VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
I bought my car in Fall of 2016 from Copart. It had a salvage north Carolina title, but now has a similar Florida title. When I bought the car, I did it thinking salvage cars were outside the scope of the buy-back. Someone told me that I can sell my car back, but I have never received any paperwork about it. Online, I punched in my VIN and it said that the car is eligible. Does that mean that the previous owner didn't get a payout on this car already? Is it still eligible for the buy-back?

I heard part 2 (last stage) of the fix makes the 2011 CJAAs have bad fuel economy (like in the 30's). Can anyone confirm/deny that?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is no "part 2" or "last stage" on your 2011 Jetta. That is a "generation 1". It's a one shot fix ... it's either fixed or it isn't.

I wouldn't count on VW's VIN checker to know about your title status ... it only knows that VW originally built the car and that it was built with a TDI engine that is affected by the emissions scandal.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
I think we all need to start emailing the council again , this above is a typical example of the VW harassment for no good reason , what difference does it make if the car was running than in 2016, the more important is the fact that the car is running now.!!! Someone please re-post the email addresses of the council etc .

Secondly they should provide a some form of a actual proof , that the car was leased and based on that document denied on Buyback or anything else.
Finally who can also get a prove that any restitution or half of it was or will be payed out , if there is not evidence or no website to check , to see if it was payed out to the previous owner? .

VW is making this as difficult as possible. It is so frustrating.

Nowiser

TDI
2014 Passat
VW is making this as difficult as possible. It is so frustrating.
Class Council isn't much better. I emailed them explaining my situation, and Volkswagen's (impossible to satisfy) request. I have not heard back yet. Over the last year they've given me almost as much run-around as VW has.

I understand Volkswagen's position on this, but they are the ones who blatantly broke the law and got themselves into this mess. Shouldn't it be on them to prove my vehicle was NOT operable rather than the other way around? In the meantime, it's still on the road, polluting.

nathanacura

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
The idea of proving the car was continually operational is ludicrous. Most cars have periods where they are not operational. Fender benders, repair time, blown turbos, bald tires ... who knows. Many cars have short periods or even months they are not operational in a 10 year span. What does that have to do with title history or eligibility?

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
This is someone working in VW sick humor, they will show us a good time and Textbook example of harassment for no logical reason whatsoever.

jeffcapp99

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q7 TDI & VW Passat TDI
This is someone working in VW sick humor, they will show us a good time and Textbook example of harassment for no logical reason whatsoever.
Actually there is a logical reason - they do not want want to pay. They are hoping people get frustrated and go away (some people will).

The problem I have is the CRC said pay these claims. And now VW sees a way to screw people again with an onerous requirement never mentioned anywhere (car just has to run getting to VW dealer).

I agree that Plaintiff Counsel is a bunch of milktoasts that do not get anything done. They often side with VW even when it is obvious VW is not doing the right thing.

According to the supervisor report (long cut and paste below) it does not state the car has to be operable the entire time.

