Clutch doesn't disengage Cruise Control

TDImonkey

TDI
VW Golf 99.5 Blue 2Dr
I've noticed recently that when I depress the clutch to disengage cruise control, the car doesn't seem to notice. It instantly revs the engine up all the way beyond redline, trying to keep the car up to speed. Where is the switch that turns off cruise control when the clutch is depressed, and how do I replace it?

The only thing I've done lately that might cause this is I switched my RocketChip Stage III down to Stage II to save my clutch a little longer... I don't think this is associated, I'm just including it for completeness.

This isn't critical, as I can tap the brake to turn it off among other ways, it's just annoying because I keep forgetting that it does that.

Thanks for any help!

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
I never never ever use the clutch to disengage the cruise control, use brake only. I remember reading (A3 days) that disengaging the clutch whilst in cruise can ruin your engine.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Hmm,

Could stage II be for an automatic equipped car? They don't have a clutch or even a clutch switch, so a program for an auto would ignore a clutch switch...

Like GD, I always tap the brake first too. Redline should be avoided just on general principles.

Bill

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Your problem is as 40X40 stated. Your RCII is on the automatic transmission map; therefore it does not recognize the clutch.

TDImonkey

TDI
VW Golf 99.5 Blue 2Dr
Thank you all mucho. I'm putting the car back to RCIII as soon as I get out there to see if that'll do it. Can I reprogram my RCII to a manual map?