Q5 TDI, Malone Stage 2

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Thanks to Mark Malone and BuzzKen for making my 2014 Q5 the very first Malone Tuned Q5 TDI ever. We read the car on Thursday evening and by this AM Mark had come up with a Stage 2 tune and Ken put it into the car. Very nice change to the way the car performs especially when using the top part of the rev range, pulls smoother, stronger and longer. Moving off the line seems to have more snap too, I have never spun the tires on pavement with this Q5 until today. Nice! :cool:
BTW, other than the new Malone Tune, this car is still stock.
Future changes are in the planning stages. :eek:

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Well, its official, my wife noticed the tune and likes it. :)
An important milestone for sure as its actually her daily driver.

grayforge

TDI
2015 Q5
I'd like a tune for our '15 Q5 TDI and was looking at APR. Oddly enough, the local APR dealer here in the Seattle area will not install it.

Did Malone mention when they'd have info on the Q5 flash on their web site? Blaine, WA isn't that far away. :)

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Did Malone mention when they'd have info on the Q5 flash on their web site? Blaine, WA isn't that far away. :)
I'm not sure when Malone will have info on his site regarding the Q5 tune. AFAIK I am still the only Malone Tuned Q5 TDI in the wild so Mark may be waiting a bit to see how everything shakes down. So far so good!

Also, if Mark wants to Quantify the improvements, Ken (Buzzken) and I need to get to an AWD Dyno for testing. Mark may not want to post anything before the numbers are known but based on an earlier 3.0TDI engine I would guess that we may see 60hp and 25+ Torque.

If you would like to know pricing or want more information that is not currently available in writing, send Mark or one of his reps a message.

EDIT to ADD: Just looked at the Malone site and it looks to me like pricing is up but performance numbers are TBA...
http://www.malonetuning.com/30l-v6-tdi
DOH, Ken beat me. :p

Last edited:

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What kind of fuel mileage do you get? Notice any changes with the tune?

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
What kind of fuel mileage do you get? Notice any changes with the tune?
We have not even burned a tank of fuel in the Q5 yet since the tune but I can tell you that I drove from Orillia to Markham/Stoufville Hospital yesterday and averaged 6.2L/100km (37.9 mpUSg) each way. Now that's with light throttle and about 95kph cruise and my computer is usually out buy about .5L so I'm thinking it was more than likely 6.7L/100K (35.1 mpUSg). The tank will be filled by the end of the week and will probably be average to good. Will see soon. :confused:

Last edited:

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Update

Well it has been about a month and almost 2 tanks of fuel since we did the Stage 2 and we have not noticed any change in the FE at all despite enjoying the tune. :)
Anyone with a late model Touareg, Q5 or Q7 who is on the fence with regard to getting it tuned should give it a try, you will love the Malone Stage 2 tune. :D

GTT

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI (S-line); 2003 Golf
Wow, that is great. I emailed Mark over a year ago when I first bought my Q5 and he told me that it could not be tuned. I guess things have changed. Did you get someone else to flash it for you or did you do it yourself? Also, did you have to run logs like he does with 4 cylinder engines? Thanks.

Greg

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Wow, that is great. I emailed Mark over a year ago when I first bought my Q5 and he told me that it could not be tuned. I guess things have changed. Did you get someone else to flash it for you or did you do it yourself? Also, did you have to run logs like he does with 4 cylinder engines? Thanks.

Greg
Hi Greg, as I mentioned in post 1, the tune was installed by Buzzken. We read the Q5 ECU on the Thursday and sent it to Mark to work his magic and by Saturday AM we had the tune installed. I think that Mark required the participation of a willing Q5 doner (me), a trusted Malone TDI tuning vendor (BuzzKen) and the development of the tune over time on the newer Treg engines before he was willing to try tuning a Q5. We have had the tune for about 1.5 months now and it is working out well.

Ken will be making some changes to the vehicle hardware and tune in the coming weeks so I will likely have some more to report by this time next month.

Buzzken is located in Markham. He has posted in this thread and can be reached via his profile or by looking up Buzzken exhaust on google.

Regarding running logs, I believe the requirement for running logs has more to do with custom tuning and/or when you are trying to achieve maximum hp/torque or are having an issue with a tune that needs to be resolved. So far we have not had to run logs with the Q5 as we are not having any issues with it. :cool:

GTT

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI (S-line); 2003 Golf
Excellent and thanks for the info! BTW, I have a cottage 10 minutes from Orillia.

I am just waiting for a few more Km before considering a tune. As you can see, I had a pretty fast Golf TDI tuned by Malone that could give an M3 a run for its money. It was very reliable and still got better FE than stock. Not really looking for a dragster with the Q5, just something a little different. Besides, I find the brakes on these cars are a bit weak, especially when pulling a trailer.