Does anyone know the actual 'ruling' from CRC?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
a) Branded Title Claims
As set forth in previous reports dating back to June 2017, the Parties have been working with the court-appointed CRC to address how the eligibility requirements in the Class Action Settlement Agreement apply to certain consumers who submitted claims involving vehicles they acquired with a branded title sometime after September 18, 2015 -- the date the EPA issued its first notice of violation after discovering the existence of defeat devices.34
Following the first notice of violation, a limited number of consumers acquired vehicle models that were part of the notice of violation -- often at insurance auctions after the vehicles had been totaled in an accident. Indeed, of the 2,140 claims submitted by consumers who had acquired vehicles with a title that previously had been branded sometime after September 18, 2015, a total of 1,415 of these claims (66.1%) were submitted by 267 consumers. Additionally,
34 Title brands include salvage, rebuilt, reconstructed, and prior salvage, and indicate, among other things, whether a vehicle has sustained damage or may be unsafe to drive. A vehicle branded with a salvage title is typically one that was damaged to the point that it was declared a total loss by an insurance company, often because the cost to repair the vehicle was greater than the value of the vehicle in its damaged state. Generally, a vehicle with a salvage title cannot be registered with a state department of motor vehicles. However, the nomenclature related to title brands varies from state to state and will be analyzed accordingly, so that the eligibility requirements are consistently applied.
the same 267 consumers submitted 72.2% of the 1,959 claims involving vehicles with branded titles that were acquired following the Court’s approval of the Class Action Settlement Agreement on July 26, 2016. By undertaking repairs necessary to convert these vehicles back to an operable state, the apparent intent of many of these consumers is to profit through participation in the Claims Program. Some of these consumers have taken the position that, because claims on these types of vehicles are not expressly excluded in the Class Action Settlement Agreement, they should be deemed eligible.
The Class Action Settlement Agreement expressly excludes claims by consumers with a vehicle that “had a Branded Title of Assembled, Dismantled, Flood, Junk, Rebuilt, Reconstructed, or Salvage on September 18, 2015, and was acquired from a junkyard or salvage yard after September 18, 2015.” It does not, however, expressly address circumstances involving a vehicle with a title that was branded subsequent to September 18, 2015. The stated goal of the Class Action Settlement Agreement “is to compensate owners or lessees of Eligible Vehicles for any harm they suffered as a result of the emissions issues and to ensure that Volkswagen’s 2.0-liter TDI vehicles do not generate excess NOx emissions.” Because some consumers acquired the vehicles at issue with a branded title after discovery of the defeat device became public, and many of the vehicles were out of commerce at the time they were acquired, the Parties and the CRC undertook to further scrutinize whether their claims should be deemed eligible.
Based on a holistic review of the Class Action Settlement Agreement in response to consumer appeals, the CRC adopted a general framework for processing branded title claims, which has been implemented by Volkswagen. The following is a non-exhaustive list of
categories of branded title Buyback claims and the eligibility determinations that Volkswagen anticipates reaching as to each, based on the CRC’s guidance:
(i) Owners of vehicles that were branded on or before September 18, 2015, and were acquired from a junk yard, salvage yard, or the equivalent (i.e., insurance auction) with a branded title after September 18, 2015, will be deemed ineligible for compensation.
(ii) Owners who acquired their vehicles prior to September 18, 2015, with a non-branded or salvage rebuilt title may be eligible for both Vehicle Value and Owner Restitution if the vehicles currently have a branded title (including salvage and salvage rebuilt titles), provided that all other eligibility requirements are met. If the vehicle currently has a brand of junk, non-repairable, “parts only,” or any equivalent brand denoting that the vehicle can never be rebuilt or repaired, the vehicle is eligible only for Owner Restitution.
(iii) Owners of used vehicles that were purchased with a branded title and had a “salvage rebuilt” or equivalent title as of February 26, 2018, are potentially eligible for Vehicle Value if all other eligibility requirements are met. If the previous owner of the vehicle does not submit a claim for Owner Restitution by the September 1, 2018 claim filing deadline, the consumer also may be eligible to receive Owner Restitution in addition to Vehicle Value.
(iv) Owners of used vehicles that were purchased with a salvage title and continue to have a salvage title on or after February 26, 2018, are ineligible for compensation. Once a vehicle has been deemed ineligible to participate in the Claims Program
35 Consumers with a branded title vehicle deemed to be eligible also will have the option of electing an AEM.
due to the existence of a salvage title, no new claims submitted in connection with the VIN will be accepted for processing.
The Parties recognize that some claims relating to vehicles with branded titles involve unique factual circumstances. Due to these complexities, the Parties have advised the Claims Supervisor that they will continue to work collaboratively with the CRC to address such claims requiring more detailed analysis, so that determinations may be reached in conformity with the letter and spirit of the Class Action Settlement Agreement. As with all eligibility determinations, consumers may file an appeal from Volkswagen’s claims determinations with the CRC.
Following the CRC’s framework, Volkswagen has begun processing branded title claims that were previously on hold, and has reached determinations in connection with twenty-four such claims. Practically, the company is also providing notice to impacted consumers as their claims are processed. Of the 3,392 related claims that have not yet been processed, 1,935 claims are in the first ten-business-day review period, 1,199 claims are in the second ten-business-day review period, and 258 claims are in various other stages of the claims review process.36 The Claims Supervisor will continue to monitor the status of Volkswagen’s processing of claims involving vehicles with branded titles, and will provide updates in future reports.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
Judge Breyer has again reminded the defendants that their cars are on the road and the purpose of the settlement was to get them off the road. It's a clear rebuke of CRCs claim that they're only doing this to correct harmed customers.
How's that for spirit? ;)

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Lawyer: “some of them had their car totaled...” great use of lawyer-speak

As in “I had my eggs poached” which could mean I poached them or someone else poached them before they were served to me.

:rolleyes:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Not one hundred percent sure this applies to us, at all. But I do like the Judge's tone!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
So this is supposed to be good for us?
I'm not sure what other people are reading in that transcript but the judge is basically telling the opt-out attorneys to arrive at a resolution later that day because everyone else is being reasonable.

He brought in class counsel to serve as guidance to clarify any issues that might be concerning their clients and he brought in VW so they can offer some more value on the table...but the rest of the entire document is the judge explaining that VW has already reached 99% compliance with the settlement and an old jury instruction that basically says to look around if you're in the minority and figure out whether and/or why you are being the unreasonable holdout and if you're in the majority figure out what's holding the minority back from agreeing with you.

