Car Starts Itself When Ignition Is Turned On

Fiero

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Car Starts Itself When Ignition Is Turned To On Position

The scenario is, I push the clutch in and put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "On" position, not fully turn it to engage the starter. The car will then start itself and make an awful noise when I let the clutch out, and the noise remains there the whole time the clutch is out. It almost sounds as if the starter is still on or something to that effect. Sometimes it will start itself like that and other times it works like it should. Today it was doing this a lot. When it does it I just turn it off and keep trying until it doesn't start itself and I have to start it. Now just today it did something even worse to me, I was driving on the highway and it started to make that noise again where it sounds like the starter kicked on or something. I shut the car off and restarted it to get rid of the noise. Not only is this not right, it doesn't seem safe either. Anyone ever experience this before or know what's going on to make it do this?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Fiero said:
The scenario is, I push the clutch in and put the key into the ignition and turn it to the "On" position, not fully turn it to engage the starter. The car will then start itself and make an awful noise when I let the clutch out, and the noise remains there the whole time the clutch is out. It almost sounds as if the starter is still on or something to that effect. Sometimes it will start itself like that and other times it works like it should. Today it was doing this a lot. When it does it I just turn it off and keep trying until it doesn't start itself and I have to start it. Now just today it did something even worse to me, I was driving on the highway and it started to make that noise again where it sounds like the starter kicked on or something. I shut the car off and restarted it to get rid of the noise. Not only is this not right, it doesn't seem safe either. Anyone ever experience this before or know what's going on to make it do this?

Sounds like a bad ignition switch. Regardless, park the car until you get it fixed or you may also need a new starter and ring gear (flywheel on most cars, IDK about yours).

Bill

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Replace the ignition switch before you destroy your starter.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Actually, on second thought, it may not be the switch.

If this is happening while you're toodling down the road, then it could be the starter solenoid getting stuck in the energized position.

Fiero

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
The previous owner said he put a new ignition switch in the car. Could it be possible he put it in wrong or something? He said he ordered one in and two came in so he bought them both so I do have a brand new one that came with the car that I could put in and see if it works right. How hard are the ignition switches to change?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The ignition switch is electrically remaining in the "start" position. Only the clutch interlock switch is cutting power to the starter solenoid. Each time the clutch pedal is pressed the starter motor re-engages into a running engine and flywheel.
Starting rpm is about 650 or so. The starter can disengage at rpm up to about 1200. When you're driving you (unless you are a lugging nut) are over that rpm and the starter can't disengage from the flywheel.

I'd start with the ignition switch to be certain that circuit #50 (starter) is NOT active unless the key is only in the start position.

Had a similar problem, but mine turned out to be caused by damaged wiring caused by a prior owner's "mechanic" installing a glow plug relay into a socket that should have remained empty.
Same end results: Starter engagement each time the clutch pedal was pressed

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Except that now it's happening randomly on the highway (no mention of clutch engagement), which leads me to believe that it's not a problem with the ignition switch.

Guess we'll find out...

Fiero

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
The time that it did it on the highway it made that awful noise without pressing the clutch in. Usually that noise is only there when the clutch is pressed in. I can try to change the ignition switch in it, but I won't have time to do that until tomorrow afternoon.

nickbrungard

TDI
in the market.
Easiest thing to do is to actually disconnect the trigger wire from the solenoid and hook up either a test light or meter to it. (assuming it is somewhat accesable) If the trigger wire is only staying energised while in the crank position then it is solenoid related. Please feel free to hit me up with any questions. Im new to the tdi scene but have a strong backround with wiring. ASE(electronics), MECP and Class 3 solder Certified

nickbrungard

TDI
in the market.
Honestly I would probably put my money on the ignition switch or at least the wiring before the solenoid. On most cars the clutch bypass is done on the trigger wire before the solenoid. Which would eliminate the solenoid being the problem because the clutch bypass would not interrupt the signal from the solenoid to starter. If the switch was really replaced then check to see if there was any aftermarket wiring done near the ignition harness.(mainly steering column) Im thinking that there may have been either an alarm or remote start installed in this car and there may be a sharp wire poking through the insulation on the starter wire from an ignition source. Sometimes when wires are spliced in and soldered in line there car be a sharp ridge that wears throught the wire its up against causing a direct short.

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
nickbrungard said:
Easiest thing to do is to actually disconnect the trigger wire from the solenoid and hook up either a test light or meter to it. (assuming it is somewhat accesable) If the trigger wire is only staying energised while in the crank position then it is solenoid related. Please feel free to hit me up with any questions. Im new to the tdi scene but have a strong backround with wiring. ASE(electronics), MECP and Class 3 solder Certified
Excellent idea. That will tell you if its the solenoid or ignition switch. The wire he is talking about will be a small wire going to the solenoid on the starter. It ususally just pulls off. See if it has 12 volts with the ignition on. If so the ignition switch needs replacing.

--Nate

Fiero

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Well I just replaced the ignition switch and cycled the key about 20 times and it didn't start itself yet. I will keep driving it and see if it acts up again. Hopefully the new switch fixed it.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Good deal. Was the replacement pretty simple?