FS 2003 VW Jetta TDI - ALH 5 speed $2500 - Phoenix, AZ

need4speed

Veteran Member
Full disclosure:
This is the same car from this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=481532

Only - I successfully re-registered and passed emissions in Phoenix, AZ.

224,000 miles (last 4000 was towing a loaded trailer on the highway; this was after the head gasket was replaced). So this repair was pretty fully stress tested. It pulled about 1500 pounds along California highway 190 up over the Panamint range. So it's still got some guts.

I am also including the trailer. I bought the car with this trailer, and I will sell it with this trailer:

Clean Title
No accidents
Full-size spare tire and wheel

+extras:
- trailer hitch, AND 4'x8' flatbed trailer (new wheels and tires on trailer).
- spare clutch disk (never installed) (Sachs)
- Bentley Service Manual
- Timing Belt tool kit (cam lock, fuel pump lock)
- injection pump security bolt tool (metalnerd's)

Recent work:
- New head gasket (previous overheat due to radiator hose leak; also repaired).
- -- (2000 miles on head since resurface; re-used valves, guides, lifters, and cam, since they were fine)
- -- (not leaking or consuming a drop of oil as far as I can tell, since head gasket job)
- new front hood shock support
- New battery
- Replaced pendulum motor mount
- new fuel filter
- intake and egr cleaned
- Fresh pentafrost coolant, SL6 PS fluid, Brake fluid, and 505.01-compliant 0w40 synthetic motor oil (always!)
- New tires and brake pads at 210k
- Timing belt, tensioners, water pump, serpentine belt and tensioner, replaced at 220k
- Oil dipstick tube replaced at 220k
- All soft fuel lines replaced with viton
- 3/8/18 replaced thermo-t coupling in fuel line; to address the cold-start issue. This seemed to help a little, but still has trouble starting when it has sat for a while, even on level surface.

Older work:
- Transmission oil replaced at around 180k miles
- All vacuum lines replaced with silicon hoses
- Original dual mass flywheel replaced with G60 single-mass, and VR6 clutch around 30k miles
- Original Garrett VNT 15 turbo bearings were shot, replaced with a Garrett VNT 15/17
- Brake master cylinder replaced around 120k miles
- fuel injection pump seals replaced ~120k or so.

Air conditioner still works.
Registered and passed Arizona emissions 2/20 - 2/28! NO CODES!

Car was originally bought in Glendale, AZ; I purchased it from the original owner in 2004 with about 18k miles. I mostly drove it to and from work in rural California - no freeway traffic, no stop and go. I used the trailer to haul waste to the landfill every couple of months - very handy to have. The past 5 years, my son drove it to and from college in the bay area. I have now brought her back home to Arizona, and we're looking for a new home for her.

Why am I selling? My living situation has changed, and I no longer have space for the trailer, or an extra car, and I don't have a place to work on it, or have all my tools together in one place anymore.

Last edited:

mz1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GTD Stage III / 2015 Touareg TDI LUX Stage II
interesting car...wish it was closer....good luck with the sale !!

need4speed

Veteran Member
Sold!

Car was sold today; with trailer, parts, tools, and bentley manual. I hope this buyer has another 225,000 miles, hopefully trouble-free.