1990 Jetta TDI injection pump

thayguy

TDI
none yet
About to pickup a 90 TDI this coming weekend. How hard of a job is it to reseal the injection pump. For a diy savy guy that’s handy with a wrench

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Is it TD? TDI didn’t come out until 97, for the Jetta.

A lot more in an IDI pump, compared to TDI. I don’t think it’s a terrible job, bit I’ve also done many. Plenty of DIYs, in the interwebs... Gotta start somewhere.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
As Todd said there are some good tutorials out there, some especially good ones. The overhaul kits are now readily available too for those.

Steve

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Unrelated to your initial question OP, but since you know you're buying an IDI the standard suggestion is to have carefully examined the harmonic damper for any signs of wobble while the motor is running.

The IDI crank snout is a known weakness that can cause the engine to grenade, and although parts like IDI pump rebuild kits are still plentiful IDI cranks are becoming hen's teeth. :) :)

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Actually, if it's a 19901.6, I dont believe it had the crank snout issue... That was the AAZ 1.9 motor's downfall...

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The AAZ got it worse 'cause they added a serp-belt alternator to the mix, but the IDI cranks all share a keyway design rather than the much stronger D-shaped snout. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

thayguy

TDI
none yet
I guess I ran before I could crawl on this question. I read last night that the 90 MK2 jettas could have 4 different diesel motors. I’ll know more Saturday night when I get it home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Most likely just one of 2 different flavors of the 1.6l engine:. with a turbo or without. :)

That said, a car from the early 90's may well have had an engine swap by now.

Pics will tell the story. :)

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk