found everything I needed, its pretty simple easily as "bolt on" as a VNT17 is to a ALH or BEW.

Turbo: 03L 253 016 G

Turbo Inlet Pipe: 3C0 129 654 AJ or 3C0 129 654 P

Turbo inlet to turbo elbow: 3C0 129 635

EGT probe is too short so you need to make a spacer, .43-.45" OD, .285" ID .1" thick. Maybe the CR170 probe would work, which is straight.

Another option for a turbo is this:
Turbo: 03L 253 019 M - it has the older style flat faced outlet

All of these parts are available from Ebay UK or various vendors in Europe

Other than the EGR, this is a bolt on turbo upgrade. The EGR port on the manifold is on the opposite side, so it will have to be deleted. These turbos don't accommodate the LP EGR so that will have to also be deleted. I can't imagine that anyone installing this turbo will keep them. The DPF will still bolt up just fine or other available downpipes will also bolt up. There is another option to make the EGRs work, swap center section into the CR140 exhaust housing and bore the compressor cover for the CR170 wheel, a competent machine shop should be able to handle that. I know of 2 local shops that do it already(to other turbos). I haven't verified that the CR170 turbine fits in the CR140 exhaust housing, a PD170 turbine does however.

I don't have much for install pictures, it all pretty much goes in the same as it comes out, just like replacing a stock turbo. The DPF comes out, turbo comes out the bottom, new turbo goes in the bottom, overall not very difficult. To swap the turbo, the DPF must come out, oil return line, oil feed line, turbo outlet, all disconnected along with sensors. The passenger side axle must come out to do this. Pull all 8 exhaust nuts from the turbo to head studs, pull turbo off of the head and drop it down through the opening between the sub frame and the oil pan. new turbo goes back in reverse.

Two turbos side by side, notice the larger inducer on the CR170 turbo

Here is a picture of the EGT probe spacer:

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'll be posting dyno sheets once I get on the dyno again, so far I'm up to 180whp/340ft-lbs 100% smoke free, stock like EGTs(doesn't even hit the EGT limits) and 196whp/340ft-lbs with very light smoke. I'm expecting around 200-205whp on a dynojet and 350-360ft-lbs, maybe more with similar smoke levels to Stage 2. Still making 130hp at 5000rpm :D

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Replacement gaskets:

8x copper pinch nuts: N90200201

Oil return line gasket: 03L145757Q

2x oil return line o-rings: N90715601

Oil return block copper seals - unknown part number, I didn't replace

EGR manifold gasket: 038131547A

EGR intake gasket: 069131547D

Exhaust manifold gasket: 03L253039B

Downpipe gasket: 1K0253115T

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Very coo. Thanks for the info. Is there an option of exhaust header upgrade similar to Darkside Kit?
The whole idea of using a CR170 turbo is as a low cost alternative to the custom fabricated Darkside kit.

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Some clarification: at this point in time JFettig is not planning to sell his set-up and asked our permission to have this thread.

This is an informational/technical/developmental thread only, which is allowed.

If at some future point in time he decides to market these parts, he will start a new thread in the vendors forum.

No need to report this thread as a viloation of vendor rules.

Thank you.

:)

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Thank you thank you thank you for sharing. How has the tuning been going?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Tuning has been going well, we could have called it done a long time ago but we're making minor tweaks to make it better and better. I haven't done more than drive the car for the past week, maybe I'll spend some time on it next week if I have time.

Last edited:

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Nice! Glad someone finally fit it up! I bought one of these three years ago and haven't had a chance to fit it up. finally skipped right over it and went with a custom setup to see what I could do with the car.

John, how did you clutch hold up? Do you have torque limited or a dsg? Manual owners may want to do a clutch upgrade if going over stage 2.. Had a few that were getting the dreaded dual flywheel chatter.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks guys,

Kyle - stock clutch is holding pretty well so far however I don't think the DMF is happy. It is starting to clunk on and off power. I need to check my dogbone bushing to make sure that isn't the problem. I have a Stage 3 endurance clutch+FW to go in soon. Its making 340ft-lbs, there's more to go too. On tip in lambda is around 1.2 right now, with it closer to 1 or even below 1 it'll make a lot more torque!