Nothing in here is relevant to salvage claims process. The judge's opinion could cut both ways: he could believe that salvage claimants are holding unreasonable expectations given how few the numbers are relative to the settlement participants or he could hold the opinion that VW is being unreasonable by not simply accepting these few claims. The impediment to that conclusion would be that VW, class counsel, and previous judicial opinions do not support the salvage claimants' position so they are the ones most likely to be interpreted as unreasonable.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Judge Breyer has again reminded the defendants that their cars are on the road and the purpose of the settlement was to get them off the road. It's a clear rebuke of CRCs claim that they're only doing this to correct harmed customers.
Not that clear:

"Volkswagen has come in and made a settlement proposal for a class of people to which only six-tenths of one percent objected. So I think you have to look at why your six-tenths of one percent is somehow more reasonable than 99.4 percent. That's right. You have to sort of figure that out."

He was rebuking the hold outs for not settling like the other 99.4 percent did and get their cars fixed or off the road. Taken in the context that this is to do with the opt out cases and not the regular emissions settlement. He is urging them to come up with reasonable numbers and settle quickly. Evidently the Judge thinks they should have settled like the other 99.4 percent did, if you read the rest of his comments. I am not going to type them out freehand. Read what he says about an "Old California law" in particular.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
C'mon judge Breyer made it clear that he wants these cars off the road.

Additionally, I'm not so sure this latest transcript applies to "opt-out" cases only as HO&P is listed as one of the numerous other firms designated by lead counsel to perform common benefit work.

Pony up!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
He was making a distinction between the purpose of the settlement, to remove non-compliant cars from service, and the demands of the opt-outs, whatever damages they are calculating in their minds that is leading them to refuse to participate in the "reasonable" settlement.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
C'mon judge Breyer made it clear that he wants these cars off the road.

Additionally, I'm not so sure this latest transcript applies to "opt-out" cases only as HO&P is listed as one of the numerous other firms designated by lead counsel to perform common benefit work.

Pony up!
He wants them off the road or fixed and can't understand why these opt outs are gumming up the works. Solve it he said to the plaintiffs.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Received an email from CRC. Not a very clear answer.

We write to notify you of the decision on your appeal to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel, and a Court-appointed “Neutral,” who is called upon to resolve any disagreements between the Claims Review Committee’s other members, should they arise. Under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement, determinations by the Claims Review Committee constitute final decisions that are not subject to any further appeal.

The Claims Review Committee has carefully reviewed your appeal and determined that you are eligible for certain benefits under the terms of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement. Because you acquired your rebuilt salvage (rebuilt after total loss) vehicle after September 18, 2015, the former owner of your vehicle may be entitled to, and may have already claimed, the owner restitution component associated with the potential settlement compensation for your vehicle. Therefore, your vehicle may be eligible only for the vehicle value component of the settlement compensation, which is derived from the September 2015 NADA Used Car Guide Clean Trade value, with adjustments for mileage and manufacturer-installed options. If the former owner of your vehicle has not yet submitted a claim for owner restitution and does not do so by the end of the 2.0-Liter Class Action Settlement Claims Period (September 1, 2018), you may be eligible to receive owner restitution in addition to the vehicle value component of the settlement compensation. Volkswagen Group of America will contact you if further action is required on your part. The deadline for participation in the 2.0-liter TDI Settlement Program is December 30, 2018. Please also note that the deadline for submitting a complete and valid claim is September 1, 2018, and you will not be able to alter your selected remedy after that date.

Sincerely,

Claims Review Committee

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
He wants them off the road or fixed and can't understand why these opt outs are gumming up the works. Solve it he said to the plaintiffs.

Likewise, VW has been gumming up the works for non-opt-out eligible branded title claims.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Received an email from CRC. Not a very clear answer.

Claims Review Committee
Why is that not clear? Seems crystal clear to me. Your car WILL be eligible for BuyBack. VW wants to wait until Sept 1st to see if previous owner will make a claim as well. If they do, you get vehicle value and no restitution. If they do not, you get everything.

This is excellent news for everyone.

Brica

TDI
Passat
Yurkin
When did you appeal?
What was the reason for your car to be not eligible?
Can you give us more details about the car (salvage,rebuilt) when did you bye it?
Thank you

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Why is that not clear? Seems crystal clear to me. Your car WILL be eligible for BuyBack. VW wants to wait until Sept 1st to see if previous owner will make a claim as well. If they do, you get vehicle value and no restitution. If they do not, you get everything.
This is excellent news for everyone.
I've understood that to mean he.she will get buyback minus restitution by middle of May as per the claims supervisor report and then be eligible for the restitution by Sept if prior owner didn't claim.

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
This makes absolutely no sense to me. I thought seller reinstitution was done with a long time ago, I'm a dealer and have sold plenty of cars but when I asked VW claims center, they said if I sold the cars and didn't make a claim as of 2016 I'm no longer eligible for seller reinstitution. So how is that being brought up now when the deadline for seller re institution has long passed???

mrahul

TDI
For cars with branded titles, the deadline for the original owner at the time of branding (owner who sells to insurance company) to claim restitution money is up to Sep 2018.