Engine exhaust light illuminated today...why

kpiazzisi

TDI
jetta 2006
My engine exhaust light has been turning on for the past week. Usually it will go off after a few minutes of driving by restarting the car. Today however I can not get it to go off. I have no loss of power, just the light that won't go off. I thought it might have something to do with the O2 sensor, so I removed and cleaned the O2 sensor, which made no difference. Any ideas. This is my second post. I can't find the first one I made a few minutes ago? If this is a duplicate then I apologize.

Thank You

kpiazzisi

TDI
jetta 2006
I forgot to mention that this is a 2006 TDI jetta with 136K miles. I think it has been performance tuned by previous owner, but not sure. It has a K&N oil filter, other then that it is completely stock.

kpiazzisi

TDI
jetta 2006
Is that something that Advanced Auto can do with their scanner? Is it just a regular OBD II connection or does VW use something proprietary that only the dealer can access?

TY

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Is that something that Advanced Auto can do with their scanner? Is it just a regular OBD II connection or does VW use something proprietary that only the dealer can access?

TY
It could be a generic OBDII code, so a trip to Advanced Auto might help (and it's usually free). However VW does have lots of VW specific codes as well. A dealer can read them, but it will cost you. Your best bet is to find someone near you with VCDS (Vag-Com) - they can read it too for a lot less. Usually the most it will cost is a beer or a diet Pepsi, or whatever is the guy's favorite is.

Good Luck

Don

Chunkerz

Veteran Member
TDI
'99.5 Golf
Oops. I thought he said K&N oiled filter. Like one of their oiled intake filters...

Sorry about that :eek: