Common issues at 250k miles

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
Curious:

Going to look at a jetta that has over 400,000 km on it (250,000 miles).

What are some common problems to be aware of with this high of mileage?

I was informed that it has a new turbo and newer IP. It runs ok, but starts rough.

I planned on doing a compression test. Anything else? I have access to a vag-com.

thanks

Brent

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
heh... forgot to mention that it is indeed a 2000 Jetta TDI. ALH motor of course.

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Well you got most of the engine check covered. Check for "hidden" rust and check the suspension components they can get expensive to replace. Check all of the power things and see if they work.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Check for vibration in the steering wheel when accelerating. Just when accelerating indicates worn inner CV joint(s). Clicking in a turn is the outer CV joint. Constant howling is the wheel bearings.

I had one that had vibration when accelerating and braking. Required brakes & CV joints.

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
Good suggestions, thanks.
Our golf had a bad wheel bearing when we bought it so the howling is familiar.

Assuming compression is good, the engine should be alright. The hard starting could be poor timing, or bad pump. If it was a botched timing belt job which caused engine damage, i'd assume low compression in at least one cylinder. Sound correct? or is there something else i'm missing.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Just a few thoughts.

At 250k miles, I highly suggest that you consider replacing the camshaft and followers. They're worn, and the engine would benefit from proactive replacement to prevent future problems.

I also suggest replacement of the oil pump and the front crankshaft seals. Same argument as above.

If it hasn't been done, I would completely renew the bushings in the control arm, sway bar bushings, ball joints, struts/shocks and all mounting hardware, complete tie rod assemblies, and the rear axle beam bushings. You will have a nice, tight suspension after this. It's surprisingly reasonably priced to do this.

As for the axles. If they aren't broke, don't mess with them. Repair and/or replace as necessary.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Nobody has picked on the Timing Belt yet so I guess I will... Ask and get documentation about the last TB change. If they don't know or can't produce any verification, assume it needs changing. Find a TDI Guru in your area to do the work and order a COMPLETE 100k kit from one of the many vendors here (Dieselgeek, BoraParts, TDIParts, etc.) Good luck and enjoy your TDI.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
My 2000 Jetta is coming up on 259k miles. All the items that Parmedick listed need to be addressed.

Right now, there is a squeak in the suspension, front left. There is a wheel bearing roaring (appears to be right front).

I have an order of suspension replacement parts on the way. Hopefully all will be addressed next week.

My engine performs well and is about 9k miles away from the next TB change. I've been considering engine preventive maintenance. I just haven't decided how far to go.

So, in my opinion the 250k mile point is a good place to consider preventative maintenance, especially on the engine.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
1. Clean CCV, inside the valve cover Filters/scrubbers ( if it cloggs like mine you'll get a rough engine and lower power due to increased pressure buildup)
2. Check intercooler for oil
3. Check/replace all your braided vaccum hoses leading to your N18 N75 ect.

400,000 km on my 2000 nb tdi and she runs like a champ.

I know everyone is talking about preventative maintenance (cam and followers), but in my experience (my passat has 570,000km on it) I've never had to do those things as long as oil change intervals were maintained and the vehicle was driven decently and not abused.

Last edited: