Power Loss after 2k RPM Jetta 2001

target4fun

TDI
None yet
I was driving from dallas to san antonio and after about 2 hours of driving I was going about 75-80 mostly and I went to pass a car and my car pretty much stayed where it was at 80 when I put the pedal down. I felt it when the power loss happened so it was all of a sudden and then the whole trip home after that if I was going on a straight road then it would do 80 max and if I had a hill then the car would drop to 70ish with my foot all the way down. I am thinking its the turbo?

Whatcha think?

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
When was the last time the fuel filter got replaced?

If not recently, I'd do that first. When the filter is marginal and just starting to clog up, you'll lose power at the top end, that is, maximum power gets reduced. And the fix is pretty cheap.

If that's not it, it might also be a clogged up intake manifold in need of a clean out, but that doesn't usually happen suddenly. That happens gradually over say the last 20,000 miles.

target4fun

TDI
None yet
Fuel filter was replaced just before this trip so the new fuel filter only has about 300 miles on it. So I doubt that is it.

It seems to lose all power after 2k on the higher gears its more noticeable....

Danarm

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta TDI, 2X 01 Jetta TDI, 01 Golf TDI,06 Jetta TDI.
I had a maf sensor do that to me. Try unplugging it.If you have more power, that would be it. Good luck.

target4fun

TDI
None yet
After driving the car again it seems to have more power again...... seems I let it sit didnt do anything at all started it up again and it works as it did before accelerates to 90 mph no prob. Weird makes me think it is prob something electrical. Just gotta find the maf sensor but now that its working I will unplug it if it happens again and see if that is the issue.

Any ideas or thoughts keep em coming.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
sounds llike clogged intake on mine the intake ports were coked up from WVO. exact same symptoms

target4fun

TDI
None yet
Are there any writeups on this..... seems like after reading there are plenty of ways to go about it? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all your help!

vti-chris

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf IV
Bringing up an old thread but i have exactly the same problem as above...shut it down then on again and the weird power loss goes away!!:confused::confused:

Is there a simple fluid,spray,...whatever that will clean the manifold without removing it??

I also see some oil at the beginning of the intake manifold where the turbo piping connects...seems the gasket is leaking there but where does that oil come from??

Oil consumption is normal...i think...around 1-1.5litres after 7k miles.

merk

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta sedan, 03 silver wagon
Same problem. my turbo actuator was rusted frozen, I was lucky where it got stuck as the car ran pretty well until i needed the higher boost.. New atuator....new power.