Need Help ;Before Buying Converted 01 Audi TDI

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
This is what i wanted to buy But ,, 01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6MT with 05 TDI 2.0L BHW,, Malone Stage 1 ,, Not sure of Clutch , but is a SMF,, he never did the EGR Delete , or the the BS Mod,, , 1 noise and he mentioned it was like an input shaft noise its not real loud , and comes and goes with on and off load ,, apparently above 80km/50 miles/hour its not there,, it sounds like a a flywheel rubber nibs rubbing lightly against metal ,, but comes on/off with load like when there is back forth movement from the motor mounts tranny mounts,, Because i not as knowledgeable with the Audi /VW Conversions , i 'm not positive he did everything perfect,, but has been driving for years,, He a shop and works on Audi/VW ,, I think it has to do with the Flywheel clutch set up/spacer??
It shifts very good clutch is good ,, he also will do the emission test and safetied it.
It needs 1-Air bag seal,, and the Fuel level unit needs replacing or cleaned ..There is under 115,000 miles on engine and 240,000 miles on body ,, the Guy i s so busy he doesn't have a lot of time to talk and answer all my detailed questions which i understand ,, he doesn't seem to be in a rush to sell . Hes's firm on $5100. Can. or $3813.US Now that i spilled the beans ,, DEAL OR No DEAL ???

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Seems like a good deal to me, probably is just the clutch as there is a clutch thread on here that hits on that noise, the awd 6 speed doesn't seem to have the same issue as the fwd 6 speed so hopefully no long term damage has been done.

So long as the gear ratios are all diesel proper you cannot import those for sub 3000 usd unless you got a buddy on the other side of the pond helping you.

Id get frans or other exporter to send me a flywheel/clutch kit.

Last edited:

FrankenAudi

TDI
so it was a 2.7tt automatic originally so , he couldn't seem to answer what 6 speed it was other then its an audi Allroad , i think it is a gas tranny he said the rpms are 3100 at 100mph,, with 215 x65x16 tires ,, so is that not a little high??

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
100mph at 3100 rpms? I do 3100 rpms at 70 to 75...id say you're good to go on that transmission.

The proper 6 speed would have probably been sourced from Europe with a 2.5 tdi in front of it.

Did you mean km/hr or mph? The metric system never caught on down here.

I told you wrong on the cost of the 6 speed transmission, those are about 800 plus shipping, i was thinking 6 speed passat tranny.

Wither way 3k usd is not a bad price. I doubt you could source a 6 speed, a diesel engine ans an all road for 3k

Last edited:

FrankenAudi

TDI
HI! I'm trying to not use Metric because it is a US Form,, I know the price is good ,, i always get nervous when buying a used vehicle ,, especially when he said he can set the speedometer at what ever he wants because he has the audi tools etc,,, i stiil need to know when the timing belt was last changed ,, thats critcal,,, when i asked if the ac worked he said he doesn't know,, he is allergic , because it cold out you have to warm up the car to 10 celcius before it will work ? I was to stupid when i was driving it to know how to adjust all the setting ,, also i was n't sure what the temp guage in the lower left was for oil temp?? ,, it wasn't coolant ??

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
In this weather it will be hard to get the coolant to read normal running temps, you'll need a good 10 to 20 min of steady load driving even in 40 degree F weather.

As for the ac, gonna be hard to test without having a heated shop to park in although once at normal running temp, cabin good and warm you should be able to crank the ac (air circulating mode) and get cold really quickly.

I dont think the v6 and bhw ac compressors interchange so he should have adapted the bhw one.

You dont need to warm up a tdi before running. I warm up enough for my back glass to unfog using the defrost and heated seats to start, 5 min...7 max if my kid is dragging ass in the AM. Just drive her easy for 15 to 20 min before abusing the skinny pedal. The heat on these wont warm up until you're driving anyway. Usually some 6 or 7 miles it starts warming up. 10 to 15 miles and i can pretend im in the tropics.

