Tilting a tdi

pengyou

TDI
non right now
I am looking for a diesel engine to make a powered trailer - will either have a flatbed or a water tank on top. I want the bed of the trailer to be as close to the ground as possible. Is it possible to run a TDI (ideallyl a 2.4l) tilted at 45 degrees? I know this is a kind of screw ball question but most of the traditional diesels are 30" and higher. I am hoping the area under the "bed" will be no more than 24" tall - the lower the better, a little similar to this: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017005.28.5bd32685YOHuXD but larger.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not sure what all they sold or have available in your area, but in some of the world the third generation Transporter (sold here from 1980 through 1991 as the Vanagon) had a diesel engine laid at a 40 degree angle from the factory. This was the old original style I4 engine, but is mechanically the same basic family as the early I4 TDI engines so you can adapt one of those to work if you need more power. How much power do you need, and what it is going to be used for?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Oilhammer, it is a 50 degree angle like the TDI in my 84 with the set-up from one of the diesel Vanagons.

Below, is a look at 50 degree angle (vs the 15 degree in the Jetta) .... notice the oil pick up tube!

Below, so I had the tube cut and re-welded to accommodate the new angle.

pengyou

TDI
non right now
Thanks! The primary purpose of the tractor, as I (take a look at thel link) will call it, is to haul water around - anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000 gallons. It will be an agricultural vehicle. The water tank will be removable, and the moving platform can be used for other things. The front will have a front loader, the rear a backhoe, with a 3 point hitch and pto for other attachments. First round of brain picking says that a 6bt would be adequate, but they are 37" tall, put out 200 hp and 420 ft lb of torque. Subaru makes (made?) a flat water cooled turbo diesel but they are fazing the engine out - it was also never distributed in the US, so parts would be a nightmare to come by. I want to stick with diesel because of the better fuel consumption numbers and because one of the most important purposes of this vehicle will be in fire prevention. I live in the desert and wild fires spread across the flat plains like a bullet. Diesel is a little more stable than gasoline in high temperature situations.
I was thinking that 2 of the 1.9 tdi engines might match the 6bt numbers - a little short on torque - but would be 60% of the weight. Height is one of my main issues here. I want to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
To answer a question I received via a PM.

The height of an ALH engine on a 50 degree angle from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the Accessory bracket,,,,, about 20 inches.

Considering the IP sticks up a bit above the Accessory bracket, the overall height would be close to 22 inches. And, seems the shock on the Serpentine Belt Tensioner may be at or a smidge higher than the top of the IP.

I hope this helps with the project...