HPA TDI Jeep Wrangler- 35 Mpg - It's AWESOME!

Eightycc

TDI
1998 black GLS Jetta, 2000 silver GLS Jetta
I'm posting this out of the general sympathy of my heart. Living in Ohio I recently purchased a 1994 HPA TDI Jeep Wrangler off of a man in NC for a really fair price (less than $14,000 I'll say that) The thing has a 200k mile 94 Jeep, 4.0, 5 speed body, and 33 inch all-terrains with a 100k mile 2006 TDI motor flashed to roughly 145 hp and 255tq.

It goes MUCH faster than the 4.0 ever did, it will shove you back in your seat, and does wonderfully. Right now I have 317 gears in her which seem a little high, she'll do 70 in 3rd gear and 85 in 4th down the highway no problem, but shifting into 5th makes the engine struggle some, so I'm going to try the 355s she came with. It has great heat (Here in Ohio the winters are cold, and it WILL burn you out, also A/C and everything except the tachometer hooks up and works. Temp, oil pressure etc) And Yes, and everyone reading this is wondering I'm averaging close to, if not occasionally above 30 mpg quite easily. (and this is in the cold winter months, with large tires, top and large offroad bumpers) I havent gotten to take exact measurements yet but based on my calculations it's hovering between 27 and 30 while trying to baby her some, I could see it maybe getting 31 or even 35 with 55mph hypermiling, no wind, and a hardtop. Right now I'm looking forward to seeing how the warm weather will change things. The fan is rigged to run constantly so it has a hell of a time warming up in -30 weather. And it will not get warm while idling because of that, it has to be driven to warm up.:/ (Right now it has an old ragtop, offroad stinger bumpers on the front and rear which add alot of weight and even worse aerodynamics.)

I wanted to write this in case anyone had any questions because I know I got lucky, but upon planning, had TONS of what-ifs and where do you get your parts? etc. And NOONE to go to with them for genuine answers and real world experience, just HPA's word for it.

Most of the stuff came from HPA, nothing was home made, however, the cost for this is just that, cost. The guy said he had about $18,000 in it, which was what I had drawn up previously on my estimates. He bought and installed every available add on from HPA and even bought the bumpers and all that the mascot Jeep has to make it look just like theirs.

I'd been looking at doing this myself for the past few years and they only began making them 3 months after I sold all of my stuff I HAPPENED to have laying in the driveway to do the job. I sold it all because my 87 4 cylinder wrangler was only averaging 13.9 on the highway, and I couldn't afford it anymore. And my 88 ext cab toyota 4x4 2.4 4 cylinder was only doing 17 at best (Both had 33 in tires with 5 speeds)

I've owned multiples of every generation of VW diesel since mk2s all the way up to mk5 in the last 6 or so years and have been heavily involved with these TDI's since gas prices skyrocketed, I sold all my 4x4's and have bought 3 or 4 mk3s, an mk2 rabbit, 4 mk4's and an mk5 (buying and selling whenever I got a deal). Having missed my 4x4's I got lucky and found this gem for sale! If anyone has questions about parts or cost or how she does feel free to email me at [emailemail], thanks and best of luck!- Matt

Here is a link to the old ebay page for pics http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994...2203486?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4d098528de

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Awesome !! i met the guy who built that jeep, Jamie is a cool dude :).... glad you're enjoying the swap, i know he went through tremendous headaches
to get it all just right... i actually sold him the short block the jeep has in it now ... thats a good motor :)

Last edited:

Eightycc

TDI
Haha that's you!? Yeah he said he got some water through the air filter he thinks, she's running great, hose came loose and leaked coolant, just popped it back on, and a sensor leaks a little oil that needs fixed but it sure is fast! He told us all about how much he went through, we really did get a great deal on her, no hassles, and saved a bunch of money, it stinks that they ask so much for the kit:/. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to be selling the Jeep for a VERY long time, I have a feeling we'll be keeping it for 20 years lol

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
This is something I want to do with my XJ. Good to see some mileage numbers for the conversion. Thank you for sharing!
The good old commonwealth might have other ideas when it comes to registration/inspection....

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Hah! Looks like fun. My first vehicle was a '97 YJ with the 4 banger and slushbox...talk about slow! Topped out at about 77 or 78 on level ground.

rooney77

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Reading your numbers has me excited to finish up my build. Just need HPA to send me my adapter. :D

Love seeing TDIs in jeeps.

Eightycc

TDI
I have Fuelly, but couldn't make a habit of updating it regularly for my Jetta, I do the basic- add fuel until it clicks and divide the odometer reading by gallons count- plus 15% for the tires (Which took forever to narrow down) I actually test drove a 95 twin turbo cummins wrangler before I bought this one, and yes because it is a 3.9 instead of a 1.9 the milage suffers badly, but 22 mpg average isn't bad at all! Plus if you're running it on veggie oil that statistic kind of goes out the window...

Eightycc

TDI
We've filled it up 3 times, the first time was 27.8, then 23.9 then 33.1, the weather seems to have a drastic effect on MPG, My 2000 Jetta even went from 38.9 in 20 degree or less weather to 44.9 in 48-64 degree weather! The Jeep seems to be even more sensitive, as it gets warmer I will try to post more pics and make a video!

JusticeBuck

TDI
2003 Beetle
Hello everyone.

I want to find a high mileage Rubicon and do the 1.9 TDI conversion. Need to sell a convertible muscle car first though.:)

Looking for anyone on the board who has done the conversion. I would like to find someone close in Ohio who could do the project. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

kotam

TDI
2012 Jetta DSC / Rubicon
Days of $4.00 gas & still wanting to drive the Jeep?

As a newbie:p to the forums, it's delighting to see the interest and conservatism that the diesel folks share with the Jeep thinkers. We've been a production shop doing laser, injection molding, tooling, etc. for years and have become so concerned about the mileage of the Jeeps that we're moving into doing professional conversions of the diesel jeeps (TDI platforms only) so we can support ours. It amazes us that we (TDI folks) have such a daily understanding of performance and mileage while we get into our TJ and find that it's nearly prohibitive to drive it. We get into the TDI and look forward to stepping on the gas and, while we love the jeep, dread the gas bill for having some basic fun. Hopefully we can make some long-term contributions also!

My questions

1. ..has anyone incorporated the electric heater circuit into the warm-up process?
  2. Outcome?
  3. What system was used? Vw?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
There is a whole forum section dedicated to conversions, go check it out.