Im in the southeast but we've already had several inches of snow this year, a few nights in the 20s. Ive let my bhws sit for weeks and they start in the teens without issues. My 7 3 needs plugged in below 45 or she's a bear to start without several glow plug cycles. The bhw just fires right up. I delay enough to find my phone and link the blue tooth between key in on position to start when it's below freezing.

Fwiw if i don't do a trooper/montero/discovery/cherokee bhw swap in the near future im looking at an allroad diesel swap. Very cool vehicle.

Last edited:

FrankenAudi

TDI
I been driving an 01 Subaru Forester 5MT for while over a decade , and done many mods ,, still wish Subaru would have brought the Boxer turbo diesel to N.A.,, but what can do,, 1 thing about the Audi is its a more cushy ride and quieter,, only thing i would try to is make it more stiffer suspension,, if it possible like sway bars and tranny,engine mounts,, also if i get the Allroad i will have to upgrade my toolbox to work in it,last VW i had was 86 Jetta 1.6 5speed , for 17 years, it was a tough built car except for the shifter linkage,, any ways,, if i get the Audi i'll update ,, and probably more questions until i get familiar with it. Thks for the all help.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Assuming that it's not hacked together, that's a good price in my opinion for a conversion that runs/drives.

With anything like this (conversions), you need to be willing to figure some (most) things out on your own and/or be good with cars and like to work on them.

If this will be your only vehicle/daily driver, then you need to make sure it will be reliable/dependable. If it's a spare/fun car, then it's less of an issue

3100 RPM at 100 MPH is high for a TDI - it should be ~2650 @ 100 with a proper 6 speed so it likely has gasser gearing in it. See chart below. If you're mostly city driving, not a big deal, just upshift. If you're doing a lot of highway driving, it'll be louder than it needs to be and get lower MPG's.

The fuel level sensor is tricky on these since the fuel tank has a eudctor jet to move the fuel from one side to the other due to the driveshaft. I recall the previous owner of my TT telling me what a challenge it was to get this to work correctly. It might not be just a simple cleaning/replacement.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn't consider 3100 at 100 mph an issue at all with a bhw engine.

Since most cruising is done on freeways (around here anyway) you'd be well under 3000 rpms at 75-85. Even on the outskirts of Atlanta where 90 is the norm you'd still comfortably run with traffic.

Id prefer the bhw rev a little higher in heavy vehicle, dowm shifting on every hill is not fun.

FrankenAudi

TDI
I figured the final ratio with the 215x65x16 tires to be 4.33 and i normally don't drive above 65- 70mph mostly.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
My 5 speed swapped passat is used just for work commuting. A correct tdi tranny would run me 700 to 900 bucks. I can buy a lot of fuel for that. Since my daily commute of 75 miles round trip involves maybe 3 miles of freeway in morning rush hour traffic where im lucky to hit 70mph its of no issue.

Ive towed an 18 ft long trailer with fishing kayaks/week worth of gear to the beach and back, with cruise set on 75mph i only got 32 mpg. Same trip without kayaks and trailer is over 40mpg.

If i made long hwy commutes on a regular basis id do the upgrade.

NMDieselExplorer

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon 6 speed ELN conversion
If this AR with TDI engine is running at 3100 RPM at 100 MPH I can tell you it is definitely not a manual transmission originally designed for a gas engine.

The 01E originally installed in a 2.7T AR has a 4.375 R&P ratio and runs at 3000 RPM at 75 MPH and about 3600-3800 RPM at 100 MPH.

Additionally, I have a 05 Passat wagon converted to ELN 01E 6 speed FWD transmission with 17" tires on it and it runs at 2500 RPM at 85 MPH. Haven't driven it at 100 MPH, but I would expect it to run about 2800-3200 RPM at that speed-which isn't bad for the BHW engine, that redlines at 5,000 RPMs.

Last edited: