11mm pump upgrade questions, opinion/advice needed

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black
My car is a 02 Golf 5 speed. The only engine mod is Sprint 520's. My original fuel pump is in the process of dying and I need to replace it soon. I managed to source an 11mm pump from a 01 with 43K on it so finding the pump is not an issue. It only seems logical that since I have to install a new pump I might as well upgrade. I realize that the pump/injector combo may kill the clutch an am prepared to upgrade if forced to. I don't like smoke so that is a concern of mine. Since some of the auto guys are running Sprints without smoke issues, is there any reason I would have problems dialing out the smoke on my manual transmission with the stock software?

I was considering chipping in September at RallyVW's tuning GTG with a RC Euro 1/2 switchable. I have driven the RC2 with Sprints and loved that combo but wanted the option of switching to stage 1 to save the clutch for a while. The RC2/Sprint combo was plenty of power for me and would have never went looking for more power but since I have to replace the pump is there any reason not to upgrade?

Anybody running RC 1 or 2 Euro with Sprint520's and an 11mm pump in a manual out there? If so, how is smoke and fuel economy? If I do the pump and the clutch holds, I will probably hold off on chipping until spring. I may also see about a stage 0 Euro conversion so I can install a racepipe and remove my EGR without getting the CEL and preserve the clutch until spring. Are there any arguments or reasons not to upgrade to the 11mm? Would I be better off just replacing my 10mm with another 10 mm?

If I do upgrade should I install the fuel cooler from the auto and is there any reason I would have trouble installing the cooler in the manual car? Are there any mounting brackets that are different on the auto that I would have to have in order to install the 11mm in my manual car? Thanks,

Greg

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
Re: 11mm pump upgrade questions, opinion/advice ne

You should really talk with Jeff on this. I believe the stage 1 is mainly for a car with stock injectors. The stage 2 is for bigger nozzles. I don't think there is much of a point in running the stage 1 with your setup. I could be wrong here. I have an RC2 - you don't have to use the whole pedal all the time.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I can tell you right now that if you don't like smoke, you won't want the 11mm injection pump. I'm running PP502's and Upsolute stage 2 and 11mm pump and my car smokes like a freight train. I was running the injector/chip combo and, after a minor adjustment to the injection quantity, there wasn't much smoke, but then I installed the pump and *voila* instant james Bond smoke screen.

If you instal the bigger pump with your injectors, you're not only allowing more fuel per injection cycle (nozzles) but you'll be pushing more fuel through due to higher injection pressure (pump) and without adequate air to go with (chipping adapts boost/air) you will be over-fuelling and thus smoke pretty badly.

Of course, if I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf

Per the wonderfully written FAQ, consider a pump upgrade of 1mm equivalent to 1 injector size upgrade. So if you are running 520s with a 10mm pump, and you put an 11mm pump in, its the equivalent to running 764s. w/o more boost and/or new chip programming, you will smoke. Provided the clutch holds, when you get it chipped, you will toast your current clutch, so bank on that too.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Economy will not be affected. As for smoke, the pump will flow more fuel, but Jeff can give you a low fuel program if smoke is an issue with it. We ran the 11mm pump with 520's in the rally golf, and there was not that much smoke, with RC2. I would talk to Jeff about it, as he will be able to answer your questions better.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I can tell you right now that if you don't like smoke, you won't want the 11mm injection pump. I'm running PP502's and Upsolute stage 2 and 11mm pump and my car smokes like a freight train. I was running the injector/chip combo and, after a minor adjustment to the injection quantity, there wasn't much smoke, but then I installed the pump and *voila* instant james Bond smoke screen.

If you instal the bigger pump with your injectors, you're not only allowing more fuel per injection cycle (nozzles) but you'll be pushing more fuel through due to higher injection pressure (pump) and without adequate air to go with (chipping adapts boost/air) you will be over-fuelling and thus smoke pretty badly.

Of course, if I'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.

I'd really have to agree. With the stock pump and the PP520's and upsolute it smoke now. Can't get enough air in the system as it is. The only thing that help is the occasional tank of BP Premier fuel. WAY less smoke on that ultra clean high cetane juice.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I have been running a 11mm pump and PP 520s for a few years now before i added the FMIC I still never had problems with smoke, just changed the IQ some. I have run almost every chip out there and the RC 2 works fine as does my Upsolute.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf

Whats the point of getting a bigger pump, then turning down the fuel delivery at every other point?

CGR

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI manual. Silver/Black

I was not sure if the 520's and the pump would be equivelent to the pp520's or the bigger injectors. People claim to be running the PP520's with RC stage 2 witout any smoke issues.

I just was wondering if I could get away with it on the stock program and not have smoke issues for a while and if my clutch would hold. I have an appointment next week to have my pump replaced and have both the 10 and 11 mm pumps at my disposal so I am trying to decide.

I was not aware that there was a low fuel program to tame smoke. I can see your point Gothmolly and have wondered about it myself. But if there was some gain to be had without getting too smoky I would certainly take it.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...

My $.02... I have a 12mm pump and .205 (.208 in reallity)nozzles (Well I am sure you can see that anyway
, but stock program. Unless I plant my foot to the floor smoke is non-exitant except if the beast is cold.

If RC2 is your max goal smoke should be reasonable till you demand alot of power, even with the 11mm. Not trying to flame chips/start a war but I have heard that upsolute's tend to smoke more with the big nozzle/pump guys, again, jsut an observation from my readings over the past couple years.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

Upsolute does smoke more with upgraded nozzles.

You should not have any smoke issues at all with "205" injectors.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003

Juat because you change the IQ to help control smoke HP is not afected that much. smoke is unburnt or underburnt fuel which means you need more air or less fuel and are wasteing fuel Yes you do loose a little HP but not enought IMHO to worry with. Get with a good chip tuner like RC and tune the car to whar you have in it. Just throwing parts at it is a waste if not done right in in the proper order. Like in scuba diving make a plan using the imformation here on the forums and stick to it. and a little smoke will not kill you ( maybe the guy behind you9)

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup

here's what I would suggest for you at this point. Get the PP520 and stay with the 10mm pump. Your clutch should hold and smoke is very controllable with the IQ setting using the stock program. You can later upgrade the clutch and get a chip. The 10mm pump flows plenty of fuel. I still have run it and have more than enough fuel.