98 New Beetle TDI engine light won't shut off for inspection

ecowaters

San Francisco area (formerly eastern Mass.)
TDI
SOLD: 98 NB
How can I deal with a mysterious engine light code 1403* so I can get my car inspected by Jan. 3? I have to fly back to my contract job in Calif. and have nowhere to store the car.

In Sept., I drove my 98 New Beetle TDI through a 18" puddle at 40 mph (it was pitch black on a very rural road).
A 5' wave of water fell over the car and it died.

After letting it dry out for a couple days on the side of the road, I drove it to the dealer (with great engine distress and dark exhaust).
Diagnosis: It had sucked in water and had a bent rods.

I had it towed to Kraftwerke in Braintree with the idea I'd get better service than at the dealer.
An insurance adjuster was about to declare it a loss but the garage owner told him I wanted to salvage it. So the engine was rebuilt.
Three days later, the engine light goes on with code 1403.

Here's one clue: last month, the engine light stayed off on warm days.
However, on cold days, it doesn't go off after warming up the car.

Kraftwerke says I need a new EGR valve, that mine likely has a hole in the diaphragm. Repair $250 + labor.
A local mechanic says that's very unlikely. He says fuel likely exploded into the lines when the engine took on water, and I perhaps need all the lines looked at and perhaps cleaned. They started this work.

This is now a nightmare, since I can't get the car inspected until this is resolved. I have to fly back to Calif. on Jan. 3. I might get the car inspected, risk a fail, then hope I have 60 days to resolve it. But I'll still have to deal with this.

Any ideas?

*P1403 "EGR System Control Difference" ("check
hose connections" -- "Probable causes: Failed EGR valve, blocked
passages").

Last edited:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I'd beleve Kraftwerke over the local garage.

Exploded metal fuel lines, that's pretty funny. Sounds like that story came from someone's rear.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Just a little heads-up. Chris Hill at Kraftwerke is one of the best TDI mechanics anywhere. Very little BS in him when it comes to these cars and their care/feeding/repair.

Buy the EGR valve. BTW, it takes about 15 minutes to install an EGR valve IF you have the proper tools.

BTW, the other mechanic is an idiot.

ecowaters

TDI
The engine light is usually off on warmer days (60˚+).... That is the clue to its origin, I think.
Thinner fuel? Warmer intake air?

No, no---the other garage did not say it was "an exploded metal fuel line". He says fuel likely splattered into the lines when the water hit the rods.
The engine light typically doesn't come on 'til 100 miles after the computer was reset, I'm told.
The computer is sensing slightly impeded air flow or a loose line.

Chris at Kraftwerke says the diaphragm in my EGR valve must have a hole in it. Says a rebuilt EGR is $250 + labor.

For the engine rebuild, my car was in Braintree for 1 month while I had to rent a car. The rebuild took one week.

Kraftwerke is very busy. I have no one who can pick up my car at Kraftwerke and get it inspected while I'm back in Calif.

I'm getting criticized about not telling the insurance adjuster to revert to his original judgment to declare the car a loss because the cost of a rebuilt engine, $4k~5k, exceeds the Blue Book value of the car. I recommend to all that you attend the adjuster's inspection of your vehicle so you can listen to his/her discussion with the mechanic.

In the past, for two years the engine light was on and Kraftwerke couldn't Rx it.
It finally came up in an inspection. The dealer Rx'd it and fixed it.

I don't expect omniscience from mechanics, so this wasn't a dealbreaker. I've had good experiences with Kraftwerke in the past, including one that saved me big $$$, and Chris is truly great guy, but I think his shop is now too busy for anyone who isn't bringing in a big performance car job or a greasecar. That is definitely the shop for that work.

But I can't afford to sink $400 more money into the car and risk having that engine light still on, which is a possibility, acc to Kraftwerke.

Last edited:

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Don't replace the EGR valve till you check it. Make sure the EGR cooler is not plugged

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
You can pull intake air hose off egr valve, look inside with a mirror, and pull a vacuum on the nipple. If plunger strokes, then diaphragm is ok. Then valve or egr cooler might be plugged with soot. If plunger does not stroke, but vacuum does not bleed off, then plunger might be stuck.

Might just need to clean egr valve if vacuum test works.

ecowaters

TDI
Thanks! I copied this tip and will give it to the mechanic.

I'm wondering what the temperature clue might suggest. Perhaps I'll put a thinner in the fuel to see if that helps.

Changing the tail light takes me hours (and it's still wonky--off and on). I won't be checking the EGR valve myself.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
ecowaters said:
Thanks! I copied this tip and will give it to the mechanic.

I'm wondering what the temperature clue might suggest. Perhaps I'll put a thinner in the fuel to see if that helps.

Changing the tail light takes me hours (and it's still wonky--off and on). I won't be checking the EGR valve myself.
A thinner in the fuel?