Lambda = 1.02 makes 180whp
Lambda = 1.0 makes 190whp
Lambda = 0.98 is what I'm running right now but haven't gotten it on the dyno.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
great to hear! FYI for those looking for an upgrade and still keep oem like emissions you should be able to use the 2005-2007 EGR cooler and pipes to fit up to this for the high pressure EGR side. You will then need to make a pipe piece ` 3" long, 3/4"D with a 10mm 1.5 corse thread nut welded to the side and a clearance hole through it. You will then take the LP egr cooler assembly temp sensor and put this in it and connect the coolant lines up to the system. You still need to figure out how to handle the servo and feedback for the lp egr setup. I am hoping in the future tuners can remove it from the tunes and pass the egr obd tests because you still have a HP egr.

With luck, you can do the above, with oem downpipe and this turbo for a clean 170whp setup...

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
!!!!!! AWESOME POST !!!!!!

Much thanks for doing all the leg work and posting all that one will need. This is the upgrade for me. Can't wait to see the dyno.

:D:D:D

ibexlatham

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI 6spd - dead
This just makes me want to get mine installed that much more! But after doing a clutch in the driveway this weekend in the cold and rain it looks like my season is over with :(

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
That's nice clean power Jon.This has me thinking about lambda readings on my ALH.Air fuel ratio gauges are not too much money.

Also which dyno do you use ?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
This is on a Dynojet with STD setting
180hp pulls:

I have a Innovate MTX-L in my Passat, its so useful I am kicking myself for not buying one a long time ago. With my monster injectors I have it tuned into 17:1 AFR very light smoke which is 1.17 lambda. Common rail has better atomization so it can go down to 1.02 100% smoke free, as far as I can tell. Its possible lambda=1 isn't at 14.5AFR

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
This is on a Dynojet with STD setting
180hp pulls:

I have a Innovate MTX-L in my Passat, its so useful I am kicking myself for not buying one a long time ago. With my monster injectors I have it tuned into 17:1 AFR very light smoke which is 1.17 lambda. Common rail has better atomization so it can go down to 1.02 100% smoke free, as far as I can tell. Its possible lambda=1 isn't at 14.5AFR
Very nice!!, this is the kind of stuff that makes me happy on here..

ComeonPilgrim

TDI
2010 JSW
Late to the Game

Please excuse me, I'm a little late to the game. I've owned a JSW TDI for almost two years and I am feeling the need for a little more power.

If I understand this thread correctly, I need a turbo cartridge for a
Turbo: 03L 253 016 G, then have the cold side of my stock turbo machined, add Malone stage 1.5 and I'm good to go? Since the turbo will be at the machine shop, is there anything else that can be done, for instance, impeller clipping?

I'm also dabbling with the idea of an S3 front mount and flapper delete once all is said and done.

So am I on the right track? I don't need a rocket ship but a little quicker would be nice.

-Bob

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
You only need this turbo if you're going to Stage 3. Stock turbo is fine for Stage 1.5

No, you do not want to clip the turbine. You don't need to do any of the stuff, just buy the whole turbo and bolt it on.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Can you post the dyno graph with x-axis of rpms instead of speed? Do you have the torque curve available to you? Those would be nice items to see for comparisons.

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
I have the LC-2 (gaugeless MTX-L) on the TT, and I love it.
I am using several Innovate boxes, and running the logging through Logworks.
Works great.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Is this the only direct bolt in swap turbo that can be done without any mods besides clutch, tune, straight pipe, I have seen other turbo swaps but they involved more to be done in terms of drivetrain upgrades and engine upgrades...

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So peak torque is at 2250-ish rpms...
More or less the same performance from this as a gt1756vk then, right?
I expect a GTB1756VK to spool up about as quick but have a little more top end power.

Is this the only direct bolt in swap turbo that can be done without any mods besides clutch, tune, straight pipe, I have seen other turbo swaps but they involved more to be done in terms of drivetrain upgrades and engine upgrades...
Pretty much. Everything else in my engine bay is currently stock. I'm guessing it'll need intercooler piping upgrades as well as an intercooler as soon as I bump the boost up any higher. Stock fueling is pretty stretched out at only 220hp(larger turbo)