Looking forward to hearing more about the dyno numbers. If you decide to dyno we could do mine as a comparison to yours.

NoBrainR

TDI
2005.5 Jetta, 2010 JSW (sold), 2015 Q5
Just traded my wife's 2010 JSW off on a 2015 Q5. Still learning about these motors, but do you know if he is doing the "dynamic EGR" on the 3.0 tune?

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Best to shoot Malone a note and Mark or one of his associates will likely get back to you quickly. I do not know the answer for you, Is there a dynamic EGR tune for ANY CR engine?

Last edited:

NoBrainR

TDI
2005.5 Jetta, 2010 JSW (sold), 2015 Q5
Yeah, I tried to ask them a question using their form on their site, but their spambot eliminator keeps kicking me out. I don't see on their page if they have the dynamic EGR on the CR motors like on the PD's. Just looking to keep the intake clean from the start on my "new" TDI.

So you've had the tune for 2 months, how're you liking it so far? And have you ever gotten any numbers to see what kinda bump you got on the HP/TQ?

Last edited:

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Intakes getting dirty has not been an issue on the CR's and there has been no demand to develop it at this point. The '100% solution' is almost finished and in production for the Q5's.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
So you've had the tune for 2 months, how're you liking it so far? And have you ever gotten any numbers to see what kinda bump you got on the HP/TQ?
No solid numbers but I like the change. I would think I am seeing similar numbers to what is advertised for the stage 2 upgrade on the earlier version of the 3.0L Tdi. It is certainly noticeable, less lag, faster/stronger pulls to higher RPM than stock.

I am currently away on holiday and Ken is keeping the Q5 Tdi for me. This 100% solution sounds interesting ;). I am curious as to how it may perform when I get back. :eek:

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Any videos of this running yet? Very excited to see the results!
Not certain what you are looking for in a video but I have been driving the Q5 with Malone Stage2 + BuzzKen Exhaust system and I am very happy with the result.

First, thanks to Ken (Buzzken Exhaust) and Mark (Malone Tuning) for taking the time to develop the exhaust and tune combination for the Q5 TDI, it took the better part of the 2 weeks that I was on vacation for the development work and Ken took very good care of the Q5 while he had it. He was even kind enough to drop us at the airport and pick us up on our return. Now that's service.

Subjective observations:

The Stage2 tune with stock exhaust gave a noticeable increase in HP and Torque. Performance improved from initial throttle right through to the top with less turbo lag and wider power band. The engine may have been hitting the EGT limiter and limiting power briefly however this was not really noticeable. If you want a stock Q5 TDI with a performance boost I would recommend that you get this tune.

Stage2 + Exhaust improves on the above by taking away the restrictions and allowing the car to breath. Very refined, performs like stock but with quicker response at all levels, put your foot to the floor and OMG, it just wakes right up. Instant :D. Fueling has been increased and it no longer hits the EGT limiter.

Sound wise, the exhaust is very similar to stock as it uses the stock mufflers. It just seems to have that little extra bit of rumble that says its special, I mean its almost like you can feel it but not hear it. The Q5 just feels different, more confident, more energetic and more powerful. I think that this is what a tune should feel like on an Audi.

I am not able to give you any hard numbers but I know that Stage2 + BuzzKen Exhaust is what you want if you are ok with pushing the limits a bit. ;)

Kj71109

TDI
2016 A6 Prestige
Thanks for the response! I guess I was just looking for start up, revs and a couple launches for the video. I have been in contact with Ken about a DPF delete for my A6 and hopefully he will have something soon. I love the way these cars sound with a DPF delete to straight pipe over in Euro, so that is most likely what I will do. I'm very happy to hear that your results have been very pleaseing! :)

Last edited:

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Thanks for the response! I guess I was just looking for start up, revs and a couple launches for the video. I have been in contact with Ken about a DPF delete for my A6 and hopefully he will have something soon. I love the way these cars sound with a DPF to straight pipe over in Euro, so that is most likely what I will do. I'm very happy to hear that your results have been very pleasing! :)
I'm not sure of my ability to load videos on the net but I can certainly shoot a couple for you and try to load to u-tube or something. :p

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Update... just loving the New Blue Q. Feels like a different car and just did the first full fuel up since the revised exhaust and Malone Tune were installed. Current Imperial MPG is 42.4 (35.3 US MPG, 6.7 L/100K), this is up from an overall average of 37.2 Imp. MPG. prior to the changes and previous best tank of 38.

illtww

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI/DSG
any updates?

i now this is an old thread.

How has the MPG been?

How is the car/tune and exhaust holding up?

Thanks!