need advice on what to get

soontobeowner

I am currently in search for my first VW TDI....just don't know what kind yet. I have cut it down to three types: Jetta, Passat, or Golf.
I also live in South Dakota and would like to know if I would have any problems in the winter time. I am trying to find something from '98 - '00
Any recommendations?

o

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
On whatever you get, I'd recommend some sort of oil pan heater - the stick on silicone pad. And the usual stuff you'll find about antigel additives in the winter, buy the fuel from a high turnover station, yada yada yada.

As far as the car, pick what you like and ignore threads that want to make strange assumptions based on the model you drive. What are you going to use it for? Do you need 4 doors or 2? Which body style appeals to you the most?

The basic chassis are the same (assuming, since there won't be a Passat in the chosen year range, you are choosing between a Golf or Jetta), the basic equipment and all that other stuff will be similar if not identical.

So, what you are looking for is what you need, what color combinations are available, how picky you can afford to be. Once you have those variables settled, your choice will be apparent.

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
We live in Minnesota and the 03 Golf 5 speed my hubby drives has had no problems starting. It is in a non-heated garage overnight and parked in a downtown ramp during the day. He does really like the heated seat option and was happy to pay for it.
One of the biggest things you will want to have is the mtc records from the vehicle you pick since you are looking at used. Also, if there is a club member nearby to help you check out the car it can save you future problems. Good luck in your search. I just ended up going new since I couldn't find what I wanted close by. If you have the time to travel there are some good cars to be had. You will find the Jetta is more available in the used market than the Golf. Depending on where you are in SD you may want to look at the Denver or Kansas City markets.

mary [who finally got mine]

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
If you don't know about the models, let me break it down for you.

Passat (older style) 96-97
Jetta (older style) 97-early 99
Jetta & Golf (newer style) late 99-2004
Passat (newer style body) present model year only

These are the years in which the TDI engine is available in VWs. Note that no Golf was available in TDI form until the models changed to what is known as the MK4 chassis.

If I were to get a newer car, I think I would go with a Golf, as I like the hatchback style, etc. I have an older style Jetta, though and like the car a lot. The MK3s are easier to work on in the engine bay, with the exception of oilchanges which are easier on the MK4s if you buy an oil extractor.

The early MK4s have problems which were ironed out as the years went by. The earlier MK4s also had a timing belt which doesn't last as long as the newer ones...but this isn't a big issue, as at the next timing belt change you can buy the parts and easily put the newer style belt on the older engine.

As well, the PD engine is the newest one to hit our shores, and is available only in the 2004 models and up. They are slightly stronger, and FEEL stronger, as they have a pretty flat tourque curve, but some seem to suffer just slightly when it comes to mileage. These are early numbers, though as many of the cars really haven't been broken in that much, so mileage should increase after a while. Some people are claming about the same mileage on a PD that I am getting on my older TDI. (I am at about average, with 49 MPG pretty consistantly)

In the end it comes down to what you want, what size you are looking for, and how much you want to spend.