2014 Passat TDi all gelled up

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
I live in NJ and the last several days were unusually cold -2 night time lows. Last morning I attempted to start her up and got nothing but a "chugga chugga chugga." The car was towed to a local dealer who upon inspection declared that my fuel gelled up. They added an additive, bled the system and let me go. I was also told that they had several other diesels with the same issue the last few days. I was surprised. What do you guys make of this? Should I buy a bottle or two of power service anti gel? What version should I get? Is there a better fuel additive out there?
Thanks

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
It's no so much the additive, it's your fuel source. Could've quite possibly got contaminated fuel from your last fill up

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
So what do you suggest? Change my fuel source? For the next few weeks? I go to Wawa by me.

RichmondKYtdi

Power Service Cetane booster is cheap insurance. $15 bucks covers you for 250 gallons... I wouldnt necessarily blame the fuel source.... arctic weather is arctic weather. I use it in my car and in our fleet of a dozen large trucks. Suppose to be -10 for the next three nights here, much easier to put a little in now in the daytime than trying to get tanks to loosen up in arctic weather first thing in the morning.

old bear

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Power Service Cetane booster is cheap insurance. $15 bucks covers you for 250 gallons... I wouldnt necessarily blame the fuel source.... arctic weather is arctic weather. I use it in my car and in our fleet of a dozen large trucks. Suppose to be -10 for the next three nights here, much easier to put a little in now in the daytime than trying to get tanks to loosen up in arctic weather first thing in the morning.
+1 on white bottle power service. Been running it in all my diesels sine 2001 when my new F350 gelled up. Never one problem since. When it's cold (<20F) I am running PS.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Power Service white bottle...

If I hear of an arctic blast, 6oz go in the tank and I top it off.

There is more to gelling than just "gelling"...

High water content from low volume suppliers can cause ice crystal blockages...different than gelling.

Good clean fuel (high volume) plus Power Service White bottle is the best option to prevent these scenarios from occurring.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
What do you guys make of this?
Never, EVER trust that your local fuel retailer (even in Northern states) has properly winterized your fuel. ALWAYS do it yourself with Powerservice, Opti-Lube, Stanadyne, etc at each fill up. Others will probably disagree. Powerservice is probably the one most widely available.

This is the only consistent way to know. Retailers / distributors winterize to expected average low temps. They do not account for extreme shifts in temp. Do it yourself.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The pump fuel is conditioned for normal temps expected. If you get unusual cold blasts coming your way some additional additive should be used.

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
If you get unusual cold blasts coming your way some additional additive should be used.
Sadly, dealers who sell diesels don't educate people on this. In fact, many discourage additives, hinting at warranty issues. I'm sure VW Customer Care's canned response it "We don't recommend....blah, blah, blah". Terrible advice and a terrible disservice to customers. Additives are very much necessary for diesels in extreme conditions.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I would trust that they have additized for normal expected temps. Anything unusual or out of the ordinary takes some extra care on the part of the owner. Same thing happens when fueling in a warm climate and then driving into a very cold climate. You will probably need to add additional additive in this case as well. Fuel in Texas at 70F won't work well in sub zero locations somewhere else without some additional help.

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL

Is this the right bottle? I can't risk getting stuck somewhere with my newborn so I'm gonna change to a more reputable fuel dealer as well.

Is there any risk of causing long term damage while the car is cranking with the gelled fuel?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Just remember that has to be used/mixed "before" the cold blast gets to you. If you are going to use it all the time, in winter, it shouldn't be an issue.

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
So if the current high average 27 and lows in the teens can I still add this product? I was told by the dealer to dump it every 3-4 tanks. What do you guys recommend? Also, do I add it on an empty tank before a fillup? We are going to have a few days with lows in 0-5 degree weather again, should I add the 6-8 oz every 3-4 tanks now? Sorry for all the questions, this is my 1st diesel.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you are expecting severe cold, use it every tank. It does you no good if you don't use it. Adding it before fueling is okay. It will mix as you fuel. Adding after fueling is okay too as it will mix while driving. In either case drive around some so as to distribute it throughout the fuel system. I personally don't use an additive (B5-B20 pump fuel) but if I lived where it got down into the 20's or below I would use one every tank until it got back into the 40's or so. Being in central Texas there isn't much need for an anti gelling additive. Wonder if they have an anti boiling additive? ;)

We could probably use one of those!

