Rough starts with white smoke and more white smoke at full throttle

xCatastrophe

TDI
2002 Golf ALH
I have a 2002 TDI Golf with the 1.9 ALH engine, I recently bought this car back in september. Once it got cold it started having issues starting in the morning and it would crank over a lot before it started. I recently replaced the battery and fuel filter and that helped but it still continues. I thought it was mostly due to the cold but it's starting to get warmer out and it still takes a few cranks to start and is starting to concern me more. Once it does start a plume of white smoke comes out of the exhaust and then all is normal. The car will be fine for the rest of the day and I can start it all day without anymore crank issues, but after it sits overnight the problem comes back.

Also if I get into the boost too hard a fairly steady amount of white smoke starts to come out, it has only started doing this recently. It never happens if I keep the RPM's down but if I accelerate too fast and get into the boost it comes.

Anyone have any ideas what might be causing these issues?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Or, the ASV could be sticking partially shut (located on the EGR assembly).

Or, the Intake manifold could be partially obstructed.

Or, there could be a leak in the pressure pipe somewhere between the Turbo and the Intake.

.......... hope this helps!