My new rims have finally arrived.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 GSW TDI Highline Candy White DSG RNS315 Tint 18" Interlagos
After weeks, no months, my new rims have finally arrived. They're OEM reproduction Interlagos, my favorite rims and I can't wait for the warm weather to arrive. My next trip is a visit to my favorite tire guy, John at Consumers Tires in Markham.

Here are a couple of pics from my cell phone:

I hope they work out, it's my first attempt at posting pics.

Last edited:

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
They're 18"x8" +45 offset with 57.1 centre bore. I ordered them from Power Wheels Pro back in November, but just received them on Jan. 14/11. I thought the price and the shipping cost was fair and well worth the wait. The best part was they used FedEx, instead of Purolator or even worse, UPS.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
My stock rims are mounted with 205/60R16 Continental ContiWinterViking 2 snow tires. I bought the Interlagos for the spring, summer and fall.

A special thank you to those who posted the compliments. I'm really hoping that when the new rims are fitted with 235/40ZR18 Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires and mounted with the stock suspension, I'll be happy with the set up.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I want to try 235 too, although I will be doing it on 17" wheels, with 235/45/17. I think the slightly taller and fatter tires will fit fine and the taller sidewall should help fill the gap a bit and also protect the rims and provide a bit more comfortable ride. I love big fat tires and think it will give the car a stockier look. I'm not into the narrower stretch thing at all.

The Interlagos rep wheels are nice looking and I think they have an even better offset than the OEM version. With the OEM 18" x 8" ET41, there is a slight poke in the front. With the ET45 on your reps, I think they should be almost perfectly flush in front. I have 17" x 7.5" ET47 and my wheels are just a couple of mm short of being flush in front.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
To counterpoint, however, going with that tire size can and/or will:

*cause rubbing on fenders/wheel arch liners
*greater aero drag
*greater rolling resistance
*larger-than-stock tire diameter causes speedo to read lower than actual speed [hello speeding tickets!]

*monster truck/balloon tire disorder, IMO an aesthetic I don't prefer on most cars [muscle cars excepted].

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
SIZE: 225/40R18 vs 235/40R18

The 235's are only .16" larger in radius (.32" in diameter or 1.0" in total circumference), .4" wider or they protrude an extra 1/5" per side (a little more rim protection).
From what I've read on other threads, the speedo actually read faster than the actual speed and even with this slight increase in circumference, the speedo will still be over, but just a little closer to reality (+1.2%)
I hoping that with stock suspension, there will be no tire rub issues.

I would hardly call them monster truck/balloon tire disorder...Would you?

Last edited:

KIX

TDI
2016 Sportwagen TDI SE
I will go the Interlagos route, GTIs look fantastic with Interlagos JSWs should look as good.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
Que bonita foto....Photoshop?

Luckyme

TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Hello Elro,

I am what you call a newbie, but of the rims that I have been looking at, I really like the look of the Interlagos rims on the wagon. I'm considering using the same rims myself, but I prefer the 225/40R18 tires. Do you mind me asking where you bought them?

Thank you.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
As Ksing44 stated, Power Wheels Pro is where I ordered them from. The only things I may add, seeing that you`re in the GTA, are the shipping charges to Toronto were $99, centres are included and if you`re thinking of ordering them, I wouldn`t wait until the spring. Mine took a better part of 10 weeks to arrive, but I think they were worth the wait.....Cheers.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
As Ksing44 stated, Power Wheels Pro is where I ordered them from.
Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I saw you posted the source in an earlier post. I also was familiar with the website, because I had looked at them myself. Good luck with the new wheels and the 235 tires!!!

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
Congrats on your purchase! I've got a few questions for you:

1. Do the wheels have a JWL or VIA stamp on them anywhere? Should be on the inside barrel. These are approval stamps from the Japanese government (one of the few countries that test aftermarket wheels).

2. How is the paint quality? Any blotches, imperfections?

3. Was there anything on the packaging to hint at who actually manufactured the wheel?

I don't want to sound cynical, but the price has me suspicious.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
There are several stamped numbers and cast symbols located inside the rim on the arms. They are a little difficult to read, but they appear to be as follows:

(ET45) (MAX load 690KG) (PCD 112) (18x8 J) (C 16005) (VIA JIL) (10+symbol)
(H 1012) along with a several symbols.

As far as where they were made, the boxes were tossed out when I had my tires mounted. I suspect that they were manufactured in China, but what's new these days. Most of the after market rims, along with many of the OEM rims are now manufactured there. When I first questioned the quality of the wheels at Power Wheels Pro, they emailed me that the plant that manufactures the wheels was ISO certified and they are an OEM supplier.

The paint and finish is not 100% perfect, but I consider them to be very acceptable. On one or two of the rims, when I placed the rims under a bright light, I found a slight trace where the clearcoat ran a bit and a spec of dust that had been painted over.

I don't know how they would compare side by side to a set of $1200 rims, but overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

elro

Veteran Member
TDI
There are several stamped numbers and cast symbols located inside the rim on the arms. They are a little difficult to read, but they appear to be as follows:

(ET45) (MAX load 690KG) (PCD 112) (18x8 J) (C 16005) (VIA JIL) (10+symbol)
(H 1012) along with a several symbols.

As far as where they were made, the boxes were tossed out when I had my tires mounted. I suspect that they were manufactured in China, but what's new these days. Most of the after market rims, along with many of the OEM rims are now manufactured there. When I first questioned the quality of the wheels at Power Wheels Pro, they emailed me that the plant that manufactures the wheels was ISO certified and they are an OEM supplier.

The paint and finish is not 100% perfect, but I consider them to be very acceptable. On one or two of the rims, when I placed the rims under a bright light, I found a slight trace where the clearcoat ran a bit and a spec of dust that had been painted over.

I don't know how they would compare side by side to a set of $1200 rims, but overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW

Still happy about the wheels? Straight n true?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
To counterpoint, however, going with that tire size can and/or will:

*cause rubbing on fenders/wheel arch liners
*greater aero drag
*greater rolling resistance
*larger-than-stock tire diameter causes speedo to read lower than actual speed [hello speeding tickets!]

*monster truck/balloon tire disorder, IMO an aesthetic I don't prefer on most cars [muscle cars excepted].
I'm not so sure about these points. Yes on aero drag and rolling resistance, but since it lowers your cruising RPM you shouldn't loose any mileage. You can adjust the speedo with VCDS. As for rubbing, I've got a lowered car on 255/40R18's and get very little rubbing so the extra height of 235's shouldn't be much of an issue.

_MG_0038 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr

IMG_0411 by Toe_Ball, on Flickr