Soot + Oil=Soilt intake (Race Pipe)

meshplate

Hi all,

Just installed my dieselgeek "Race Pipe" the other day. Here is a cautionary tale for all who might be tempted (still) to think that if VW designed the EGR and CCV system that way it must be A-okay.

I only had 21k, and let me tell you the EGR and intake had at least a 1/4" of soil all over them. I had been using Delvac and Power Service for 15K and I thought I would be okay. Oh no, I wasn't.

Anyway, things are cleaned up now. And there is an appreciable improvement in top end power and perhaps a bit more responsiveness through the rev range. However there is also now the new peace of mind that the engine isn't choking itself to death.

Next I guess I will have to work on some kind of CCV bypass system so I won't have to worry about oil residue in the intercooler.

Anyone want to guess if the intercooler needs a cleaning at this point?

I wish I had done the egr adaptation when the car was new out of the box, but I guess we are all the same with new cars--"I don't want to touch it!"

The race pipe seems like a good mod because even if disabled it has to be a bottle neck in the system--just look at it. The small down side is the engine makes a shudder when you shut off due to the removal of the anti-shudder valve attached to the EGR. I guess there isn't a fix for this, but if there is let everyone know whoever you are!

Thanks

Meshplate

2001 Golf GL, Upsolute, Race Pipe, 15" Ronal R28s.

S

SkyPup

That is no surprise your intake was gunked up so fast, the region that you live in has some of the worst quality diesel fuel in the entire country.

Dorado

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle TDI, 2002, Cool White
Around here, a VW tech told us that he had a TDI with just 40k on it that was "clogged solid" at the intake... The moral is: Beware of crappy diesel on a TDI!!!

If you can get some, biodiesel just as an additive will: reduce sulfur, improve cetane, and reduce unburned fuel. With the diesel fuel available in our area, just adding PowerService was not enough to eliminate smoke under heavy acceleration. But now, running on biodiesel, we can rev it up and not see any smoke at all!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You can do the CCV mod, but you're still going to have oil in the intake system due to the turbo seals leaking oil when it's under low/no boost.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Turbo seals leaking from low pressure??? this is the first I've heard of this. Why would everyone be bothering with the ccv mod? I know its to avoid a clogged intake... but people still bypass both.