Dr. D

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks for the heads up, I'd hate to have her gell up when i gotta make a diaper run. When does one use the 911 bottle?

TTKID

TDI
10 Jetta TDi, 00 Golf TDi, 04 Evo, 06 F350, 21 M340iX
911 is for when its already gelled up. Then you add white bottle to keep it from gelling.

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
So if the current high average 27 and lows in the teens can I still add this product? I was told by the dealer to dump it every 3-4 tanks. What do you guys recommend? Also, do I add it on an empty tank before a fillup? We are going to have a few days with lows in 0-5 degree weather again, should I add the 6-8 oz every 3-4 tanks now? Sorry for all the questions, this is my 1st diesel.
Add it everytime you fill up. Add it prior so it mixes well.

This just reminds me i need to pick some up on the way home :)

RichmondKYtdi

yep, -10 here tonight... I know that's normal for all the Canadians on this board but when i head to my distribution center's freezer to warm up (o degrees) is when it crosses the line...

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
When I lived in Utah and Montana, I added it with every tank before fueling for several months every year. It was too easy to fuel up in AZ or NM where it was much warmer drive 500 miles and have a problem the next morning. I am believer in battery blankets if the car is not a garage overnight. The block heater, battery blanket and fuel supplement did OK for me.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi
Fuel

This is the solution for fuel problems. It is also sold at VW dealers. Do a google search for a diesel shop in your neighbohood.
It is VW approved.
I used this in my 2005 TDi at temps of -15 no issues.
I use it on every other tank full.
I also use in my 2014 TDi

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I must be getting good fuel, because yesterday when it was 5 F, I turned right over ( and I haven't used any additives lately). OTOh - there must be some sketchy fuel in the Raleigh area SOMEWHERE, since my mechanic is swamped with the cold (more than usual). I have my 4 usual stations close to home that I ALWAYS fuel from locally.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I live in NJ and the last several days were unusually cold -2 night time lows. <SNIP>

Problem highlighted. Solution provided above^^^^ by several experienced and helpful people. :)

It pays to listen to the weather forecast and act accordingly. ;)

Bill

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If engine just lumped over on initial start, it's not gelled fuel. It's something weak in the starter/batt/connections.

Gelled fuel gets you half a mile down the road.

Confused

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium 2006 Jetta TDI
I add it every tank. Dump it in while at the pump before I fill it up. No problems so far.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Power Service white bottle...

If I hear of an arctic blast, 6oz go in the tank and I top it off.

There is more to gelling than just "gelling"...

High water content from low volume suppliers can cause ice crystal blockages...different than gelling.

Good clean fuel (high volume) plus Power Service White bottle is the best option to prevent these scenarios from occurring.
100% AGREE with Pete.
Any time I go out of TX in winter time I use White bottle of Powerplus, never had problem to start car.
Also on All CR I recommend to use additive every fill up, not matter is it winter or summer..

ApriliaNut

Veteran Member
TDI
06 pkg 1 Jetta 191k w/Malone Stage 2
Wonder if they have an anti boiling additive? ;) We could probably use one of those!
YOU could use one??
You ain't seen nothing like out here. When I first moved to Palm Desert in 1990 from Santa Monica (you know the June Gloom City, 72-78, 72-78 from June till end of August!) it was 105 in MARCH, then it cooled down a bit, but we got an escalating onslaught from mid April till end of OCTOBER. I remember walking out of my stone house in July, into the back yard grass @ 3AM thinking it would be cooler b/c I couldn't sleep. Yeah right, the grass literally burned my bare feet!! It was like walking into an oven.
I thought I was gonna die that year. :eek:

Sorry for the hijack; BACK TO ORIGINALLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING.

Last edited:

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
What Drivebywire said , sounds like water in the fuel.
Too many suspect gas stations in NJ

Strikefalcon

TDI
2014 Jetta
What Drivebywire said , sounds like water in the fuel.
Too many suspect gas stations in NJ
ever since my 81 olds cutlass 5.7 gelled up half way between here to there on a Sunday night I add PS white at 2x the recipe to each and every fill. never had any problems since.