How to tighten roof rack on Jetta TDI Wagon??

whawker

TDI
'10 Sportwagen TDI 6spd used to have '03 Jetta TDI wagon
Hi, the front roof rack attachments have come slightly loose on my '03 Jetta TDI wagon (230k miles) and I need to tighten them. I can't tell, do I have to get at the bolts from inside the car (remove the headliner, etc), or is the curved front of the rail a cover that can be pried or popped loosed somehow?

Anybody done this, advice is appreciated!

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
Any luck on this?

My Father's '03 Wagon has the same issue.

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
My '02 wagon is slightly loose but not bad enough.
I looked it up in Bentley once but it didn't specifically address the issue. Maybe the headliner must be dislodged, not a fun prospect.
Larry

Lowrad

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagon 2004 (BEW)
Last time my car was in a VW paint shop, I saw a technician starting to remove the roof rack on a 2003 wagon.

I can confirm there is a bolt on each attachement points... but I don't know how to open the attacement covers to get to the bolts...

Lowrad

eyeguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat Wagon TDI
This is how I did it on my Passat wagon. Push the cover on the front of the rack toward the front of the car just enough that you can see the tabs at the rear of the plastic cover & carefully lift up. The rears are the same as well. Just push carefully toward the rear. You can pry the middles from one side & sort of rotate them around until they come free.
I don't know what they cost if you break one, but the chrome ones for the W8 cost about $25 each for the fronts or rears. Just work them out slowly & you should be OK.