immobilizer cluster locked

09jetta843

TDI
jetta
i recently had a key made for my 09 jetta but i used the original rfid chip from my broken key. now my cluster screen has gone completely red and an alarm chime goes off. car cranks and immediately cuts off like it does when immobilizer is active. no immobilizer icon or safe message comes on. havent replaced any parts all stock. same cluster ive always had. is there anyone who can tellme what is wrong?!?!?

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Not sure about the '09, but with my key, the RFID and the remote are separate. The remote (for opening the doors etc remotely) is a printed circuit board under the lock/unlock buttons. Is your remote PCB original? If not maybe the car is detecting that, and it needs to be "adapted" to your ECU.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Kinda sounds like the cluster just gave you the middle finger. Need someone to read the Immo status and see if it still shows valid key and engine start authorized. Since Immo lives inside cluster on this model then a bad cluster means no start.

As for exact failure and how the engine starts and dies - doesn't matter to ECM, as long as it doesn't have authorized message to start it will behave the same. Whether it's bad key, failed reader, or cluster crapped out.

Need to find someone with VCDS or ODIS to read that and report back.

Jason